Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-03-2010, 12:26   #1
EnterpriseUser

Default Recent Cork trip

I took the 1200 to Cork yesterday and the 0630 up this morning. It is not a route I use very often. I was very impressed with the train; the helpfulness of IE personnel and overall experience. I had lunch on the way down and breakfast on the way up. Both meals excellent and reasonably priced. Breakfast on Aer Lingus (tiny by comparison ) is around the same price. We were early into Cork and Dublin. A faster service would be worth having; in fact it is someting of a mystery that with the enormous investment in infrastructure and trains that timings are not much faster.

The clockface timetable is a superb innovation; in the old service model there seemed little logic in the timetable.

All in all, the Dublin Cork service is up there with the best in these islands and so much better than anything previously experienced. One does miss the old days of the 1730 down to Cork which was like a club in motion with what seemed like industrial quantities of Paddy and Cork Dry being consumed! Those days are gone forever.
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 20:18   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseUser View Post
A faster service would be worth having; in fact it is someting of a mystery that with the enormous investment in infrastructure and trains that timings are not much faster.
Cork-Dublin probably has, on average, the oldest track of the main lines, a lot of it dating back to the late 1980s and there are quite a few sections that aren't up to scratch and have speed restrictions. The next few years, should see improvements with a new (to Ireland) type of track and the bedding in of Hazelhatch-Heuston.
Unread 03-03-2010, 21:03   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Late 1970's in places, though the very oldest sections of track near Templemore are still taken at 90mph.

Its all about proper maintenance, the track north of Portlaois is in much worse condition than that south of, different local management.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 21:16   #4
kieran4003
New to the board

Is it true there is some heavier track being put down or something and the train will be smoother? Sometimes i find the train very shaky and it can sway too from side to side i think.
kieran4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 22:11   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All renewed track is going to be UIC60 type, there are stretches between Portlaoise and Portarlington, around Charleville and the pair of new Kildare route tracks.

Its heavier, stiffer and significantly smoother and boy you notice it when you cross onto the good stuff!
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 23:24   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its heavier, stiffer and significantly smoother and boy you notice it when you cross onto the good stuff!
Yup, its more a metal rolling on metal sound than shake, rattle and roll.
Unread 04-03-2010, 16:47   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

UIC60 might make rail neighbours happier too:
http://ec.europa.eu/research/growth/...tion-rail.html
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 17:02   #8
finnyus

Its now in place on stretches between Cork and Mallow as well.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote