Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 14-03-2006, 02:34   #41
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Fingers crossed there are no more hitches / cows on the line / unions demanding extra money due to the new liveries!

I wanna get on board one of these things soon, preferably before they are covered in moss due to lack of use!
Unread 14-03-2006, 10:17   #42
Kevin K Kelehan

They must by waiting for a bye-election on the route to pull the rabbit from a hat
Unread 28-03-2006, 10:23   #43
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

April starts this weekend and still of sign of these yokes getting into passanger service. What gives?
Unread 28-03-2006, 10:47   #44
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The delay is having a significant negative impact on service reliability

Its either the doors or the unions or both. The first trip was to be December, then January, then February then March. Not there yet it would seem and no sign of being even close
Unread 02-04-2006, 12:20   #45
MrX
Really Regular Poster

It could be the fact that the doors are not approved by one of the unions. You know how fussy they can get
Unread 10-04-2006, 22:54   #46
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Any updates on the status of the CDE fleet? They're quite late at this stage. I'm starting to think that there's some massive technical problem. They couldn't possibly be taking this long.
Unread 10-04-2006, 23:29   #47
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well I can confirm that its not the doors, the trains are not signed for by the CME though despite been deemed safe

We have received new information and it aint good
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:28   #48
James Shields

So if it's not the doors, that only leaves one thing?
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:29   #49
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Indeed
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:42   #50
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Mark, what's the CME you mentioned two posts up?
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:47   #51
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjstamp
Mark, what's the CME you mentioned two posts up?
Chief Mechanical Engineer in Inchicore, he has to sign the trains into service which in doing so transfers ownership from CAF to IE

There are a few issues with the coaches but nothing show stopping and nothing that hasn't effected coaches both here and abroad in the past
Unread 11-04-2006, 13:17   #52
sean

The unions?
Unread 11-04-2006, 15:11   #53
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its the unions without question

IE have dodged this issue when asked with double speak about further testing, put simply train is safe to carry passengers, yes it does have some issues to iron out but they are not mission critical

The whole thing is based on the train manager issue

Firstly the driver is responsible for the train, in modern times the guards duties are to open and close the doors and supervise the heating and lighting. The 201 class locomotive and the CDE coach control car have lighting and door control buttons on the main console so even the driver can do that

Driver only operation is in place on the majority of services so the need for a guard anyway is questionable so the plan was to get the guard to take over a customer service role checking tickets and ensuring the passengers where kept happy, as many complain IE staff are well known for hiding in the guards van so this is all good for passengers. If it where to all go pear shaped there is still a trained member of staff on the train

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-04-2006 at 15:21.
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:10   #54
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Classic.
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:40   #55
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The counter propaganda machine has rolled out, its the cows fault

Remember the cow that met its end last year when it got demolished by a CDE control car, well thats the cover story for the delay, that of course that is only 1 of 67 coaches. Two other train sets where available for testing, staff training and millage accumulation at the time

The train did not derail which in turn proved the train safe in high speed collision. If this had been a 1970's design control car it would have ended up derailed in small pieces. Polmont Scotland marked a major design change which possibly saved the lives of the staff on the CDE train

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-04-2006 at 16:49.
Unread 11-04-2006, 22:42   #56
GavinG
Regular Poster

For Gods Sake

You would have thought the IE mgmt would have seen this one coming. God knows they have had enough experience dealing with their Unions over the years. This should have been nipped in the bud months ago before even one of the new units arrived in Ireland. The jobs for the boys brigade are holding the rest of us to ransom again - They should be ashamed of themselves.
Unread 11-04-2006, 23:38   #57
craigybagel
Regular Poster

So what do we think the chances are of a solution anytime soon?
Unread 12-04-2006, 10:28   #58
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

I imagine this is a big benchmarker for the unions. Put yourselves in their shoes. Firstly this train dosnt need as many staff (a point I'll come back to), which may lead to redundancies, very unlikely, but you know. This is onely the Dublin-Cork direct service. Then, in December, the first batch of inter-city DMU's come in. Now I personally dont know but I can imagine the fear in the Union is that these trains also will not need guards and ticketmen, simply one or the other. These trains will be everywhere by, what, 2008?

These trains also dont need shunting trains in Heuston/Connoly and other terminii. Those lads will also have to find something else to do. Add in the reducetion and evelutal elimination of manned crossings and signals and suddenly theres a lot of lads looking for something to do.

What to do with surplus staff? Well, there could be a balancing equation, if there are more DMU's than there are exisitng trains and therefore more services they should all be OK job's wise but there may be a bit of re-traiing and maybe the dreaded word of demarkation may arise, which leads to a, ahem, "Negotiated Settlement".

Look, I'm not in IE, or anything else, but I was once a member of a union and we could see things like this coming a mile off. Also nowadays i have people who work under me and I have to be able to plan for changes and see things coming from a managment perspective. As posted above surely IE managment know the score? Why do they have to wait till the last second before they realise that things like this have to be accomodated and planned for in advance? If I ran my office like that I'd lose all my clients and Mrs TJS would be wondering why I'm at home all day.

But then maybe that's the problem.
Unread 12-04-2006, 21:28   #59
MrX
Really Regular Poster

With that kind of attitude we'd still be using steam engines... I mean where did all those stokers and boiler men go?

New trains might mean new services, more passengers, more jobs..

Typical CIE union attitude!!
Unread 12-04-2006, 21:50   #60
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Guess who was at the labour court today
Closed Thread