Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-08-2013, 13:50   #21
joey
Regular Poster

Default 1300 ex Sligo

3 car set today out of Sligo, jammed with no space. Why would this not run as a 6 car set? I know this is the up train from the 8am ex Dublin which is 3 car also
Friday afternoon is busy with commuters going to Dublin for the weekend

Just passed a 29k operating the 1300 ex Dublin, unbelievable.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-08-2013, 20:25   #22
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

The 1305 from Dublin and 1800 from Sligo is always a 29k on Fridays, as the ICR that would normally be on it is used to strengthen the 1505 service to Sligo to a six piece due to the higher loadings on the latter train.

Where do you suggest that an additional ICR for the 0800 ex-Dublin would come from? All of the Connolly sets are in service at that stage.

Similarly the 0905 from Dublin and 1300 from Sligo on Sundays are always 29k operated.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-08-2013, 12:38   #23
joey
Regular Poster

The 29k are not ideal for intercity travel, incredibly uncomfortable.

Plenty of spare capacity idle at portlaoise. These could be use to increase the ICR capacity on the Sligo line. There is even talk of using the ICR on the Belfast line, where would this capacity come from?
Unread 17-08-2013, 13:18   #24
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
The 29k are not ideal for intercity travel, incredibly uncomfortable.

Plenty of spare capacity idle at portlaoise. These could be use to increase the ICR capacity on the Sligo line. There is even talk of using the ICR on the Belfast line, where would this capacity come from?
There are cost implications of doing that. The reality is that the maintenance budget has constrained the number of sets that are in service at any one time, and the company needs to work around that.

Unless money is found from elsewhere to increase that number (and currently the subsidy is reducing), the situation cannot change.

I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding the suitability of 29k sets, but we are talking about two trains per week here.
Unread 17-08-2013, 19:21   #25
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

With IE openly trialling 4 and 5 car 22000 sets it's hard to know what will be travelling on the rails this time next year.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-08-2013, 16:45   #26
joey
Regular Poster

Excellent

Why will they use the 22k on the docklands - m3 parkway route when these could be used on the Sligo intercity route? Baffling and why is there not a need to use the 29k on the Sligo route at any other time during the week?

Last edited by joey : 18-08-2013 at 22:26.
Unread 22-08-2013, 12:08   #27
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
With IE openly trialling 4 and 5 car 22000 sets it's hard to know what will be travelling on the rails this time next year.
According to sources, the most likely outcome will be 4 car 22ks and 6 car 22ks this time next year.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-08-2013, 22:18   #28
joey
Regular Poster

Could live with a four car set, as long as IR disperse these sets accordingly not on popular routes and peak times.
Unread 24-08-2013, 12:00   #29
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Excellent

Why will they use the 22k on the docklands - m3 parkway route when these could be used on the Sligo intercity route? Baffling and why is there not a need to use the 29k on the Sligo route at any other time during the week?
Tis baffling alright. Those horrible 29ks should be on docklands m3 parkway. End of.

Yes, the majority of Sligo trains are 22k but it's simply not good enough. Every single train Mon - Sun should be 22k. A three hour InterCity service should NEVER be 29k operated. This must end. We will keep hounding Irish Rail until this happens. They are not getting away with it.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2013, 18:29   #30
James Howard

I couldn't agree more. The 29Ks are inadequate for this type of service - I avoid taking 29K-operated services on my commute from Edgeworthstown as they are simply not suitable. They are loud and there isn't enough space at the tables to get any work done.

To be honest, I preferred the old Mark 2s to even the 22Ks. I don't like noise when I am travelling and there was a lot to be said for being three or four cars behind the engine. In fairness though, they were a tad unreliable during leaf-slip season.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2013, 02:23   #31
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
To be honest, I preferred the old Mark 2s to even the 22Ks. I don't like noise when I am travelling and there was a lot to be said for being three or four cars behind the engine. In fairness though, they were a tad unreliable during leaf-slip season.
Allegedly but for uproar in Sligo you could have had Mark 3s
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2013, 09:57   #32
joey
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
The 1305 from Dublin and 1800 from Sligo is always a 29k on Fridays, as the ICR that would normally be on it is used to strengthen the 1505 service to Sligo to a six piece due to the higher loadings on the latter train.

Where do you suggest that an additional ICR for the 0800 ex-Dublin would come from? All of the Connolly sets are in service at that stage.

Similarly the 0905 from Dublin and 1300 from Sligo on Sundays are always 29k operated.
There must be plenty of spare capacity with the 22k. How come they can find extra service from Sligo today for the Mayo fans going to the game in Croke park and use the 22k. If they can provide this type of rail car on extra services there must be spare capacity for the 0905 ex Dublin on a Sunday and the 1500 ex Dublin on a Friday
Not good enough IR
Unread 25-08-2013, 12:02   #33
Jamie2k9

Quote:
There must be plenty of spare capacity with the 22k. How come they can find extra service from Sligo today for the Mayo fans going to the game in Croke park and use the 22k. If they can provide this type of rail car on extra services there must be spare capacity for the 0905 ex Dublin on a Sunday and the 1500 ex Dublin on a Friday
Not good enough IR
Sunday isn't Friday where capacity is limited. There is 3 6 coach sets in Sligo on Sundays, while the 09.00 and 11.00 are operated by 3 coaches. That's 12 coaches available for extra services if required.

The bulk of spare capacity of 22's on the route are in Sligo and not Dublin on weekends like most intercity routes.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2013, 20:56   #34
joey
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Sunday isn't Friday where capacity is limited. There is 3 6 coach sets in Sligo on Sundays, while the 09.00 and 11.00 are operated by 3 coaches. That's 12 coaches available for extra services if required.

The bulk of spare capacity of 22's on the route are in Sligo and not Dublin on weekends like most intercity routes.
I appreciate that and with the valid point made around Sundays. Whilst there are 22ks operating the docklands - m3 parkway route during the week I'm afraid the argument of having 22ks operating intercity services on the Sligo route is valid enough mon-sun. Even Pearse - Maynooth gets the odd 22k during the week.

It's not like asking for 22ks to be taken off the say Galway route to use on the Sligo branch, they are there already doing commuter routes on the Sligo line.

Hello??
Unread 25-08-2013, 21:05   #35
joey
Regular Poster

0900 Dublin - Sligo on a Sunday, 1300 next train ex Dublin, really.....
How they come up with that, it's not on. Sligo route I think is being mothballed like the Dublin - Belfast, if IR could get rid if it they would.

West & North don't exist on IR....
Unread 25-08-2013, 22:44   #36
ThomasJ

Maybe they were thinking of those that had to endure standing on the busy Sunday afternoon/evening services.

I had to endure standing on a 22k on a rush hour maynooth service. The worst train journey I have ever been on. If its bad on a commuter service could you imagine how bad it is on a long journey service.

The 22ks are the worst train on the network for those standing on journies. The 29ks may not be as comfortable for those sitting on intercity journies but for those standing they wipe the floor with the 22ks.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2013, 11:35   #37
James Howard

Perhaps if they put the 22k on an intercity service rather than a rush-hour Maynooth service, then there wouldn't have been a problem. Actually, standing on a 22k commuter service must be a real struggle, but isn't as bad on inter-city as you don't have a stop every 5 minutes with people trying to shove past you to get off.

Long-distance rolling stock is for long distances, commuter rolling stock is for short distances. The former is optimised for seating capacity, cruising speed and comfort while the latter is optimised for standing capacity and acceleration. To take your point to its logical conclusion why not just rip all of the seats out of the 22ks which would create loads of standing room.

Yes, standing on intercity services is not comfortable but you can avoid it by either booking or arriving early. On a Sligo line service with adequate capacity, it is very rare to see large numbers standing beyond Maynooth in any case.

If I were travelling to Sligo and the only train option available was a 29k, I would take the bus out of preference. It takes about the same time, it is usually cheaper, you are guaranteed a seat (on Bus Eireann), it is quieter and more comfortable.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2013, 22:28   #38
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

A train that is available to operate a peak time service from Maynooth on a weekday isn't necessarily available for a Friday/Sunday intercity service to Sligo, as it may be rostered elsewhere.
Unread 27-08-2013, 10:58   #39
Jamie2k9

Just thinking the 22's that operate the off peak M3 Parkway services are rostered for one o the Rosslare evening services which is why they can't run to Sligo.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2013, 11:32   #40
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
0900 Dublin - Sligo on a Sunday, 1300 next train ex Dublin, really.....
How they come up with that, it's not on. Sligo route I think is being mothballed like the Dublin - Belfast, if IR could get rid if it they would.

West & North don't exist on IR....
That's a rather daft comment - how many people do you think want to travel to Sligo on a Sunday morning?

I would wager not that many.

The peak flow is from Sligo on Sundays, which is why the schedule is built the way it is.

Most other routes have long gaps in service on Sunday mornings from Dublin - the loadings just aren't there. People start to move in numbers from lunchtime onwards.