Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 31-05-2011, 15:44   #1
TheQ47
New to the board

Default Longford-Dublin family ticket prices

Hi, new user here, semi-regular train user, a couple of times a month.

I was looking at bringing my family from Ballymote to Dublin Connolly on a day return this Sunday, 5th June (going to the Bloom Festival in the Phoenix Park). Looking online, it would cost me €132 (i.e., €44 per adult, and €22 for each of 2 children).

I tried to ring the station in Sligo, and the guy on the phone told me it would cost me the same by buying in the station.

Someone told me that if I were to drive to Longford, park there, and buy my day return from there, it would only cost €15 per adult, and €7.50 per child, a total cost of €45. Is this correct? I can't find any sign of the fare from Longford-Dublin on the irishrail website, so I'm a bit dubious that it would be this low.

Does anyone know if these prices are correct? I can't book online for a ticket from Longford (why is this?), so I can't check the price there. Because we're travelling as a family, I'd like to be able to book my seats in advance, to ensure that the 5 of us could travel together.

Is there a cost for parking in Longford? I used to do this regularly before the "new" Sligo-Dublin service, so I don't know if this has changed now.

Any help would be appreciated.
TheQ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-05-2011, 16:10   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Those fares are correct. Sunday is defined as a peak day for intercity services (a family return on Saturday would be €74).

There is indeed a promotional fare of €15 from Longford to Dublin on weekends (see http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp near the bottom). I believe car parking at Longford is €2 a day.

You will not be able to have five people sitting together in any case (you changed from four to five halfway through your post) as there are no banks of more than four seats together.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:30   #3
TheQ47
New to the board

Default Thanks

Thanks, Thomas, I appreciate the reply. I never saw the promotional fares at the very bottom of that page. I wonder why it's so far down, they're hardly trying to hide it from people, are they?

The reason it changed from 4 to 5 children along the way, is that the youngest is 3, so I know there's no charge for her. She'll probably end up sitting on my or my wife's knee, so no worry about 4 or 5 seats together.
TheQ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:48   #4
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQ47 View Post
The reason it changed from 4 to 5 children along the way, is that the youngest is 3, so I know there's no charge for her. She'll probably end up sitting on my or my wife's knee, so no worry about 4 or 5 seats together.
Fair enough. Do bear in mind if you are taking bus/Luas/local train services around Dublin that children of 3 and 4 are supposed to pay child fare on them, although it starts at 5 on Intercity.
Unread 01-06-2011, 13:55   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There will be a 50 euro return (2 + 4) family ticket anywhere to anywhere on Saturdays during the Summer, so that would allow Sligo-Dublin for 50 euro all in

We don't have a start date on the offer yet, but soon

As Thomas points out the age rules are a bit strange. In practice if a child does not occupy a seat no fare is due, if the child needs a seat a ticket must be obtained.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 01-06-2011 at 14:03.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 14:54   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There will be a 50 euro return (2 + 4) family ticket anywhere to anywhere on Saturdays during the Summer, so that would allow Sligo-Dublin for 50 euro all in
Is that this one: http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...w&news_id=1122 ? It seems to suggest it's Dublin to anywhere rather than anywhere to anywhere.