Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-10-2010, 11:27   #1
sean

Default [25/10/2010] Fun and games on the Sligo line yesterday.

Got the Sligo-Dublin train in and out of Dublin yesterday, leaving Edgeworthstown at 2:35PM and returning at 7:05.

First of all, props to IE for actually managing to organise a Midland line/Connolly P7 replacement service at all - not a big deal but impressive by the standards I expect of CIE/Irish Rail.

The train in was a 29000, as was a (I think?) Sligo bound train waiting on the other platform. As was yet another Sligo bound train an hour later at Maynooth. What gives? I have seen a number of Sligo/Dublin trains run as 29ks recently but usually am lucky enough to avoid them.

Additionally, the train sat for 20 minutes at a Green (feather aspect unlit, indicating the train was cleared to go on the Midland line) signal at Glasnevin Junction. To the drivers credit, he/she did make announcements, but this being Irish Rail, they were inaudible and the only thing I heard was something about 10 minutes and what sounded like a handset being hung up. 3 times for the latter. Finally a "Sligo" 22k train came from the Midland line and our driver and theirs switched trains. We then carried on to Connolly P7.

I finally figured that our original driver must not have been passed to run on the Midland railway.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-10-2010, 20:57   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
The train in was a 29000, as was a (I think?) Sligo bound train waiting on the other platform. As was yet another Sligo bound train an hour later at Maynooth. What gives? I have seen a number of Sligo/Dublin trains run as 29ks recently but usually am lucky enough to avoid them.
Sligo InterCity= 22k. Please people, complain to Irish Rail if you find yourself on a Sligo bound train that is a 29000 commuter. I know most trains are 22ks but most is not good enough. They should all be InterCity standard.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-10-2010, 23:11   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a long standing pair of 8 coach 29k services on Sunday to Sligo due to rostering issues due to the ongoing shortage of ICR sets. Not acceptable but in the absence of more trains likely to continue.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-11-2010, 08:12   #4
lambo77
Regular Poster

Thumbs down enfield this mornung

Sligo Dublin train arrived enfiekd at 8am. Passengers boarded and then we reversed out to let the Dublin Sligo onto the platform. It's not timetabled to stop at enfield. Delaying us again and I'm sure we will now get delayed all the way into Dublin
lambo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 14:43   #5
peterh
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Sligo InterCity= 22k. Please people, complain to Irish Rail if you find yourself on a Sligo bound train that is a 29000 commuter. I know most trains are 22ks but most is not good enough. They should all be InterCity standard.
100% agreed. Earth to Irish Rail. The 29K commuter trains actually have the word "commuter" on them. These trains should only be used for Dublin-Maynooth services
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote