Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 19-05-2008, 14:11   #1
Colm R
Regular Poster

Default Lack of co-ordination at Kent Station Cork.

Yesterday I was in the station at Cork for about 16:55, as I was getting the train back to Dublin at 17:30. Waiting outside I noticed the Number 5, which runs from the station to CIT, via St. Patrick St., UCC and the Model Farm Road. If you don't know Cork, this service is fairly important.

Now the bus was sitting there waiting and litteraly 2 minutes before the train from Cobh arrived, it left. I was astoninished. The driver could clearly see the train coming in, but still left.

Now, perhaps the driver had to stick to the timetable. But the train was not late, so its the timetable that needs fixing. However a little bit of initiative on the part of the driver would go along way.
Unread 19-05-2008, 14:34   #2
Sasha
Regular Poster

Usually Bus Nr.5 always waiting for Dublin trains as I see that nearly every day. Probably in case with Cobh train driver left as he has his timetable and cannot stay more.
Unread 20-05-2008, 21:02   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

given the messing around on the Cobh line lately, with frequent bustitutioning for maintenance and equipment reasons, I find it hard to blame BE Cork for sticking to the timetable. The No.5 is as you say a backbone route and it's likely that by waiting you inconvenience more passengers over the length of the route than you pick up from the Cobh service. Better to lobby for an increase in frequency.
Unread 22-09-2008, 10:24   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

There's scope for an improved bus service into Glanmire/Riverstown which could call at Kent Station. Likewise, the midleton busses etc ought to stop there to pick up / drop off. Even if they don't drive into the station, they could call at the back of it. There should be pedestrian access into the station from the quayside.
Unread 24-09-2008, 10:31   #5
ccos

Quote:
There should be pedestrian access into the station from the quayside
This is really something thats long overdue and wouldnt take a whole lot of effort, its all IEs land and theres only one track (the station Bypass, which was only installed in the mid ´80s) to cross. It would save all passengers walking to the centre around 10 minutes and mean that the bus station was withinn easy reach for people pulling luggage
Unread 24-09-2008, 11:14   #6
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Whatever is put there wouldn't be permanent, so I guess it depends whether it has to be disabled-accessible or not. A temporary footbridge isn't going to cost too much, but once you start putting in lifts, that would change. Would the fact that there is disabled access between the two points but by a much longer route be OK?
Unread 25-09-2008, 10:32   #7
ccos

There is currently disabled access to the station and I don't think all entrances must have disabled access so there shouldn't be any problem.
Closed Thread