Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-01-2010, 17:08   #1
on the move
Regular Poster

Default Connolly Ticket Vendor Issues

Last night, I arrived at Connolly 15 minutes before boarding a scheduled Dart to Howth, displayed on screen at the entrance, as delayed by a further 4 minutes. So having no more than the exact change, and with no ticket office open, I had to buy a ticket at the machine. All was fine until it wouldn't accept a €2 coin. At the time, I couldn't use another method, so tried another machine, then another, then another. All 4 machines wouldn't accept it, and sent it straight to the change area. So having eventually got change, ticket was bought. This was following the "delay" announcement, with now 7 minutes free to get to platform 7 and board the train.

Instead, I looked on horrified to see the info screen at the gates, as displaying "Arrived Connolly", 7 minutes early. After going through the gates and rushing down to Platform 7, things got worse again when I eventually got to the train door, as it was just about to shunt out of the station. All I could do, was watch it sail past into the night, and take the long walk straight out of the station. I find it incredible that all 4 ticket machines wouldn't accept a genuine standard Euro coin, and this kind of nonsense only encourages fare evasion.

Does it happen anywhere else?
Unread 18-01-2010, 17:46   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

If all four machines rejected it, it would tend to suggest there's something wrong with the coin rather than the machines.

The attendant at the gate line will sell you a ticket in circumstances like this. Alternatively, vending machines accept credit and debit cards for all purchases.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-01-2010, 06:44   #3
on the move
Regular Poster

I checked the coin during the issue. It was a standard Spanish Euro coin, that is widely available. The coin was accepted by another non-train ticket vending machine.

During it too, a more common issue arose, where change wasn't available in one machine. Payment can be made with cards, but that isn't always practical or possible. The booking office wasn't open in the station at the time.

It was disappointing to not make the train after all that, but if it happened at a remote station in the country, the issue could either lead to fare evasion, or severely inconvenience the plans of passengers concerned. Neither situation is acceptable nor should it be allowed to happen by IE.
Unread 21-01-2010, 11:16   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

4 machines rejected the coin, that clearly suggests the coin was not within the tolerances expected. Dubliners will be well familiar with the classic 1999 pound coin and parking meter issue, the machines were right, it turned out there was a small change to the weight of the coin itself in that years issue due to a different alloy

Any machine which cannot give change will indicate that restriction before you begin the transaction. By design if you cancel you will be returned the exact coins as you inserted

All transactions can be paid for by credit or debit cards, no minimum amount restriction is applied

The clerk and the ticket barrier will issue a manual ticket in these circumstances
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote