Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-03-2014, 10:41   #41
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
However, all of the rights and wrongs are irrelevant. If the NTA contract states zero tolerance, then Irish Rail have no choice but to fine anybody not in possession of a valid ticket.
I'd be really surprised if that was true. It's more likely to say that IR should put in place procedures to minimum fare evasion. I don't think anyone in the NTA is stupid enough to believe fare evasion will ever disappear completely. Here is the contract if anyone is bored on a Friday morning. I skimmed over it and can't find any reference to fare evasion but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

In any case, even if the NTA have come over all draconian on IR, it's still up to IR to inform the customer that multiple return tickets exist so they have the information required to pick the right one. It's not fare evasion unless its deliberate.

Last edited by markpb : 28-03-2014 at 10:47.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2014, 11:22   #42
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
I'd be really surprised if that was true. It's more likely to say that IR should put in place procedures to minimum fare evasion. I don't think anyone in the NTA is stupid enough to believe fare evasion will ever disappear completely. Here is the contract if anyone is bored on a Friday morning. I skimmed over it and can't find any reference to fare evasion but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

In any case, even if the NTA have come over all draconian on IR, it's still up to IR to inform the customer that multiple return tickets exist so they have the information required to pick the right one. It's not fare evasion unless its deliberate.
Exactly - I looked at the PSO contract too and can't see anything along those lines.

That's why I'm asking Mark Gleeson to tell us where in the contract that this is stated.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2014, 12:02   #43
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

I love this bit from the contract :
Staff:
'Irish Rail staff will be well presented, friendly, helpful and courteous at all times'.

Quite clearly this is not the case - especially the courteous bit

Last edited by grainne whale : 28-03-2014 at 12:43.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2014, 13:27   #44
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Exactly - I looked at the PSO contract too and can't see anything along those lines.

That's why I'm asking Mark Gleeson to tell us where in the contract that this is stated.
Its in the contract appendix

"Revenue Protection
Report on measures taken to ensure revenue
protection.

Quarterly Report

Percentage of Compliance
"

Exact details are not provided for commercial reasons
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2014, 13:55   #45
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its in the contract appendix

"Revenue Protection
Report on measures taken to ensure revenue
protection.

Quarterly Report

Percentage of Compliance
"

Exact details are not provided for commercial reasons
That does not prescribe how it is to be done, though.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Irish Rail from having a ticket checker on Intercity trains ensuring everyone has a correct ticket, rather than making the entire network a penalty fares area.
Unread 28-03-2014, 14:59   #46
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
That does not prescribe how it is to be done, though.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Irish Rail from having a ticket checker on Intercity trains ensuring everyone has a correct ticket, rather than making the entire network a penalty fares area.
NTA set the rules and Irish Rail's funding is dependent on this. Irish Rail has indicated to the NTA that it will operate a national penalty fare policy to meet its obligation in contract.

Irish Rail is obliged to report quarterly on revenue protection matters.

The issue is not the policy its how edge cases are handled. We can argue all day but in this specific case the passenger did not hold a valid ticket, that fact is not denied by anyone.

The issue was the act of purchase which falls outside the penalty fares procedure per Rail Safety Act 2005

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 28-03-2014 at 15:04.
Unread 28-03-2014, 15:32   #47
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
NTA set the rules and Irish Rail's funding is dependent on this. Irish Rail has indicated to the NTA that it will operate a national penalty fare policy to meet its obligation in contract.

Irish Rail is obliged to report quarterly on revenue protection matters.

The issue is not the policy its how edge cases are handled. We can argue all day but in this specific case the passenger did not hold a valid ticket, that fact is not denied by anyone.

The issue was the act of purchase which falls outside the penalty fares procedure per Rail Safety Act 2005
I understand all of that - and with regard to the specific incident, I've already said that the OP has unfortunately broken the rules, and there isn't an awful lot that can be done.

However, as a general comment, I think that implementing a national penalty fare area is the wrong way to protect revenue - I think it will cause more problems and issues than it solves, and lead to more of incidents such as this where there is an element of doubt.

Far better from both a revenue policy and from a customer service perspective to have a checker on board each Intercity train, as you end up with everyone having a valid ticket, and you have someone on board that passengers can speak to directly.

Are RUI saying that they prefer a national penalty fare policy to having a checker on each Intercity train?
Unread 28-03-2014, 17:20   #48
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Firstly everyone should have a ticket, if they do then there is no issue. Issue only arises if you have no ticket.

The question is do you want to issue a normal priced ticket to someone found without a ticket or do you penalise people who have no ticket where they should have had a ticket

First option is pointless as there is no risk in not buying a ticket.

Irish Rail's policy is consistent any service, anywhere nationwide which is great compared to the UK where its a nightmare to know what the rules are.
Unread 29-03-2014, 18:44   #49
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Ah it's pretty much the same either way to be honest. Got no ticket? Meet a ticket checker and you get sold a ticket. Meet a revenue inspector and you get a penalty fare (much lower than Ireland as currently £20 or double the fare from where you started to the next station, although it's going up to £50 or four times the fare shortly with a 50% discount for prompt payment), or reported for prosecution. Penalty fares are only charged on some trains but prosecution is possible in any case.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:56   #50
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
If the passenger has sight problems they would of had a pass.
Not every person with sight problems will have a pass, e.g. they might not be entitled to a pass on various grounds or be severely long-sighted and unable to read without glasses.
Unread 06-04-2014, 20:29   #51
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Not every person with sight problems will have a pass, e.g. they might not be entitled to a pass on various grounds or be severely long-sighted and unable to read without glasses.
ok fair point however your clutching at straws!

You should always double check what you get.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote