Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-07-2007, 13:53   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [August Bank Holiday] Lansdowne Rd Works

We all knew this was coming, but of course its still not 4 weeks notice
If you live Dun Laoghaire inwards just avoid the train, bus is so much better in this situation

Note the works at Pearse are planned for October not in August, potentially other closure in Christmas 2007

The usual Greystones thing as always, so once again Bray Greystones suffers

Quote:
Iarnród Éireann has advised customers of service arrangements on DART, Commuter and Rosslare-Dublin services, to facilitate works required by the Lansdowne Road Stadium redevelopment.

To proceed with the demolition of the West Stand, the effect on services of the Lansdowne Road redevelopment will be limited to two weekends, namely: August Holiday weekend – August 4th, 5th and 6th 2007 October Holiday weekend – October 27th, 28th, 29th 2007

AUGUST WEEKEND SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS

DART: During the August weekend, DART services will be suspended between Tara Street and Sydney Parade Stations.

DART services will operate between:

Howth/Malahide – Tara Street

Sydney Parade – Bray/Greystones

A full timetable will operate on these sections, with minor timing alterations, and details will be available shortly.

A shuttle bus service will operate between Tara Street and Booterstown Stations for customers making cross-city journeys, or travelling from southside stations to the city centre.

Commuter: A full Northern and Maynooth line Commuter service will operate to/from Connolly Station.

Rosslare/Gorey-Dublin: During these weekends, Rosslare-Dublin and Gorey/Arklow-Dublin services will operate with bus transfers between Greystones and Dublin.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience and disruption caused by the Lansdowne Road Stadium development.

Iarnród Éireann will also avail of the opportunity these works present to undertake station improvement works at Pearse Station, to prevent unnecessary disruption in the future.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2007, 01:15   #2
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

bus transfers between Greystones and Dublin?????

Sher only a goat track goes between Greystones and Dublin. why not between Bray and Dublin Or even Wickla?

I asked the stadium redevelopment comapny on the ninth of May this year about anything and they ignored me. I've asked them again and I'll see what they say.

I'm not going to accept a reduction in service for what I've paid for without a good excuse.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2007, 01:18   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Oh yeah - Online timetable says trains are running.
Unread 27-07-2007, 21:04   #4
ThomasJ

The website is now stating as well as the posters that northside darts will operate to and from connolly. And shuttle buses will run between connolly and booterstown
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-07-2007, 10:36   #5
ofjames

We need the stadium badly lads, these works are essential. Therefore, 2 weekends of inconvenience over a 3 month period is not too much to ask for in my opinion.

no need to whing bout this one i think
ofjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-07-2007, 21:22   #6
Derek Wheeler

Feck no. I won't be whinging. Badly needed and long overdue. Our concern about this, has and still is the points of 1. notification (not everyone knows about landsdowne) and 2. that alternative bus connections operate efficiently, on what is a popular travel weekend.

In fairness to IE they are even running radio ads about it, so the message is getting out there. Posters are on display in stations too. But I'd like to see a more intense audio camapiagn on station platforms.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-07-2007, 21:46   #7
zag
Regular Poster

Default Shuttle bus

Does anyone know whether the shuttle bus will be making stops at/near stations along the way ? I hope so, but it doesn't sound like it from the wording of the ads.

What if you wanted to get from to somewhere near the canal - normally you could get off at Grand Canal Dock or Pearse, but if the shuttle is only going from Booterstown to Connolly you would be as well getting one of the scheduled buses.

I know they can't please everyone, but given that the bus route will pretty much run parallel to the tracks (along Merrion Road, then right at Ballsbridge, past Landsdowne Road, Grand Canal Dock, and right onto Pearse Street) they could just as easily stop near the stations.

What happens to the people who turn up at Grand Canal Dock (for example) on one of the days - will there be signage indicating where the nearest shuttle stop is ?

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-07-2007, 21:50   #8
Derek Wheeler

Great points.

Answers still outstanding though.
Unread 30-07-2007, 22:29   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Rail tickets valid on 4,5,7,7a,7e,8,45, assume it applies to monthly/weekly only as in the DASH project
Unread 30-07-2007, 22:35   #10
Derek Wheeler

City is crammed with tourists. Have IE made provision for that?

Answers on a postcard to.........forget it. Waste of time.
Unread 31-07-2007, 07:46   #11
markpb

I lived at Lansdowne road when it was closed for the upgrade the last time and it was a mini-disaster every weekend. The buses couldn't keep up - three or four would leave O'Connell St at all full and all at the same time so anyone getting on further south had no chance. Buses coming into town turned up incredibly late or turned up full.

I was never around for a bank holiday weekend, I can't imagine what it'll be like then. I'm glad I'm not relying on them anymore, feel sorry for anyone who is.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-07-2007, 22:54   #12
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The online thing has a bus service marked in for the weekend.
It's gonna take 6 (SIX) minutes to get to tara st from Connolly all day by bus on Saturday. It's gonna take 4 minutes to then get from Tara st to Pearse station.

This seems to be a bit of tricky timetabling...

4 more minutes to GCD
And 4 more to Lansdowne road.
Unread 04-08-2007, 21:10   #13
ThomasJ

Default Connolly side of things

At connolly they have darts going from platform six and seven and maynooth going from five. A few times today trains have been held up at the approach to connolly which is mad considering that he maynooth were running from seven they would have a straight run in.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 21:53   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well if a Maynooth train departure is followed immediately by a Maynooth arrival it blocks things
Unread 06-08-2007, 14:43   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It is interesting to note the southbound information display at Pearse currently reads

Next Train 2154, which would be the 21:25 from Howth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
At connolly they have darts going from platform six and seven and maynooth going from five. A few times today trains have been held up at the approach to connolly which is mad considering that he maynooth were running from seven they would have a straight run in.
There are some reports of a overhead line problem near Clontraf on Saturday afternoon which clearly wouldn't have helped matters

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 06-08-2007 at 14:46.
Unread 06-08-2007, 18:43   #16
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

re: buses leaving full ex O'Connell St - maybe DB should send some buses down route a bit and start from there since there's probably only so many they can saturate OCS with anyway?

With lateral connections from Green Line to DART stations and integrated ticketing it wouldn't be quite so much of a problem... oh well.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:14   #17
Mark

Taken over the weekend:

http://www.lrsdc.ie/_fileupload/DSCF...)_55991316.JPG

more pics at:

http://www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/photocat...CID=34&NCID=68
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 17:00   #18
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Reminds me of Parkhead when they demolished the three terraced sides. Eerie looking.

If the GAA had consented to move the All Irelands to Semple for a year or two (Lansdowne wouldn't have been considered in those days) Croke Park could have been done in one shot and much cheaper...
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:36   #19
ofjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Reminds me of Parkhead when they demolished the three terraced sides. Eerie looking.

If the GAA had consented to move the All Irelands to Semple for a year or two (Lansdowne wouldn't have been considered in those days) Croke Park could have been done in one shot and much cheaper...
Perhaps so, but the GAA still got it all done for around €300million, which is very cheap on international standards for a 80000+ stadium.

Wembley...€1bln approx!
ofjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 22:09   #20
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Two signs in Rush and Lusk station last weekend
One told about the disruption.
the other stated ther'd be a normal Saturday service on Saturday; normal Sunday service on Sunday and a Sunday service on Monday. from this station it also said so it wasn't a completely generic thing. but there wasn't a normal service on any of those days though....