Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Mayo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-02-2007, 14:58   #1
StephenM
Regular Poster

Default Train that operates the 08:20

I noticed last Friday morning that there was no dedicated train for Westport as such for the 08:20, having seen another train pull in before 8 (More than likely the Carlow service that arrives at 07:52) for the last year, that train was the one that served Westport where as previously there has always been a dedicated train waiting for Westport. Has Iarnród Éireann managed to reduce the number of trains required to operate these 2 service somehow? I thought this was a bit strange considering it would mean a late night service to get that set down the country to operate this early morning service into Heuston (201 + 5/6 + Dining Car). It could also be a once off!

Anyone have a possible reason for this? I cant see too many services after 10:00pm for Intercity setups like this. The stock that comes in at 07:52 leaves Dublin at 20:05.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 18:38   #2
Oisin88

There seem to be a few changes.
The 15:05 from Galway-Dublin becomes the 18:30 Dublin-Waterford.

The 08:20 to westport was actually the "Cú na Mara" rolling stock that normally covers Galway.

Oh, please stop me. Why do I notice stuff like this
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 10:58   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 6:30 is not meant to run the 8:20 to Westport

As far as I am aware the Carlow train is sent down empty early morning

Train that leaves at 20:05 is a 29000 which returns to Dublin in service. The set that ran the 6:30 actually ends up in Limerick well things are confused

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 09-02-2007 at 11:13.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:57   #4
StephenM
Regular Poster

So should I ask the question does Iarnród Éireann actually have people who know how to schedule trains or is it something similar to throwing darts at a list of daily services and putting trains on as randomly as that?
Unread 09-02-2007, 12:06   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There be a huge book called the working timetable which lists off everything. Of course IE won't give a copy to us since we would have a field day exposing the poor utilisation. I did get a copy of the DART one during the DASH project and at the bottom of each column it says where the train goes next its all in jargon and codes so it makes no sense unless you know the codes

Just like the public timetables it has errors

At the moment for instance I think both citygold sets are out of service, 1 in Dublin, 1 in Cork you might think they would be used when a Mk4 breaks down but on two recent occasions they didn't get called into action

Have a look at the yard in Heuston at 6pm tonight its full of trains
Unread 09-02-2007, 16:30   #6
CSL

I've been working in a building looking down on that yard for the last fortnight.

Unfortunately not any more cause I was thinking of putting up a webcam.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 16:38   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Say hello to the two early trains from Carlow and Waterford, for you will be staring at them most of the day doing nothing.

Of course, IE have capacity problems, don't yew know.
Unread 09-02-2007, 21:24   #8
StephenM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There be a huge book called the working timetable which lists off everything.
I have a copy of one from the 1970's which makes for interesting reading (My Grandfather was senior management in his day), 1 train a day running Ballina - Claremorris and back, another doing the Limerick run, makes me think we have actually moved on a bit!

Was in Heuston again today, got the 16:15 service down to Ballina, departed on time (Well done IE, was very impressed. ) Nothing short of a mess though for the Limerick train, the stock for that run only arrived after the train was due to depart as far as I can tell, a nice queue snaked around the concourse area.

Anyone know what happened to the DMU on the Ballina brach? Its been busses for 2 days and the guy at Customer Service hadn't a clue, equally as bad was the other fella ringing up to see if he'd make an announcement for Newbridge bound PAX to take the Newbridge arrow a few mins after the Limerick train!
Unread 09-02-2007, 21:28   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Railcar broke a few days back, no notice on the IE site, the same railcar has been up there since the start of December, 8 weeks without seeing any serious maintenance
Unread 09-02-2007, 22:30   #10
StephenM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Railcar broke a few days back, no notice on the IE site, the same railcar has been up there since the start of December, 8 weeks without seeing any serious maintenance
I take it thats a bad thing? What kind of an operational nightmare does that cause if it was regularly taken out of service then, it was fine when it was a 071 as there were plenty of those or 141's around for the freight trans!
Unread 09-02-2007, 22:36   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In the old days replacement coaches where tacked on the Fridays only to Ballina and those in need of repair on the Sunday Ballina to Dublin

Realistically it needs to be swapped weekly
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:01   #12
StephenM
Regular Poster

Quote:
In the old days replacement coaches where tacked on the Fridays only to Ballina and those in need of repair on the Sunday Ballina to Dublin
What I dont get is how Ballina gets a weekly service from Dublin but nothing extra to Dublin, instead its run from Westport... Although I do like it when on Bank Holidays Ballina gets an extra service on the Monday.

Is it not cheaper to run the train into and out of the same terminus?
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:17   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its complicated but the train gets back from Ballina to Dublin seems to be a trip to Athlone involved