Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-01-2006, 11:37   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Friday 6-1-2005

15:00 Dublin Cork

No pa made before departure, pa inaudible when annocuments made, no reference to catering which didn't reach the 2nd last coach till Thurles and the train was quiet by standards

Significant number of intercarriage doors where left open
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 12:24   #2
Donal Quinn

this is a fantastic idea - i know there is a thread for suburban already but having a specific one for intercity is great as each have a specific set of issues

i might suggest that this thread form the basis of a leaflet campaign outside heuston and connolly
"Had a bad train journey? IE not listening to you? Tell us!" - with instructions on how to get to the site and give details (basically the first post on this thread)

irish people are increasingly learning to complain and IE give no satisfaction
it should be easy to get them to tell their stories here - might generate alot of traffic as well because it offers a specific reason to come to the site rather than a generic "come and visit us"

i know the committee has plenty of scheme's and plans - just thought i'd add this to the list
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 17:38   #3
GavinG
Regular Poster

This is going to be a fairly busy thread ! Im going to print Marks original post and keep it as a check list for my next Sligo-Dublin journey on the 2900s. Im sure i'll get them on some cock-up !

What about the leaflets don mentioned Mark ? Is it a runner ? Shame IE into doing something....
GavinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2006, 15:10   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

9:00pm Dublin - Cork - Friday 13th.

1) Announcement before train departed completely ridiculous.
"Passengers who are not travelling please leave the train immediately as doors are about to close - doors are now closing please stand clear of the doors"
(didn't really give much chance if you weren't travelling and did actually have to get off!)

2) Large section of missing seats in one MK3 coach (just after the dining car)

3) Several seats in our coach had badly damaged arm rests. It looked like the front of the arm rest assembly had been knocked right off.

4) While the internal doors were checked by a guy in an IE uniform. One at the end of our coach (standard class 2 away from dining car) didn't work and remained open.

There were 2 problems, both of which I thought were handled very well however:

1) The train borded slightly late due. While the platform announcements didn't explain why, they did keep explaining that bording was slightly delayed and apologised. The ticket checker speeded things along by pre-checking all of the tickets in the queue. When the train did pull up, he simply opened the barriers and people rapidly boarded without any delay.

2) The dining car had a "technical problem with the boiler" ... however, the dining car person came on the intercom and she announced that she would be unable to serve tea/coffe/hot drinks due to a fault with the water boiler. I thought that this was quite reasonable as it saved people who wanted tea/coffee a long trip up the train.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2006, 18:22   #5
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
1) The train borded slightly late due. While the platform announcements didn't explain why, they did keep explaining that bording was slightly delayed and apologised. The ticket checker speeded things along by pre-checking all of the tickets in the queue. When the train did pull up, he simply opened the barriers and people rapidly boarded without any delay.

2) The dining car had a "technical problem with the boiler" ... however, the dining car person came on the intercom and she announced that she would be unable to serve tea/coffe/hot drinks due to a fault with the water boiler. I thought that this was quite reasonable as it saved people who wanted tea/coffee a long trip up the train.
Wow, that sounds like a railway company with an actual ethos of customer service was running that train. I'm surprised and gladdened to hear that.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2006, 20:29   #6
GavinG
Regular Poster

You got away lightly MrX, seeing that it was Friday the 13th

Still good to see the right annoucements being made.
GavinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-01-2006, 14:03   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Friday 20/1/06

6.55 train from Templemore (the Cork 5.30 now Mark 3 not 2d anymore...) a/c working VERY well in my carraige. Heating wasnt. Frozen. Thought it was the entire train till the ticketman said it was only our carraige and it was faulty.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote