Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-05-2008, 10:17   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This guy is known to Irish Rail management

He has resulted in a €32 payout to a passenger in recent times, probably the biggest payout for a non train related issue Irish Rail have admitted liability for.

If anyone out there has an experience, date and time please, you can email or pm it to either me or Mark Hennessy

This guy needs to be dealt with, that said don't try to be smart and try to force a reaction. If its during office hours call 01 703 2601 while at the booking office and see how HQ react, probably will freak the guy out
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2008, 10:49   #22
twintown
New to the board

How in the world does he still have a job there? I will definitely be notifying the HQ if anything further happens. What happened today is just a testament to how much he has changed his ways. Does anyone know if its true they wont accept payment with more than 10 coins??
twintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2008, 11:00   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its not in the terms and conditions, though they do ask for exact change
Unread 18-05-2008, 11:21   #24
zag
Regular Poster

Default Joke

Asking for exact change is a joke. What on earth is so weird about IE cash offices that they above *all other retailers* have a problem on the change front ? I have seen hand scrawled signs indicating exact change only at a few stations, but if I ever turned up with only a fiver and wanted to buy a ticket for €1.50 or something I wouldn't take very well to being told that they couldn't accept my legal tender (and let's face it, we're not talking a €500 note here) for a ticket.

And as for this "10 coins only" thing - that is beyond a joke. What next ? "Today is Tuesday and I don't take more than 3 €2 coins on Tuesdays. Come back tomorrow and I'll sell you a ticket. But don't try coming with any of those awful 50c coins - I'm fed up of getting them on Wednesdays."

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2008, 12:53   #25
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its not in the terms and conditions, though they do ask for exact change
so its not stated anywhere in the terms and conditions, that IR will only accept a 10 coin limit per transaction, this guy is an absolute cretin. for god sake, he's making up excuses to withhold tickets from customers, how has he still got a job????
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2008, 14:46   #26
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I know that several stations have drop-safe arrangements for notes for security reasons, and this may sometimes leave them short of notes, but really there should be no issues getting up to €10 in change at any time, at the very minimum.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2008, 21:36   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well head office know the rules since they went to great lengths to ensure the ticket vending machines never issue more coin in change than the legal limit

Speaking as a former bank official, you get very very good at counting piles of coin quickly so it shouldn't be a problem, they ask for correct change now they don't want it, generally you need to buy in change (below 1 euro coins) in the retail business so we are doing them a favour

This guy won't last much longer
Unread 19-05-2008, 08:16   #28
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

By all accounts, this guy should be severely disciplined and given a final warning, if not fired straight away. However no doubt this would cause a strike (and he knows it, so he carries on). Sad fact is that the unions will often defend the indefensible.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2008, 17:53   #29
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Thumbs down

Ah yes exact change only - you just look up the price of the ticket you want on irish rail's website in advance..... oh no wait, that's a big secret they can't be telling.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-05-2008, 10:31   #30
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I had one of their ticket vendors shout abuse and chase me down a platform because I gave him a €2 coin that he didn't recognise. It was a coin from Finland and perfectly legal tender, he just didn't recognise it as such.

It was highly embarrassing, I'm not in the habit of trying to pass of fake coins and it was totally uncalled for.

I actually thought he was some kind of psycho who had been hanging around on the station as I couldn't understand what he was shouting at me.

(this wasn't at Maynooth, but I think their vendors really ought to get a good course in basic manners !)

Last edited by MrX : 20-05-2008 at 10:40.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-05-2008, 14:14   #31
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I had one of their ticket vendors shout abuse and chase me down a platform because I gave him a €2 coin that he didn't recognise. It was a coin from Finland and perfectly legal tender, he just didn't recognise it as such.

It was highly embarrassing, I'm not in the habit of trying to pass of fake coins and it was totally uncalled for.

I actually thought he was some kind of psycho who had been hanging around on the station as I couldn't understand what he was shouting at me.

(this wasn't at Maynooth, but I think their vendors really ought to get a good course in basic manners !)
Finland, Finland, Finland... the country where I want to be!!
Unread 20-05-2008, 14:25   #32
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The official line is

Irish Rail does not comment on individual staff

I get the feeling if I show up I'll get the full treatment
Unread 21-05-2008, 10:25   #33
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I get the feeling if I show up I'll get the full treatment
I am so tempted... but this is a family site.....
Unread 22-05-2008, 15:07   #34
andyl222
Regular Poster

Well I went to the customer services booth in Connolly today and asked about the limit of coinage accepted per transaction by Irish rail. The girl there said it was 25. I told her I was informed by a member of Irish rail staff in maynooth that the limit was only 10 coins (and that this occured on a sunday morning so was by no means a rush hour situation). She just said the guy 'was probably just being ignorant'.... so she accepts quite openly that members of irish rails staff can be ignorant to members of public, how can any company accept that?
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2008, 15:19   #35
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

andy

it's not like she's the guy's manager ffs. She gave you an honest and accurate answer which is more than you'd have gotten from an actual manager - an answer which in fact might have gotten her in trouble if an actual manager heard it since punishing truthful staffers is often felt more productive than punishing idlers and gombeens.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2008, 15:29   #36
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is the fairly typical response of a decent staffer, sadly this persons spirit will be crushed in due course by the mess that is Irish Rail
Unread 13-09-2008, 22:36   #37
Sealink

Is there any update on MaynoothMan?
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2008, 09:55   #38
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

He is still there but has 'calmed' down a bit
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:25   #39
gerrygerino
New to the board

Default Ignorance in maynooth

Ive been using maynooth station for 4 years now, there are no station workers that i would term pleasant in the least... most recently i tried to bring my bike to dublin..... i forgot we were in the stone-age though because that has never been allowed...?This action was also met with a "what are ya bleedin thick" attitude but thats beside the point, being a regular user i have had the unpleasant experience of having to deal with these guys and none of them are good employees in my eyes, i have also gotten the 10 coins or less thing on more than one occassion... eventually i tried to pay a 4.30 fare with 10s and 20s at 7.55 monday morning that really pissed him off... and started my day off really well.... maybe we could orchestrate a mass action of this kind???!!!
gerrygerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 14:22   #40
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Any InterCity service through Maynooth using 22000 trains (most of them) should be able to take a bike. It fits vertically (wheel over wheel) in a cupboard near the two wheelchair spaces. You will need to get a staff memeber to open the cupboard.