Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 09-10-2008, 17:54   #21
philip

M50 is still cack in the eveings anyway. I go Newcastle (Co. Dublin) -> Greenhills for work each day. I just miss the morning rush but I hit the 5pm traffic square on. I go Ballymount->M50(N)->N7(W)->Newlands Cross->R136->home. The M50 northbound to the Red Cow is usually a long queue to get off there and idiots cutting in holding up lane 2 make it worse. Can't wait for them to open the M50(N)->N7(W) freeflow slip but it's months off yet.
Unread 09-10-2008, 18:55   #22
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
One common denominator is defo car parking charges tho.
I'm not sure about that. From Newbridge, my tax saver ticket costs 4 euro a day. Petrol for a return trip to Dublin is at least 10 euro. The quickest you can get to Heuston Station from Newbridge assuming no traffic and obeying speed limits is about 45 minutes (and that's before you hit the quays). In traffic that can be up to 90 minutes. Train takes as little as 30 minutes and as many as 45.

When you think about it, the parking charges would add 33% onto my fare if I used it (I walk ~20 minutes most days), but I don't. It's still cheaper and quicker than the car.
Unread 09-10-2008, 18:56   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats assuming the train is there when you need it, after all the service is at best hourly for most of the day

Most people don't think in such logical terms, they see price go up, service is crap
Unread 09-10-2008, 19:12   #24
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
A couple traveling together to work situation the car wins on cost, fairly common. Most people don't do the numbers if they are fed up and see a price increase coming well they are going to walk away. Bear in mind there is a price on your own time and sanity

Sad fact is passengers are going elsewhere and its nearly entirely Irish Rails fault. They have failed to provide a decent reliable service, they are looking at 15-20% increase in annual ticket rates this year yet there is talk of fewer trains. Kildare line is the pits without question worst service in Dublin, I've got the graphs. Bus Eireann and others are doing well as a result. I know of several people swapping train for bus when their tickets expire.

Not everyone gets the tax benefit. Not everyone travels every day, Irish Rail don't provide a service of much use at certain times so you have to resort to the car or bus. If you are already in the car, you might as well keep going.

Plenty of reports from various stations of a drop off in demand
Petrol has gone up by ~25% in the past year, diesel by even more. There is a price on your time too, and the train still beats the car from most places in the commuter belt.

It would be more interesting if the drop off in demand at the stations was offset by an increase in road use. There isn't any hard facts to support this though and any evidence is anecdotal at best. No wonder you only ended up in the Daily Star.
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:28   #25
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
No wonder you only ended up in the Daily Star.
What's wrong with the daily star?
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:37   #26
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
IM DISPUTING THE REASONS DUE TO A LACK OF OFFICIAL DATA.
Was the official breakdown of passengers per train ever given out?
What is official data in the context of this argument?

If we could only speculate as to why the trains were packed over the boom years, why can't the same apply as numbers thin out?

For the record, I don't think Car parking alone is the reason though from talking to other Commuters about this it is a combinatorial reason for moving away from IE.

All of the factors mentioned in this thread, the recession, the absence of foreign workers, road improvements and the general Irish Rail incompetence are all causes though I doubt the official figures will cite the last factor
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:53   #27
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
All of the factors mentioned in this thread, the recession, the absence of foreign workers, road improvements and the general Irish Rail incompetence are all causes though I doubt the official figures will cite the last factor
Why were none of these other factors mentioned in the articles then? Is it because the car parking charges story will sell more paper because it makes it out to be IR's fault?
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:55   #28
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
What's wrong with the daily star?
We used to get it free in the old job I worked in. Read it every day for nearly two years, to call it a newspaper would be stretching the realms of truth, slightly. The amount of factual errors in it was staggering.
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:57   #29
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
Why were none of these other factors mentioned in the articles then?
I have no idea being honest.
Perhaps get in touch with the respective journos?
Unread 10-10-2008, 20:20   #30
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
What is official data in the context of this argument?
Thats easy Mark. Professional research carred out to ascertain why a percentage of people have stopped using services on certain lines.

Not wild assumptions like the following.

Quote:
Most people don't think in such logical terms, they see price go up, service is crap
Quote:
Sad fact is passengers are going elsewhere and its nearly entirely Irish Rails fault.
Will I go on?

Quote:
I have no idea being honest.
Perhaps get in touch with the respective journos?
MarkG did the interview. Did he mention all the other factors that you now accept as possible causes.

Personally, getting into the tabloids is good. Its important to get the RUI name out to all kinds of reader, but not when you have to resort to assumptions and speculation parading as fact.
Unread 11-10-2008, 15:10   #31
ccos

Unhappy

Well is there any facts to prove Mark wrong?

Someone who says someones facts don't add up should at least have some facts to counter the argument, some data perhaps, maybe somebodys got some numbers to prove Mark wrong but until they appear well pots and kettles spring to mind.
Quote:
I drive up the N7 everyday and I can tell you that Ive noticed less volumes since the school term kicked back in, in September
Numbers please

remember all theorys are equally valid until they are disproven and anything we accept as a fact now is capable of been overturned with fresh evidence.

Now wheres me daily star thats got numbers in it

Last edited by ccos : 11-10-2008 at 15:15.
Unread 12-10-2008, 15:13   #32
ccos

Quote:
My reality is broader than the one you obviously inhabit.
I don't think we have ever met so what do you base your assumptions on??
Unread 12-10-2008, 19:26   #33
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
ah now Derek, play nice.

that's me being nice, as you know xxx
This is nice. Do you want nasty????

I suppose you're gonna lock the thread now.
Closed Thread