29-03-2007, 15:28 | #1 |
|
Sixmilebridge Station
Following on from the Transport 21 meeting. There appears to be a delay in opening the new station at Sixmilebridge.
Clare County Council seem to be holding up the works in some way, and if i'm right i think it was Clare Co Co who were paying/building the station in the first place. Anyone know what the issue is with Clare Co Co? |
29-03-2007, 15:35 | #2 |
Technical Officer
|
|
29-03-2007, 15:38 | #3 |
|
Ok so that could be a general answer to the issue, but we're they not always paying the bill?
|
30-03-2007, 13:49 | #4 |
|
The latest I've seen in the local media is that the station will be open by the end of 2008. This was printed within the last few weeks along with the usual councillors trying to get a few more stations open along the line, even though they would probably be unviable, like Ballycar and Cratloe.
|
02-04-2007, 19:03 | #5 |
Really Really Regluar Poster
|
the only way more stations should be built on the Ennis is if there is an increase in line speed - I suspect the car/rail equation is getting pretty marginal given the road improvements.
|
03-04-2007, 07:42 | #6 |
|
They are always working on the line, closing farmers gates, installing new railway gets with electric signals etc. They were at something last night near me, some type of track machines going up and down the line after the last train passes, they are at at it every night at the moment.
|
11-04-2007, 10:21 | #7 |
|
I got the train from Ennis to Limerick last Saturday for the first time. Actual time was about 32 minutes even though its timetabled for 40. There was a delay of a few minutes as we crawled through the Limerick yard from the Childers road in. Sixmilebridge is roughly halfway and if you can go from Sixmilebridge to Limerick in 15 minutes then you are on a winner, because with a car it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the Coonagh roundabout and it can be another 15-20 minutes into town.
This was my first time travelling this line and overall I was impressed, but they need to sort access to Limerick station so that the journey can be brought down. When I was going home the Ennis train arriving appeared to be delayed by the shunting of an IC train in the station, hopefully the IC railcars will end this problem. There was a lot of new stock parked around the station, along with many container wagons and other bits and pieces. Surely the can run a third track straight in from Ennis directly so that they can speed things up a bit? |
26-06-2007, 14:36 | #8 | |
|
Quote:
|
|
01-07-2007, 21:59 | #9 |
Really Really Regluar Poster
|
ccos - I imagine it would but is there enough passing loops to do this?
|
02-07-2007, 10:03 | #10 |
|
Build them, its not rocket science the Victorians could do it, hell I was on a train in Albania and they have them.
|
14-01-2008, 18:46 | #11 |
Regular Poster
|
I emailed Iarnrod Eireann about when Sixmilebridge railway station would be re-opening and they replied back stating that it was still in an "early design stage". Sixmilebridge railway station was supposed to re-open this year. That does'nt look likely. This station's re-opening was announced in November 2005. Clare County Council are responsible for the planned station and car park facilities. Any news regarding the re-opening of this station? looks like clare co. council have done nothing to move this project forward....
|
14-01-2008, 21:26 | #12 |
IT Officer
|
Given that Clare County Council is close to being abolished for failure to agree a budget, I think they have bigger worries.
|
28-01-2008, 20:28 | #13 |
Regular Poster
|
I emailed the Clare County Co. planning department about Sixmilebridge Railway Station and eventually they got back to me last friday stating that they are planning "reopening of the station during the 2008/ 2009 financial years.Further details will be relased to the public when the project requirements,construction programme and costings are finalised"
I imagine so that at some point late in 2009 or later that Sixmilebridge Railway Station will re-open. |
10-02-2008, 00:36 | #14 |
New to the board
|
What state is the station in now or is there even one?
Will it be opened on the same site as the original station? |
12-02-2008, 00:40 | #15 | |
Regular Poster
|
Quote:
The old railway station may be re-opened but they need to buy adjoining land for parking spaces. It's all still in the design stage and unlikely to be opened any time soon as Clare County Council have other priorities. |
|
21-05-2008, 13:00 | #16 |
Regular Poster
|
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Sixmilebridge train station on track? It's hoped that the new Sixmilebridge Train Station will be on track to coincide with the re-opening of the Western Rail Corridor. As part of the Western Rail line, commuters in Clare will benefit from a new Railway stop in the village which is due to get underway after the former train Station is acquired by Iarnrod Eireann. Local Councillor John Crowe told Clare FM News that he’s hoping work on the station and platform will soon be underway. http://www.clarefm.ie/newsCNU/news.asp
27-05-2008, 13:07 | #17 | |
Regular Poster
|
http://www.limerickleader.ie/shannon...for.4113169.jp
Quote:
Check oot http://www.underthekitchensink.com/ Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-05-2008 at 13:13. |
|
27-05-2008, 13:08 | #18 |
Regular Poster
|
Good to hear they are finally moving ahead with the re-opening of the railway station in Sixmilebridge.
There already is an excellent local Shannon and express bus service to Limerick bus and train station and also a good bus service between Shannon and Ennis, they should encourage people using Shannon Airport/Shannon to use these bus services if they wish to connect with the train.
18-08-2008, 21:13 | #19 |
|
Any update on the station at Sixmilebridge going ahead or when it will be open?
|
23-09-2008, 12:39 | #20 | |
Regular Poster
|
Quote:
http://www.clarefm.ie/news.php?section=news http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Li...-on.4504840.jp Limerick to Galway line on track for next May Date: 18 September 2008 By David Hurley FOLLOWING the successful roll out of the Limerick to Nenagh commuter rail service last month it has been confirmed that direct train services between Limerick and Galway are expected to be up and running by May 2009. Up to 14 daily services will operate between the two cities when the new service commences following the completion of the €106.5 million redevelopment of the Ennis-Athenry rail line. "It is very good news and it will help us to form another leg of the Atlantic Corridor which will give train services from Cork, Limerick and Ennis through to Galway," said Jim Gallivan, business development manager, with Iarnrod Eireann in Limerick. The existing single track between Ennis and Athenry is currently being replaced as part of the project, which is being funded under Transport 21. Around 18 miles of track have already been replaced and the remainder will be upgraded by early next year at which point testing of the track will begin. Mr Gallivan said he hopes there will be seven daily services in each direction when the service begins in ten months' time. The trains will serve Limerick, Ennis, Athenry, and Galway, as well as new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, and Oranmore. It is over 30 years since there was a regular rail service between Limerick and Galway and the new service also promises to provide passengers with connections to Heuston Station in Dublin.
Display Modes | |
|
|