Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-04-2007, 12:19   #1
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Default The State of Us

Did anybody see "The State of Us" on RTE1 last night.
Absolutely Brilliant interpretation of Martin Cullen.

There was one really funny bit where his "Advisers" tried to explain the Future Dublin Rail Map to him...... He got all confused about the Interconnector!!!

Hopefully it will give a wider audience a view of what our Minister of Transportation is really like.

I think it's repeated Saturday night..... well worth a watch!!!!
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-04-2007, 14:16   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its actually a lot closer to the reality than you think. Does Cullen have a clue about half the stuff he says? I was in Waterford to see the Cullen roadshow with consultants.

Bright side is Cullen won't be minister for anything with a bit of luck post May 24th

I have a iPod sized version (162Mb)

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 30-04-2007 at 14:29.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-04-2007, 18:44   #3
dermo88

Careful for who and what you wish for Mark, better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Although we have had ditherers like Shay Brennan and Mr "I'm Great" take a pic Cullen, we could get a flashback to the 1980's.....with Olivia Mitchell.

I'm no fan of Fianna Fail, they are corrupt but relatively competent. Corrupt and relatively competent is a contrast to honest and bust. Which.....is what we had for most of the time when Fine Gael/Labour were in. Then again, Fine Gael/Labour were something of the economic toilet cleaner for Ireland after Fianna Fail soiled the national nappy.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 16:29   #4
willow
New to the board

This is one of the top rated shows so it's good to see that the minister for transport not understanding the interconnector is a subject for mainstream comedy. Who would have thought the day would come?

Just think who could replace Cullen... The tv show suggesetd Willie O'Dea which sounds pretty likely to me. What about Dick Roche? Cullen moved from environment where he helped formulate the one-off housing guidelines that effectively ruled out any chance of rural public transport. Roche has been a very strong supporter of this policy and an advocate of roads over public transport such as the M3 etc.

Mitchell has a poor grasp of transport often mistaking one project for another in speeches. Shortall is far surer on her feet (maybe brighter or just uses a train more often). If the greens get in, they may get transport. I'm not familiar with any of the green party front runners other than Cuffe who seems honest and smart.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:46   #5
Peter FitzPatrick
New to the board

i reckon shortall would get it, which wouldn't be to bad a thing i reckon ... she is at least aware of the importance of the interconnector. FG worry me, not a mention of it.
Peter FitzPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 14:02   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If the greens are in the coalition they will seek transport

Olivia Mitchell is well useless, in fact the only politician we asked to have a meeting with who refused which tells you a lot
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 02:29   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its actually a lot closer to the reality than you think. Does Cullen have a clue about half the stuff he says? I was in Waterford to see the Cullen roadshow with consultants.
I was outside the Mansion House at the e-Voting launch, at which he admitted he is computer illiterate.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote