Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 02-11-2006, 14:05   #1
al2637

Default Real time train information (NOT in Ireland)

2 November 2006

AMSTERDAM - Traffic-jam information site www.traphic.nl also offers up-to-date information on travelling by train as from Wednesday.

On the site an interactive map of the rail net is shown . Stations are highlighted then in several colours, which indicate if there are delays. When a station gets clicked on, an overview of the current departure times as from that location can be seen .

The site already offers traffic-jam information for a longer time. Mobility company Vialis and the NS railroad hopes that travellers will compare the train information, and then choose if they will travel with the car or via the public transport.

Any chance IE could do something like this?????

http://www.traphic.nl/trein.aspx
Unread 02-11-2006, 15:50   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://www.irishrail.ie/realtimeclontarf/ seems to work

IE have had colour coded real time maps of Dublin since the DART kicked off in mid 1984, just you can't access them and they are accurate to within a few seconds

It will work down a phone line in real time, now the clever out there could instantly see that this could enable someone with a little time to record precisely the punctuailty of the system and finally expose the system for the mess it is
Unread 02-11-2006, 16:35   #3
markpb

You can't seriously be comparing a single refreshing html page for a single station to the other site?
Unread 02-11-2006, 16:51   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its proof that there is no technological reason why we can't have it in Dublin, the back end is there already

Its the usual IE could do it if they where arsed but don't and given the state of the IE website and the at times awful spelling its hard to imagine they could work out a google maps style overlay

You will note the Luas site has nothing at all, not even a useless notice when it breaks down

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 02-11-2006 at 17:27.
Unread 02-11-2006, 18:23   #5
Oisin88

I get real time information on the intercity. The guys in some of the stations have a console telling them the time the train arrived and left the previous station.
In one particular station, you used to be able to see the screen by looking through the fasttrack window but then somebody repositioned the screen. Now you have to ask the nice IÉ employees!
They've even joked about texting me updates...
Now why can't I check this on the internet before leaving work so that I can go for a cup of tea instead of rusing for a train that will probably be late.
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:30   #6
al2637

I have no doubt the data is there, either from the station PIS, or the signalling system itself. Getting IE to actually let customers see it is another isssue....
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:39   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

You can see it in Pearse and Tara and Connolly on the little tv screens. It is strange how the on platform display isn't the same as these though( i.e. the platform displays lie) was getting on at Pearse on Halloween, tv said dart to howth was next then northern line. Platform said Drogheda counted down to 2 minutes then changed and a dart to Howth came along and Drogheda moved to number two in the list....
Unread 03-11-2006, 11:24   #8
al2637

Ok, forgetting about the internet and all this new fancy technology

Is there anyway IE could hook up the screens in the ticket office to some publically viewable ones in the station? or even easier, turn them around so WE can see them too!
Unread 03-11-2006, 19:01   #9
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Is there anyway IE could hook up the screens in the ticket office to some publically viewable ones in the station? or even easier, turn them around so WE can see them too!
Excellent idea.

Add to that a friend of mine's suggestion: The DART should tell you the time of the next train before you get into the station, so that if the next train is in 32 minutes you can hop on a bus instead
Unread 03-11-2006, 19:05   #10
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
Add to that a friend of mine's suggestion: The DART should tell you the time of the next train before you get into the station, so that if the next train is in 32 minutes you can hop on a bus instead
Absolutely, I've often pondered how useful it would be to have a display on the south side of the bridge over Westland Row, showing exactly what you've described. Could be done at Tara St too, fairly easily too I'd imagine.
Unread 03-11-2006, 20:09   #11
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
I've wanted one of these at the gates of Clontarf Road for so long. It's so annoying to get in and discover the next train into town isn't for 20 minutes while all the Malahide road buses go past.
Closed Thread