Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:48   #1
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Default Pedestrian Bridge at Clonsilla

Work has begun (trees/overgrowth cleared) for installing the new Pedestrian Bridge at Clonsilla Station. A welcome (and overdue) development to improve safety.
Not sure what the bridge design is going to be, but I hear it will be a covered bridge (hope it is semi-aesthetically pleasing - the canal walk under the road bridge is quite scenic).
The new bridge should also help traffic flow through the Level Crossing.
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:51   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It won't do anything for traffic, the footbridge is going in to ensure the right of way is maintained after the level crossing is closed
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:06   #3
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

It will help traffic slightly, cars really slow down (and frequently stop) when crossing the road bridge to avoid pedestrians. I regularly experience the bridge from both a drivers and a pesestrians point-of-view.

I would think there's no need for the Footbridge after the LC is closed. "In Theory" the footbridge should be a temperary.
Surly pedestrians can use the existing road bridge once traffic is removed from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
the footbridge is going in to ensure the right of way is maintained
Why would right of way be lost???
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:10   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Level crossing is being taken up and a new bridge being put in several hundred meters away

The road is lethal at the level crossing

How would a non rail passenger cross to the station building ?
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:58   #5
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

My Understanding of the final plan is:

1. New Pedestrian Bridge (across the canal) is being Constructed alongside the existing Road Bridge at Clonsilla station (The clearing has already started). This is to improve road safety beside the station (as Mark Says, it's lethal there).
2. New Road Bridges (across the navan rail alignment & accross the canal/maynooth rail alignment) will be constructed the other side of Hansfield to from part of the Outer Ring Road, connecting Ongar to the N4 (Fingal Co Co Development plan has the road intersecting the N4 at the Leixlip (east) turn off). This will move traffic from the R121.
3. LC at Clonsilla will be closed, allowing local access only from the Luttrellstown End, and station access from the Clonsilla end.

I'm not sure what plans are in place to allow non-rail pedestrians to cross the rail-line. If it was up to me, I'd complete the project as follows:

4. A new foot bridge could be installed across the Rail-Line roughly where the current LC is. This would allow non-rail pedestrians to cross the rail-line. I'm not sure if the space allows it (will need to get my measuring tape out), but this bridge could also be used to provide Disabled access to Platform 2.
5. Remove the Pedestrian Bridge across the canal (purely from an aesthetically point of view). This would remove a modern construction which is not needed as pedestrians will then be able to use the disused road bridge. Of course bollards would be installed across the mouth of the Road Bridge, allowing ample room for a Pick-Up, Drop Off Zone.
6. Provide more parking space. This is a hard one. At a minimal, Fingal CoCo and IE should bang there heads together and make better use of the land along the road (parallel to the canal). This area could easily be developed to provide "rear to kerb" roadside parking. The same can be done across the road, where the current bit of green space is.
Unread 06-03-2007, 17:39   #6
CSL

Perhaps someone here might know if the current cycle /walking amenity along the canal will be preserved ?

since a new ped bridge and the spur to pace etc is being cleared ?

Only ask since I cycle up there a couple of times a year.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 21:18   #7
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
Perhaps someone here might know if the current cycle /walking amenity along the canal will be preserved ?
since a new ped bridge and the spur to pace etc is being cleared ?
Only ask since I cycle up there a couple of times a year.
Cycle/Walk path will remain as is at clonsilla (under the new footbridge).

As for the pace spur..... Assuming IE still intend using the old alignment (and existing bridge structures) over the canal, this will leave the old towpath under the rail bridge as the cycle/walk way. This is extremely tight and dangerous.
(Picture can be seen on page 3 here. Thanks to Meath on Track.)

Planning permission may require that they provide better access for canal path users.
Unread 26-06-2007, 16:29   #8
ThomasJ

The new foot bridge at clonsilla is finally in place. There still seems to be a bit of paving to be completed though. But progress. Out of interest it the enhancements as per the pace line that are taking place at clonsilla. Coolmine looks also ready to go. About time too. Right of way is needed at Coolmine
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2007, 08:04   #9
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

New Bridge is now open.

Personally, i think alot of people won't use it!!! Especially people coming from the Clonsilla Village end. We'll see over the coming days!!!!!
Unread 23-07-2007, 08:04   #10
ThomasJ

The new pedestrian bridge at clonsilla is now open. It ends at the entrance to the ticket office. A new bridge is also now open at Coolmine city bound side but ends at the level crossing
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2007, 11:15   #11
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonsilladart View Post
New Bridge is now open.
Personally, i think alot of people won't use it!!! Especially people coming from the Clonsilla Village end. We'll see over the coming days!!!!!
I take back what i said..... The vast Majority of people leaving that station seem to be using the new bridge. People leaving from Maynooth Bound trains are crossing the LC as usual, but then heading over the new bridge.

Of course it's not perfect, but it's a good improvement from a safety perspective and is allowing Traffic pass over the bridge more quickly and smoothly.
Unread 24-07-2007, 11:17   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Of course when you get to the far side of the bridge you are dumped roadside with no pavement and run the risk of getting run over by traffic coming over the canal and turning left
Unread 24-07-2007, 12:17   #13
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Of course when you get to the far side of the bridge you are dumped roadside with no pavement and run the risk of getting run over by traffic coming over the canal and turning left
Ah, an integrated solution.

Instead of integrating with the traffic at the LC, pedestrians can now integrate with the traffic on the other side of the canal.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2007, 14:16   #14
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
Ah, an integrated solution.
Instead of integrating with the traffic at the LC, pedestrians can now integrate with the traffic on the other side of the canal.
Yep... As i said...... Not perfect!!!!

Hopefully the new road layout and canal path will help (when it's finally started).
But the ultimate solution is to build that new road bridge that has been promised for ages!!!!
Unread 25-07-2007, 22:06   #15
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Could a short road section not be built to join Portersgate road viaduct over the raiway line with the road that passes St Mocta's Church and Clonsilla level crossing be closed to vehicular traffic in the very short term?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2007, 07:32   #16
davidth88
New to the board

Hi,

I have a friend who uses this bridge everyday , and I have driven past it a few times.

Talking about stupid. A bridge that leads to the middle of a busy / dangerous junction with no footpaths leading to it.

This a truly an accident waiting to happen, my friend reckons all it's done is speed up the traffic , she is truly scared to cross the road now .

Is there any plans to change/modify this , who was responsible for ' planning ' this ?
davidth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2007, 13:08   #17
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidth88 View Post
Is there any plans to change/modify this , who was responsible for ' planning ' this ?
Yea!!! I posted the plans here a few months back.
IE provided the bridge, but Fingal Co Co is responsible for the Footpaths, etc.
Unread 28-08-2007, 07:14   #18
davidth88
New to the board

Cool thanks

I assume Finglas are waiting for someone to get killed before they start work !

Ill give this info to my friend , and encourage her to write to Finglas Coco
davidth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-08-2007, 21:11   #19
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidth88 View Post
Cool thanks

I assume Finglas are waiting for someone to get killed before they start work !

Ill give this info to my friend , and encourage her to write to Finglas Coco
No Probs!

It's Fingal Co Co..... Just for the record!