Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 18-10-2008, 10:11   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Thank you

I'm heading to Cork today.

It was good to see the doors on the 1100 ex-Dublin close bang on 1100 and hte train depart by 1100:20.

Unfortuneately I'll be on the 1200.
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:44   #2
ccos

I bet the 12.00 was late
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:46   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Twas on time I'm told
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:59   #4
ccos

its the law Larrys laws of motion no.2 If u miss abus because its on time the next one will be late.

no.1 says u must be a least as smart as the ting u r driving and no.5 its easier to stop at the red light then pull yourself out of the truck
Unread 21-10-2008, 10:12   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If I had to put money on a ontime departure it would be Dublin Cork, its the only route you see any kind of sustained effort to get trains away on time.

Of course it just means you will get delayed somewhere else, 12:30 out of Cork yesterday left bang on time, only to get stuck in Mallow for over 15 minutes
Unread 21-10-2008, 11:09   #6
chipper
Regular Poster

The most reliable departure on the network has to be the 06:46 Drogheda - Pearse. You could set your watch by that one. Unfortunately the train then spends more than 20 minutes stopped in stations, runs behind a dart from Howth Junction and crawls into Connolly to finish in Pearse anything up to about 7 minutes late. It is never more than 10 minutes late so I suppose you can guarantee to always be "on time".
Unread 21-10-2008, 12:00   #7
Colm R
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Of course it just means you will get delayed somewhere else, 12:30 out of Cork yesterday left bang on time, only to get stuck in Mallow for over 15 minutes
Bet it arrived on time though!! Something called padding
Unread 21-10-2008, 12:53   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
If I had to put money on a ontime departure it would be Dublin Cork, its the only route you see any kind of sustained effort to get trains away on time.
I'LL second that, The Cork train has the best looking train its a real InterCity service unlike those 22000 so called intercity trains ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
The most reliable departure on the network has to be the 06:46 Drogheda - Pearse. You could set your watch by that one. Unfortunately the train then spends more than 20 minutes stopped in stations, runs behind a dart from Howth Junction and crawls into Connolly to finish in Pearse anything up to about 7 minutes late. It is never more than 10 minutes late so I suppose you can guarantee to always be "on time".
The 06:00 is the same just after bray-dun laoghaire it crawls into Connolly..
Unread 24-10-2008, 11:54   #9
Jferb

The Cork train may be the best looking but the lack of a power-point at every seat is an abysmal oversight.

The general rule-of-thumb with IE seems to be that if I'm not in a hurry, the train arrives early, but if I am then it's always bloody late!!
Unread 28-10-2008, 17:34   #10
ccos

Quote:
The general rule-of-thumb with IE seems to be that if I'm not in a hurry, the train arrives early, but if I am then it's always bloody late!!
Larrys law of motion #7 states that the only ontime train is the one you're late for.

This is derived from Chris P Batters observations that railway punctuality is inversly proportional to the passengers necessity.
Unread 28-10-2008, 19:04   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferb View Post
Services run for those that wait, they don't wait for those that run.
Unread 28-10-2008, 23:03   #12
ccos

Quote:
Services run for those that wait, they don't wait for those that run.
Now you are dealing with the train space continueim, train travel is relative to the observer.
compare two tourists " mon deiu! ze cows, such peectures! mcch" or "jsus, will ya look at d state of dem tings wares d station"
Closed Thread