Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-03-2007, 19:59   #61
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Angry Rail Daytrip for the Boyz n the Hood

There were alot (20 to 30) little "gurriers" from the Sheriff St area riding the train from Docklands to Clonsilla today..... Some of them were even running up and down the tracks at Clonsilla this evening (obviously waiting for their return train)

Last edited by clonsilladart : 12-03-2007 at 22:20.
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 00:07   #62
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Thanks for the help, i got so confused about it that i checked google earth straight after posting and figured out that the drumcondra track is the one that goes to the tunnel, if you use the points there. So now i understand it, kind of a maze anyway, and most northerly track going under the northern line couldnt a similar service exist, or was the whole re-alignement of the specer dock area to alow that line to be used for the interconnector, cause it looks useless now.
Unread 13-03-2007, 09:07   #63
CSL

Anna Livia this morning was complaining terribly about extra level crossing time.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 14:44   #64
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
Anna Livia this morning was complaining terribly about extra level crossing time.
Yep, Tailback at Clonsilla LC has been much worse for the last two mornings, however it does fully clear when barriers are open for > 10 mins or so.
It's not as bad as i expected, but the new distributor road cannot come soon enough (Fingall Co Co has erected a Planning permission sign for Ongar to Barnhill link road - This should help)
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 20:22   #65
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Got my free coffee mug as well
Staff are still bribing the local kids with these.

Why are the platforms at a different level to the inside level on a train. The Indo had a picture Tuesday of a North Wall local in his wheelchair and the non-wheelchair accessible (intercity) train in the background.

The station doesn't fully comply with planning permission as there is no access along the canal, among a few other points.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 13-03-2007 at 20:57.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 20:42   #66
Dave
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Why are the platforms at a different level to the inside level on a train. The Indo had a picture Tuesday of a North Wall local in his wheelchair and the non-wheelchair accessible (intercity) train in the background.
That's being bothering me too. Why can't a brand new station have platforms that are level to the train doors ala Luas? Both the 29000s and new intercity railcars have a good step up - Why?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:43   #67
Gary
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
Aphf, you normally use the Northern line so you wouldn't be so familiar with the lines going into Connolly from the West.

Trains to the Docklands skip Drumcondra because to get to the Docklands they have to use the Midland Line, this is a short, previously unused twin track line running from Glasenvin Junction to Newcommon Curve just outside Connolly and onto the Docklands area. It runs roughly paralell to the Drumcondra route, which is used by present Maynooth, Longford, Sligo services and freight trains that have to go from the Connolly network to Heuston via the Park Tunnel.

At Glasnevin there is a sort of Z junction. Like this

[CODE]
Heuston P10/PPT Connolly all platforms and Dublin Port
<========//======>
//
<=======//=======>
Maynooth/Sligo Connolly Platform 7 and Docklands station
[/CODE]
So beyond some backing and reversing manovers at Glasnevin Jnt there's no way trains from Hueston can go direct to Docklands?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:43   #68
James Shields

Did anyone notice the sign over the side doors saying "exit to linear park". These lead to a large metal cage, and some arches under the road to some big signs saying "Spencer Dock". The only way from there is back up the fire escape to the road. Where is the linear park? Or even an obvious way that will lead to the linear park when it opens.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 23:17   #69
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
So beyond some backing and reversing manovers at Glasnevin Jnt there's no way trains from Hueston can go direct to Docklands?
Bullseye.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-03-2007, 01:06   #70
alek smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonsilladart View Post
There were alot (20 to 30) little "gurriers" from the Sheriff St area riding the train from Docklands to Clonsilla today..... Some of them were even running up and down the tracks at Clonsilla this evening (obviously waiting for their return train)
Make no mistake about it but THIS issue will make or break this station as a useful,useable commuting point.

Just as Bill Bratton,John Timoney and others with ACTUAL knowledge of Public Transport Policing have continually warned.....Beware the broken pane of glass syndrome........

If one allows one pane of glass to be broken and fails to rectify the problem,then the eventual outcome is the destruction of the entire ediface.

Watch this one run !!!!
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-03-2007, 13:45   #71
And
New to the board

So any word on whether this station is being used in reasonable numbers? Are the peak services getting decent loadings (allowing for the fact that this was only their first week in operation) and are they taking any noticeable strain off the existing Maynooth services at peak times?
And is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-03-2007, 13:37   #72
sjkhayes
New to the board

Looking at Google Earth, it would seem that a train on the Drumcondra line, can run to Docklands. Previous posters indicated this was not so. What is the reason for this.

And while I am asking dumb questions, If the Midland line is being used for Docklands services, is there any reason why a station could not be constructed under the Dart Line at the Royal Canal. This looks like it is just 250 Meters from the Dart platform at Connolly, which would give us reasonable "integration"

S
sjkhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-03-2007, 14:26   #73
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It doesn't fit, I've seen the architects drawings. Track isn't there, it was promised its not possible

Now depending on how you look at it you might fit a connection to platform 2 only but that would require a CPO on a industrial property

If the station was 50m further down Sherrif Street it would fit but then there would be no interconnector

You might fit two platforms down at Ossery Rd there but access to Connolly would not be possible, its about 650m on foot to the front door of Connolly

Even it if was it wouldn't be done since that would not satisfy the very reason for the Docklands station, the Hansfield SDV

The entire point is the station should have been built with its entrance onto the new bit of Mayor Street at which point it would be 300m nearer the south side, 300m nearer the IFSC and 50m from the Luas stop

CIE still own the land
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-03-2007, 14:56   #74
luasifer
Regular Poster

Ok so I took a wander down to Docklands Station the other day. The station itself is in my opinion very nice. Hopefully the local gurriers will not ruin it. I made a few observations while there.

1. Why do the trains only go to Clonsilla? Would it not be better for them to run to Maynooth? It just means you dont get the confusion that people think there are extra trains on the Maynooth line when actually they only go to Clonsilla. This confusion was evident when I was there. There was a person looking to go to Maynooth. The guy in the ticket office told him he had to walk to Connolly Station to go to Maynooth. Now there was a train going to Clonsilla in 15 mins. I think the better advice would've been to give him a ticket to Maynooth and tell him to change at Clonsilla.

2. You can only buy tickets from the TVM as far as Consilla. What if I want to go to Maynooth and change in Clonsilla on the way, or god forbid somebody actually might want to go to Longford or Sligo from Docklands.

This TVM issue does not surprise me considering I cannot get a ticket from Newbridge TVM to Howth, Lansdowne Road etc. Nor can I get a city centre transfer or a weekly ticket from the machine in Newbridge.
luasifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-03-2007, 15:12   #75
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luasifer View Post
1. Why do the trains only go to Clonsilla?
Hansfield SDV.

Quote:
There was a person looking to go to Maynooth. The guy in the ticket office told him he had to walk to Connolly Station to go to Maynooth. Now there was a train going to Clonsilla in 15 mins. I think the better advice would've been to give him a ticket to Maynooth and tell him to change at Clonsilla.
It depends on the time of day not all trains to Maynooth call in Clonsilla

Quote:
2. You can only buy tickets from the TVM as far as Consilla. What if I want to go to Maynooth and change in Clonsilla on the way, or god forbid somebody actually might want to go to Longford or Sligo from Docklands.
Well the TVM in Clonsilla knowns nothing about Docklands either

BTW the station code for Docklands is 084 in case you meet less than on the ball IE clerk
Unread 19-03-2007, 03:54   #76
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I bought an interesting ticket the other day. Broombridge doesn't have a ticket office. Docklands closes early.

I traveled Docklands - Broombridge - Connolly. At Docklands it was "Ah sure get on the train quick it’s leaving now" (PIS said 1 minute, reality was about 4 minutes). I wasn't too happy with this as I intended using my bus ticket to get home from Broombridge. Broombridge doesn't have a ticket office. Aided in the arrest of a stone thrower in Broombridge. I grinned at the irony of not having a ticket. Distracted, I got a train back to Connolly.

Arrived at Platform 4. Big sign "Do you have a ticket?" or somesuch with chap dealing with people who admit to not having tickets. Asked for a return from Docklands. Too much for him to comprehend. "Go through you'll have to get it on the other side". Waved through the new barriers - for all he knew, I could have just stabbed the "Do you have a ticket?" guy. Went to a ticket machine. Docklands not listed.

Went to a cashier.

Victor: "Can I get a return from Docklands".
Cashier: "But there’s no trains to Docklands".
Victor: "But I just got a train from there, via Broombridge".
Cashier: "Ah."
Cashier: "......"
Cashier: "What’s the fare to Docklands?"
Cashier 2: "I don't know".
Victor: "Use the station number".
Cashier: "What’s the station number for Docklands?"
Cashier 2: "I don't know". Makes phone call.
Cashier 2: "They're not answering".
Makes second phone call.
Mad button pushing on ticket machine.
Ticket produced.

But it doesn't say Connolly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket 2.JPG (24.1 KB, 872 views)

Last edited by Colm Moore : 19-03-2007 at 03:57.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-03-2007, 12:07   #77
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The correct ticket would be

Return 100 to 098

That would result in Dublin City Centre to Broombridge return which is correct as Docklands is considered a city centre station like Pearse/Tara/Connolly
Unread 19-03-2007, 16:03   #78
sjkhayes
New to the board

Hi Mark,

I was thinking a station at Ossory road, on the East side of the North Strand. If there is not enough room, the platform can be build out over the canal. (Or there I say it, the canal could be filled in) This is 250 Meters from the end of the Dart platform. A separate entrance could be provided on the North Strand.

Also, could you give me more details on the hansfield business.

S
sjkhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-03-2007, 16:53   #79
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A curious planning condition on Hansfield insists on a new station in the Dublin Docklands and the provision of rail services through the reopening of the Navan line

While we all know that capacity does not need a new station the forgotten plans for 2 extra platforms at Connolly would have been fine

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCo.../HansfieldSDZ/

Station fits alongside Ossery Rd but how you provide access to Connolly is not easy bare in mind it has to be accessible, its is 250-300m as the crow files but you have to negotiate a canal and a road crossing if you go on the level or underground or above ground you have to cross several tracks at Connolly. only option is to go underground with a travelator. But to the front door of Connolly its still 500m which is only marginally less than Docklands which serves a significant catchment
Unread 19-03-2007, 19:47   #80
sean

travelators?
sean is offline   Reply With Quote