Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-10-2010, 20:17   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is all helpful, key questions

1. How late was the train into Muine Beag
2. How late arriving Waterford
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2010, 20:57   #22
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

It's not really the point of how late it was but if IE expect people to use trains people want to get places quickly and not be stopped for between for between 5 - 10 minutes waiting for a train.

Take the 16:50 to Heuston.
Around a 7minute wait in Ballyhale.
Around a 9minute wait in Athy.

Thats a total of 16minutes waiting for trains.

I accept that it's a new service and I can see why it takes a lot longer than other services.

IE could add a lot more loops like Ballyhale. Between Cherryville Junction and Kilkenny anyway. It would cost a lot of money but it is badly needed or they could inprove the signals badly.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2010, 21:41   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its pretty hard to complain if the train is arriving ontime

Ontime comes first, once that is delivered then faster can be looked at. No point going faster with a broken system its more trouble than it is worth.
Unread 20-10-2010, 17:27   #24
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Last night for instance we didn't get off the train until nearly 9.15. Only found out after I had gotten off the train that the delay was added to by the fact that there was another train parked in our spot delaying us getting into the station. You'd swear waterford station was a hub of commuter trains or something, it's the last train into waterford every evening, how hard is it to ensure it gets in on time????

I seriously doubt irish rail will take a 5/10 minute delay seriously even if it does happen every single night. My train gets in at least 5 minutes late every night. I know this may not seem lke a lot to some people but when you've been travelling all day and spend nearly €150 on travel each week the least you should expect is to get in on time

Last edited by pixiebean22 : 20-10-2010 at 17:30.
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-10-2010, 19:43   #25
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebean22 View Post
and spend nearly €150 on travel each week the least you should expect is to get in on time
You should be able to radically improve that amount with monthly / annual tickets.
Unread 21-10-2010, 10:54   #26
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
You should be able to radically improve that amount with monthly / annual tickets.
Monthly ticket is €559 and a weekly ticket is €154. I buy a four day trekker ticket and try and book my 5th day as far in advance as possible to try to get a €10 fare on at least one leg of my journey but some weeks I could spend nearly €140 on tickets other weeks I could spend nearly €130 on tickets.
Unread 21-10-2010, 15:36   #27
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

An annual ticket for the entire IÉ network costs in the vicinity of €3400; if your employer participates in taxsaver you can save up to 51% of that.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2010, 16:01   #28
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Background http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=12808

Monthly tickets for long journeys are priced very strangely compared to the all route annual ticket
Unread 21-10-2010, 16:15   #29
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
An annual ticket for the entire IÉ network costs in the vicinity of €3400; if your employer participates in taxsaver you can save up to 51% of that.
I wouldn't be interested in an annual ticket, as the hope is that this commute won't last that long also, I'm on a short-term contract which has been renewed as another short-term contract so I don't qualify for taxsaver tickets.

Yes Mark, you're right there but since when did anything IE do make sense?
Unread 08-11-2010, 19:55   #30
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Sitting in carlow station from 7.35 until 7.55 this evening. Bravo irish rail.

Muine bheag arrived at 20.05 and then went on a go slow but eventually picked up.

Kilkenny at 20.21, left at 20.24.

Thomastown at 20.36, left at 20.37.

Train on a real go slow since carlow.

Go slow from well outside waterford station the whole way in, finally arrived at 21.01

Last edited by pixiebean22 : 08-11-2010 at 21:41.
Unread 25-04-2012, 23:46   #31
Carrage A
Regular Poster

Instead of starting a new topic. I was on the 18.05 to Hesuton on Sunday. We arrived in Kilkenny at 18.42 (1 min early). At 18.48 the driver closed the doors and started to move but was stopped by staff in kilkenny as passengers were still arriving at the station late and buying tickets. People were running in at 18.52 to get tickets. We left at 18.53 Is this acceptable to delay a train when passengers are arriving after the train is scheduled to depart. I have no problem being delayed if passengers were there before 18.48 and were waiting for tickets but staff in Kilkenny need to do there jobs and get trains out on time and not allow passengers to board if there have arrived after the departure.

I have never being on a train that has left Kilkenny on time. Some services arrive up to 5 mins early and still manage to depart late. All you get from Irish Rail is the general crap they tell everyone. They will look into it and get back to you but they do nothing at all.
Carrage A is offline   Reply With Quote