Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-11-2017, 10:52   #1
platypusparcel
New to the board

Default SPur on St. Stephens Green

I noticed a single track spur on the green line today, it runs along the north of the green after dawson street, what's that for?
platypusparcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2017, 12:43   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypusparcel View Post
I noticed a single track spur on the green line today, it runs along the north of the green after dawson street, what's that for?
It can hold a single tram if required during disruption/events etc.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-11-2017, 01:24   #3
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

It'll mean trams can turn around at St Stephen's Green (if coming from Brides Glen / Sandyford) as now without blocking other trams going to or coming from the northside.

I'd say it will be quite likely that not all trams will go through the city from the southside and there will be a more frequent service on the southside where the service is well established.

There's also a junction at the end of O'Connell Street that enables trams to loop around the city without going to the northern terminus. Along with the connections with the red line, there are quite a lot of permutations now as to different journey possibilities, so it will be interesting to see what is offered.

Last edited by Eddie : 25-11-2017 at 01:35.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-11-2017, 01:56   #4
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
It'll mean trams can turn around at St Stephen's Green (if coming from Brides Glen / Sandyford) as now without blocking other trams going to or coming from the northside.

I'd say it will be quite likely that not all trams will go through the city from the southside and there will be a more frequent service on the southside where the service is well established.

There's also a junction at the end of O'Connell Street that enables trams to loop around the city without going to the northern terminus. Along with the connections with the red line, there are quite a lot of permutations now as to different journey possibilities, so it will be interesting to see what is offered.
Brides Glen to Parnell Street
Sandyford to Broombridge

It will more less be every second tram doing the different routing just like the Tallaght/Saggart running. You may see the odd Brides Glen to Broombridge at peak times similar to Point-Saggart.

The current SSG green points can be used for turning back, the spur will have almost no use like the Green/Red line connections.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 25-11-2017 at 02:01.
Unread 25-11-2017, 21:34   #5
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

I imagine the spur will be used to store trams between busier periods.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2017, 14:07   #6
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

There may be untimetabled extra peak services (as there are now) between Sandyford and St Stephen’s Green that may use the siding to stable before returning south.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2017, 15:34   #7
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
I imagine the spur will be used to store trams between busier periods.
Transdev are not fans of leaving trams stationary in the city center, all peak trams currently route back to depot.

Quote:
There may be untimetabled extra peak services (as there are now) between Sandyford and St Stephen’s Green that may use the siding to stable before returning south.
Possibly and I'm sure SSG-Parneel will have a lot more regular closures when it will be used.