Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-08-2010, 14:18   #1
Jac
New to the board

Default lots of questions from a rail novice

Its years since I've used trains on the Sligo-Dublin line so please forgive all the questions.

I'm disabled and although not in a chair I'm not the most mobile so I was thinking of reserving a seat from Longford, it'd either be 10.17am or 12.16pm I'd be using.

I have a travel pass but I'm not sure how this would work with reserving a seat?

And when I reserve a seat do I just get a seat number and would there be much walking involved?

Also what would the space on the particular trains on these schedules be like? I remember leg room used to leave a bit to be desired.

I assume its all layed out like they used to be, as in two seats facing two more or is there any single seats at all?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure what I'd be facing in to.

Thanks for any help.
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-08-2010, 14:47   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You cannot book a seat from Longford currently

Avoid the 12:16 its likely to be a nasty commuter train

Certain seats are marked as priority seats for the infirm/disabled/elderly these are at the outer ends of each coach

Seats are generally arranged around tables, leg room is better than before. The arm rests lift up. There are some seats which are facing the rear of other seats like an airplane.

Every seat has a view, no pillars blocking the view.

Coach C or Coach F has the wheelchair space and accessible toilet
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-08-2010, 15:43   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

You should call the station the day before you travel on 043 45208 to advise them what service you'll be travelling on, so that they can make any necessary preparations.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-08-2010, 18:32   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Your situation is slightly novel with the combination of a non-reservable station and a travel pass. However, it is by no means unique and your situation should be catered for. I'll make some further enquiries.

It is possible to turn up speculatively without a reservation. However, if you really want to reserve, you can for €3*. You would still need to get a travel pass ticket from the ticket office as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
I'm disabled and although not in a chair I'm not the most mobile so I was thinking of reserving a seat from Longford, it'd either be 10.17am or 12.16pm I'd be using.
Potentially, you could book from "before" Longford, but someone would need to collect that reservation from a suitable station - you can no longer have tickets posted out to you. However, I'm not certain if it needs to be collected as its only the reservation, not the actual ticket.

Quote:
And when I reserve a seat do I just get a seat number and would there be much walking involved?
You can select whichever available seat you want at booking time.

Quote:
Also what would the space on the particular trains on these schedules be like? I remember leg room used to leave a bit to be desired.

I assume its all layed out like they used to be, as in two seats facing two more or is there any single seats at all?
Its mostly a foursome around a table or two seats together airplane style. However, at the wheelchair space there are 3 seats and a wheelchair space around a smaller table, so this is often the location with the most legroom, although that depends on whether there is someone there with a wheelchair, pram, etc.

* A transaction charge of €2 applies. A further credit card charge of €1 applies (Laser is free, i.e. only the transaction charge of €2). Certain changes are happening to the reservation system over the next few days / weeks.
Unread 18-08-2010, 20:34   #5
Jac
New to the board

Thanks guys you've been most helpful,

My main concern is that I'd have trouble getting a seat this is why I was going to reserve one, but if I was fairly certain of a seat I wouldn't mind so much.

One more question, which of the evening trains is the best/most comfortable?

Thanks again for all your useful information.
Unread 18-08-2010, 20:39   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

16:00, 17:05 or 19:05 from Connolly all others are commuter services and likely to be extremely busy at least as far as Maynooth

If you arrive 15 minutes before time you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat
Unread 18-08-2010, 20:48   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Jac, roughly when do you expect to travel? In the next few days?

I have someone looking into it, but it'll be the morning before they can respond.
Unread 18-08-2010, 21:02   #8
Jac
New to the board

Thanks Mark,

It won't be for a week or two Colm and there's still a possibility I could go by car, but with my disabilities I have to plan ahead and know roughly what I'll be facing.
Unread 29-09-2010, 09:47   #9
Jac
New to the board

I'm back again with more questions I'm afraid

I didn't end up travelling by train on the occasion talked about above but will be travelling from Longford in the next week or so and as I don't have a set time to be in Dublin I was wondering is there a list of which trains are running on which services? if there is could someone point me towards it as I'd like to avoid the shoddy ones and try to get the more comfortable ones both up and down.

Also with the travel pass is there only specific types of tickets available or could I get a five day return? as it could be a day or two after before I come back down.

I always assumed that on the Sligo-Dublin line that all the seats are the same standard but someone said to me recently that I should get a super standard seat as I'd have more room and comfort, is there super standard seat on this line?

Thanks for all the help and again please excuse all the questions.
Unread 29-09-2010, 10:11   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

On a travel pass you can only get a single or day return ticket. Cash fares are either single, day return or monthly return

With the exception of the 9:05 Dublin Sligo and 13:00 Sligo Dublin all weekday trains are modern new intercity trains.

On rare occasions a train with first class may appear on the Sligo line, that said its first come first served to get a first class seat as there is no extra charge for them in this case. There is no difference in leg room or seat regardless.
Unread 29-09-2010, 11:14   #11
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

With your travel pass only cross-border tickets can be issued valid beyond the day of issue; you will need to get your ticket back at the station on the day of your departure.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-09-2010, 18:12   #12
Jac
New to the board

Thanks guys, helpful as always.