Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-09-2006, 12:36   #1
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

"I believe that the reopening of the railway at Charlestown should be prioritised in view of the rapid growth and development in the adjacent Knock airport."

(The Preist from the Quite Man Should be Here)

Last edited by Nigel Fitzgricer : 18-09-2006 at 19:12.
Nigel Fitzgricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2006, 19:18   #2
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Is this one better? It's the best I could find.

That's me on the left (Freight Strategist) with the glasses, our fearless leader and mentor HP Stains in the middle, and that's our engineering and costings expert Tarquin McCamera on the right.

Last edited by Nigel Fitzgricer : 18-09-2006 at 19:42.
Unread 19-09-2006, 09:24   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Just to clarify the above, Nigel, you can also of course fire away at him in relation to the credibility or otherwise of his claims in relation to the WRC as long as its valid critical comment. Sarcasam isnt unwelcome, btw.

On a happy note viewers may find it interesting that donals entire post was cut and copied by one of the editors at IRN and posted onto their thread on the WRC - including his caustic comments. Sure twas only when I pointed it out on IRN that they removed it and took out all of his comments.

Still,its nice to see that we're all one big happy family.

Hi guys, thanks for watching. Feel free to post, we dont bite.
Unread 19-09-2006, 12:55   #4
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

They copied and pasted Donal's post verbatim and left his comments in. Are you serious?

This along with the outrageous accusations that they were the group who were literally demanding a blood test for new members ro root out anti-WRC subversives, while deleting every post critical of the WRC at the same they were posting on boards.ie without signing the conflict of interest thread. I competely and totally refuse to believe such a thing! For shame! The IRN managers are paragons of virture and would never do such a thing. Spirit of the Blitz and all that old bean.

Nah, them sterling yomen of IRN would never do such a thing! This is just not cricket! Did the archers at Agincourt lay down their longbows, did Wellington's squares at Waterloo break formatiom under the charges of French lancers, did Biggles turn and fly back to base upon the sighting of his first Messerschmidt! Nay I say, NEVER!
Unread 19-09-2006, 13:24   #5
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

I just had a look. Incredible! At least they admitted it which is pretty incredible in itself for them guys.

Ever notice also it's only the management of the board who is obsessed with the WRC. The average rank and file IRN member there never posts about it, and when they do it's usually critical.

Still to give them credit, there are more IRN managers supporting the WRC than were "outraged citizens of the West" on the platform in Tubbercurry listening to O'Cuiv's speech this morning.

Anyways I am off to do a bit of research. HP Stains has developed a railfreight network for the old Donegal lines to carry containers of Holy Water from Cardonagh to Knock.
Unread 19-09-2006, 13:33   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you have a personal issue with the management of another message board please take it up with them. The issue exposed earlier was corrected promptly and admited in public that they made a mistake

Making references to members/persons of any organisation etc in a derogatory fashion without good cause will not be tolerated

Be warned we have no fear of banning posters who cross the line since
1) This message board is the shop front for Platform 11 which has become known for its high quailty informed discussion
2) People sue and we are required to take all reasonable steps to avoid such an incident occuring before it happens

Consider this a warning
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2006, 15:48   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

MOVED TO CANTEEN FOR SATIRICAL PURPOSES
Unread 19-09-2006, 17:53   #8
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Hey Gleeson, if this was about the RPA you would be on it ASPA and joining in with the chuckles. So don't be so self-rightous.

I can't take it up with them on IRN because they ban people who tell the truth about their trainspotter desires for wasting Irish taxpayers money on their rural railway hobby.
Unread 19-09-2006, 18:11   #9
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Myself and the rest of the Social Justice Railfreight Revival in Southern Eire Commitee are about to embark on a fund raising event. It is a calendar of us naked and standing around the 121 locomotives. The picture of me will be myself in Ballina striped naked and lying seductively backwards across the buffer beam of the loco with the steam pipe between my legs. A small cloud of steam will hide my private parts and it'll be done in Black and White. All very tasteful and erotic. Should raise a lot of money.

Last edited by Nigel Fitzgricer : 19-09-2006 at 18:13.
Unread 19-09-2006, 18:40   #10
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
If you have a personal issue with the management of another message board please take it up with them. The issue exposed earlier was corrected promptly and admited in public that they made a mistake

Making references to members/persons of any organisation etc in a derogatory fashion without good cause will not be tolerated

Be warned we have no fear of banning posters who cross the line since
1) This message board is the shop front for Platform 11 which has become known for its high quailty informed discussion
2) People sue and we are required to take all reasonable steps to avoid such an incident occuring before it happens

Consider this a warning

Both Thomas Stamp and I reviewed the many posts today. We decided to move them here to keep the Media section on topic. Nigel Fitzgricers comments regarding IRN are satirical opinion. However we do know where to draw the line should a situation arise that deems it necessary. Furthermore, our board is easily accessible to IRN Managers/Members, should they wish to take issue with posts made by Nigel Fitzgricer.

The above quoted warning is lifted.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2006, 18:59   #11
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Well thanks for removing the warning Derek, but I was so upset when I read it I spilled a flask of Bovril on my anorak. I am sending P11 the dry cleaning bill!
Unread 19-09-2006, 19:09   #12
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fitzgricer
Well thanks for removing the warning Derek, but I was so upset when I read it I spilled a flask of Bovril on my anorak. I am sending P11 the dry cleaning bill!
Don't fret. We'll send you a roll of film and a P11 pen.
Unread 19-09-2006, 19:16   #13
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

I have a digital camera and I record my observations into a tape recorder in a slow, monotonal voice with dried on flecks of saliva on the sides of my mouth.

PS: I noticed your sig is about strapping yourself to the tracks. Myself and HP Stains do that all the time.
Unread 19-09-2006, 21:01   #14
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
I have a digital camera and I record my observations into a tape recorder in a slow, monotonal voice with dried on flecks of saliva on the sides of my mouth.

PS: I noticed your sig is about strapping yourself to the tracks. Myself and HP Stains do that all the time.
The tracks in stains bedroom and his teeth, are not what I meant. May I suggest babywipes for the dried on flecks of saliva.
Unread 20-09-2006, 18:43   #15
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Just to clarify the target of this satire was trainspotters pretending they care about regional development in the west of Ireland when it so obviously a cover for taxpayers funding their hobby, not English people as an ethnic group. It was more of a send up of Enid Blython sterotypes in a manner ones sees from Monty Phyton to Viz. The photos I got of sterotypical trainspotters for this thread are all from UK sources BTW.

If it is any consolation I hate Celtic FC supporting and armchair Chuckies more than anyone else. I would like to clear up any notions that I was on some kind of anti-British kick. I wouldn't vote for Sinn Fien if they were the last poltical party n the country, I am delighted that Daily Ireland folded, I understand certain Unionist concerns. Looking at the shower in Dail Eireann I have often been upset at the British for leaning in 1920 at times as we had an integrated public transport system when we were under British rule - it was out lot who wrecked it. So I can assure the British nation, they have nothing to fear from me.

It's trainspotters looking to fund their hobby with taxpayers money - the fact that trainspotters in a foreign country demand the same overhere is absurb and obnoxious to me as a taxpayer and I make no apology for this as we finally are getting a decent public transport system in this country and the limited funds needed to be spent on commuters, not picturesque lines as phot backdrops.

I also have nothing against trainspotters as long as they spot trains. I think it's a great hobby, but just keep it a hobby. As long as they spot trains and don't tell lies about global warming or writing letters to the Irish provincial media in the wake of terrible road accidents in Ireland in order to look for money for their hobby. The latter, I find sickening beyond comprehension.
Unread 20-09-2006, 18:59   #16
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
I can assure the British nation, they have nothing to fear from me.
Unless you move there..
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2006, 19:05   #17
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Careful now, we don't want this place turning into the Six Counties

Last edited by Nigel Fitzgricer : 20-09-2006 at 19:10.
Unread 20-09-2006, 19:14   #18
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
obviously a cover for taxpayers funding their hobby
You should read the 'Faerie Queen'.. Ok it's 400 years old but it's based on English perceptions of Ireland. The author was nearly topped by Fiach Mac Aodh in Glenmalure.

Point is it was at a time where Ireland's future was seen as a playground for the English. I'm not sure trainspotters, even those from England quite have that in mind, but your opinions do have a historical resonance even if you are angry that oul' Britannia abandoned us...
Unread 20-09-2006, 19:44   #19
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Most of my ancestors were all looting Clearys during the 1916 rising.

Speaking of the 'Faerie Queen' (now there was a blast from the past) - you should visit the National Gallery in Merron Square and look at the paintings of the ruling Anglo-Irish in the 19th centuries - the "playground from the gentry" mindset you mentioned is there loud and clear. If you compare it to Flemish or Dutch paintings of the samre era the scenes are of upper middle class life it's all industry and commerce. It's about work and making money, rather than aristocratic idliness.

It easy to see why the country was held back for so long. You should read Francis Walker's journals on his visits to Ireland in period before the famine. He was English and horrified by the condition the native Irish lived under the landed gentry and he expresses great dislike for the ruling classes who played in Ireland, lived in large country houses and did nothing to improve their lands. Aren't some stations on the rail network like Woodland and I think Fota, built for the rulling landed gentry?

The 'Faerie Queen' I think is even relevant when you look at the Stag Parties in Temple Bar. Not that there is anything wrong with English people partying there, but the whole concept of Ireland not being a real country and being more of a playground is very much alive.

I do think that the Irish culture rooted in rural values and anti-urban phobias is the main reason we are so far behind in public transport in this country. In the decades prior to Independence the UK government did a lot for Ireland in terms of infrastructure, but it was the Irish mainly under Dev who wrecked it.

Last edited by Nigel Fitzgricer : 20-09-2006 at 21:51.
Unread 20-09-2006, 20:20   #20
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
the whole concept of Ireland not being a real country and being more of a playground is very much alive.
Reminds me when I was stopped by an English guy on Grafton Street, asking me could I give directions to McDaid's.

I obliged, and he apologised saying he was from "the mainland". I asked him if he was French.