Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-01-2008, 12:00   #1
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Default When is a 7:26 not a 7:26?

Has anyone else noticed that the 'new' 07:26 service never arrives at Mullingar in the mornings at 07:26 - it's been a couple of minutes late most of the days I've used it anyway.

In it's defence, the change from 7:33 added to the reduced number of stops means I get to work 5 mins early for 9.10 instead of 15 mins late at 9.30 so thats a great help.
Unread 28-01-2008, 12:11   #2
ThomasJ

Ballymore how is the Maynooth-Drumcondra section of the journey?

Have to say that the Maynooth-Pearse all stops doesn't take as long now between drumcondra and connolly which is a good thing!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 13:54   #3
Ballymore
Regular Poster

That part of the trip seems to be fine, I've not noticed any particular problems in the mornings although admittedly I probably doze through that section most days!

It does seem though that the new train could go much much faster than it does presently. Is it's speed restricted because of the track standard or is there another reason behind that?
Unread 28-01-2008, 14:50   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

New train capable of 100mph but currently restricted to 70/75mph due to current speed limits. New train only really starts to get going at about 65mph, it gets quieter the faster you go

Talk within Irish Rail that some sections of the line beyond Maynooth may be authorised for 80-90mph, the large number of manual and farm level crossings may restricts this.

Sligo line performance is generally good at destination but can be hit and miss in the middle
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 15:21   #5
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Even as a passenger it seems that the train is capable of going much faster alright, it's like a high performance car just itching to be given it's head and zip along like it was intended to.
Unread 29-01-2008, 21:54   #6
John J
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Talk within Irish Rail that some sections of the line beyond Maynooth may be authorised for 80-90mph, the large number of manual and farm level crossings may restricts this.
Killucan-Mullingar and Mullingar-Edgeworthstown (beyond the lake) are two sections that spring to mind as being worthy of a limit increase... dead straight and I can't think of any important crossings
Unread 29-01-2008, 22:30   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its the small farm crossings which are the problem

Certain crossing types limit speeds to 80mph, note the Waterford and Galway lines limits of 80mph
Unread 30-01-2008, 10:21   #8
Ballymore
Regular Poster

This train was late again this morning but not just by the usual 2-3 minutes, at 7.35 it was announced that the train was having operational difficulties and should be under way shortly. What we werent given any clue about was where it actually was at that time so we feared the worst. Eventually arrived at 7.40

For the first time, now this may be the first time I've noticed or the first time it's happened in the carriage I was in, there were people standing from Maynooth. Not many now but a couple all the same.
Unread 01-02-2008, 16:53   #9
Ballymore
Regular Poster

I have to say I was glad this was a couple of minutes off 7:26 this morning as after driving several miles in blizzard conditions I only stepped onto the platform as the train arived!
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:00   #10
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Disaster this morning, although this train rarely leaves at the appointed time of 7:26 alluded to in the topic title, this morning it left at 08:18 arriving 09:30 at Connolly.

I arrived at Mullingar at about 07:23 and the ticket inspector told us that the train was going to be about 40 minutes late. Luckily enough there is a warm ticket office / waiting room there so that bit wasnt too bad. However there was the usual startling lack of communication between IR staff and passengers.

At 8.10 or so a coach appeared at the front door and a number of people immediately ran for that and to be honest I couldnt understand why as we ahd been told the train was due in 5 minutes at that stage. Obviously these people were in the know that there was a problem with the train and sure enough - When the train eventually appeared it was missing 3 carriages and there was a brief apology citing mechanical difficulties in Sligo earlier this morning. So some people did end up standing all the way from Mullingar.

As this train arrived in at 9.30 as opposed to 8:47 are people entitled to some sort of refund or something - or is that still within 'acceptable IR performance delivery' limits?
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:16   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Still within the limits I'm afraid, wouldn't be within the limits in Northern Ireland though which goes to show Irish Rail's tactics
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:10   #12
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Cheers for the info Mark, disgraceful really. I wonder what the exact problem was this morning and considering that it's on the brand new train is it going to mean it's 'honeymoon period' is over already?

Also will there be implications for the Longford / Sligo bound trains this evening?
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:21   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is only the 3rd reported serious problem with the new train

Its currently doing about 22,000-24,000 unit miles per week since late January, so its broken 100,000 miles roughly making 30,000+ miles per failure the Dublin Cork train during its first few months barely made 6,000 miles per failure

Based on the numbers the new railcars are about the most reliable of there type in Europe, the numbers will get better but its still way above average. Things will breakdown, that happens, what is curious is there where 3 separate railcar sets in Sligo, one wonders why they didn't just take one of the other 2 out while the one with the problem was being dealt with
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:35   #14
ThomasJ

Is there/Will there be reserves set aside (at connolly) for if a breakdown occurs on Sligo/Rosslare services and if a set is pulled for maintenance purposes once all railcars are up and running throughout the Intercity network?
Unread 03-03-2008, 13:21   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There should be a spare 3 car in Connolly

There never has been a spare in Sligo. At worst a 3 car will fail so you get one out of the 3 services from Sligo in the morning short hopefully the quieter service
Unread 03-03-2008, 15:47   #16
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Meant to include earlier - more ramblings about this mornings fun and games -

Access to the few seats on the middle carriage was hampered by the guy with the Catering Trolley. I was lucky that I spotted him as I was about to board and hung a left to the last carriage and nabbed a seat.

Now I know he / they only trying to run a business and provide a service (with ludicrous mark ups - not even going to go there ) but they could have some consideration and allow people access to scarce seats after an hour of a wait for their train.

I was also wondering what time the guys on the bus got to Connolly at and were they any better off by taking it?
Unread 03-03-2008, 15:50   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'd say you beat the bus, traffic through Blanchardstown is still normally mental
Unread 03-03-2008, 16:06   #18
ThomasJ

Buses from Longford/Maynooth wouldn't be travelling through Blanchardstown? I think they'd use the N7 or N9.
Unread 03-03-2008, 16:07   #19
Ballymore
Regular Poster

I dont think the coach was going to go to all the stations on the timetable so wouldnt have needed to go through Blanchardstown anyway coming from Mullingar. I got the impression it was going to Connolly only, but then it was only one short announcement and by the time it was made people were already queueing for the bus.

Couldnt see the point of going by bus myself, even if I had to stand from Mullingar surely the train would have to be quicker than the bus.

If they had said or expected it to be more than an hour from the offset I probably would have decided to drive to Dublin but that is obviously a last resort option - (unless I've really, really slept in ) - these days.
Unread 27-03-2008, 12:14   #20
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Still havent seen this 7:26 leave at 7:26 yet - but thats not my point today.

I was on it this morning and some very inconsiderate person / couple insisted on blasting out 'rave' music from their mobile phone I think (but could have been a fancy coloured Ipod or whatever). Jesus it was annoying at 7.30 in the morning. Even with my own MP3 up high I could still hear the crap.

I was one of several who moved carriages to get away from it.