Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-04-2011, 17:46   #1
Traincustomer

Default More competition for the railways on a key corridor:

Bus Éireann will introduce a new timetable on their Limerick-Birdhill-Nenagh- Roscrea-Portlaoise-Dublin Expressway coach service (Route 12) from this coming Sunday.

The timetable itself is not online yet but the public announcement about the service refers to shorter journey times as this short paragraph from the online Bus Éireann release exemplifies:

"The service, which begins on Sunday, April 17th 2011, will provide customers with additional early morning departure times from Limerick City. This will offer the customer more choices and provide them with a faster, more convenient service from Limerick to Dublin Airport and Dublin City."

J.J. Kavanagh & Sons also service this route (Shannon Airport - Limerick - Nenagh - Dublin Dublin Airport route).
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 19:47   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

One of the few competitive advantages IE had over BE was three departures ex Limerick before BE's first of the day. One more thing to say byebye to.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 20:46   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

This route is very successful anyway so i wonder what extra services they are bringing to the table. Kavanaghs virtually offer a twenty four hour service as it is.
Unread 05-05-2011, 21:40   #4
Laois Commuter

BE12 now runs non-stop Portlaoise - Newlands Cross via the M7/N7, some of which run via the airport to Dublin. Dublin Coach have beaten them with a superior product (to both road and rail) which, from today, provides a 24/7 hourly local service Portlaoise - Naas and on to Red Cow and Dublin Airport. So, CIE basically are no longer an option for realistic travel options eastwards from Portlaoise apart from Dublin itself.
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:08   #5
ThomasJ

Its the greatest irony that you can travel between dublin and other parts of the country a 2 or 3 in the morning but you cant do this within dublin!

How has ut come to this?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:27   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post
BE12 now runs non-stop Portlaoise - Newlands Cross via the M7/N7, some of which run via the airport to Dublin. Dublin Coach have beaten them with a superior product (to both road and rail) which, from today, provides a 24/7 hourly local service Portlaoise - Naas and on to Red Cow and Dublin Airport. So, CIE basically are no longer an option for realistic travel options eastwards from Portlaoise apart from Dublin itself.

to be fair to BE they have the Kildare Bus Route as well which services Newbridge and Nass, and further up they bhave the Edenderry route which services Celbridge and they are both busy routes.

I wonder how Monesterevin/Ballybritas is being served though, when I used to use this bus they were popular enough stops.
Unread 06-05-2011, 15:16   #7
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Thomas J: "Its the greatest irony that you can travel between dublin and other parts of the country a 2 or 3 in the morning but you cant do this within dublin!"

Yes, you can: Aircoach does it. Maybe that answers your question: public sector unions.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:56   #8
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
I wonder how Monesterevin/Ballybritas is being served though, when I used to use this bus they were popular enough stops.
to answer my own question - cork services stop here still, which i think are every two hours each way.