Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:27   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [article] Disabled man gets €3k over egg attack by rail staff

Quote:
A WHEELCHAIR user had an egg thrown at him by disgruntled rail staff, angry that he had to use the dining car when travelling on the train
http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/disab...xzz0Ia04HrJZ&D
http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/disab...aff-94222.html
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 09:05   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Unbelievable stuff really.

Of course if wasn't IE staff, right?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 09:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It this case the catering staff where still employed by IE
Unread 16-06-2009, 12:54   #4
finnyus

Unhappy

I read it earlier, but didnt get a chance to post it! I was shocked when I read it. Was it a MK3 or MK4 train? Did it anything happen to the egg thrower?

I was at Connolly Station on the 31st January this year, was around 08:30. An elderly man and his son (who was sick I believe) had just come from the DART/suburban platforms and were heading for the IE staff member at the ticket barrier desk. The man (who was hard of hearing) asked where could he get the Luas. The staff member told him where it was. The man said sorry and could he repeat that. The staff member shouted at the man, the man said thank you and headed off with his son in tow. Within ear shot of a few others and myself (and the man if he had better hearing), the IE staff member said, "Stupid b*ll*x!". I swear, my mouth dropped

The IE staff member just went back to chatting of IE staff that had congregated at the desk for their 8's or 9's (or breakfast!).

One man who heard it told the staff member he was a disgrace and who ever put him at the desk would want their head examined! The staff member was like, "Ya, ya - whatever...!".

Its an utter disgrace!!!!

Finbarr.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 13:50   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Given that it took place in 2000, it could not have been a Mk4 train. Could have been a Mk2 or Mk3. Not that it's all that relevant

Obviously we have no details on what happened to the thrower.

To your own story — certainly poor behaviour, but had the IÉ staff member reason to know that the man was hearing-impaired?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 14:26   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Having read the Equality Tribunal's decision, it's worth noting that the €3000 was awarded for staff conduct towards the passenger. The egg-throwing incident, though deplorable, happened prior to the commencement of the Equal Status Act, and was not actionable.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 15:16   #7
finnyus

apologies.. I read the article too fast, and did not read the 2000

As for the incident I witnessed. The man just asked for the IE staff member to repeat what he had said. Definitely did not warrant a "Stupid b*ll*x!".

My work involves interacting with customers, getting requirements from them to develop IT solutions for them. There are some days when I am like, "WTF are you asking me?!" and possibly want to say to them "Stupid b*ll*x!", but as part of my customer relations I know better!
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 16:04   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Link to report http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/index...165&docID=2045

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 16-06-2009 at 16:07.
Unread 28-06-2009, 13:15   #9
MrX
Really Regular Poster

While standards have definitely improved, particularly since the introduction of the MK4 trains on the Cork-Dublin line, I have certainly experienced absolutely disgraceful behaviour from IE staff.

One of the worst was where my elderly grandmother (87) who had just had a hip operation was getting off the MK4 Cork train at Heuston.

She was seriously struggling up the platform and I went to assist and was refused entry to the platform. You'd swear I was going to steal the train or something the way they went on.

Eventually, a much older member of staff told the younger guy to 'cop on to himself' and I was let through.

I also remember an incident where she was boarding a train, with a senior citizen ticket which she had already collected from the ticket desk, using her ID. She had then put her travel pass into her luggage and continued onto the platform. The ticket checker made a HUGE scene and made her dig through all of her bags until she found her pass.

The woman's in her 80s and looks every day of it, there's no way you could mistake her for under 65. It was just some jobsworth being a total -----.

I have also had unbelievable behaviour from DART ticket offices. Rude would be an understatement, just damn offensive stuff.

There's no point in complaining as we all know nothing will be done about it.

As for that man, he should have called the Gardai and pressed charges for assault against the individual involved.

That is just the behaviour of an absolute thug.

Last edited by MrX : 28-06-2009 at 13:17.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2009, 07:28   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
The woman's in her 80s and looks every day of it, there's no way you could mistake her for under 65. It was just some jobsworth being a total -----.
Whatever about the other stuff, staff are obliged to check tickets and passes and most people know to retain both for inspection. Not everyone over 65 is entitled to a pass, e.g. non residents.

Most staff are happy enough with pass holders that they know.