Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-02-2014, 20:38   #1
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Default Commuter Livery Needs A Change

Anyone else think the commuter livery should change?

10 plus years in the green, white and blue.

Needs a different colour to distinguish it from the DART in my opinion.

Time for a change!
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-02-2014, 20:50   #2
m3parkway
New to the board

There is a new livery planned once the overhaul is complete. A mk3 coach was painted in Inchicore with the new livery as a test. Solid green colour with white doors. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/atta...6&d=1392212411
m3parkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-02-2014, 20:57   #3
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

I really like the commuter colours, love the green. The Dart's are horrible while the 22's are nice but not a fan of the shade of green on them.

Quote:
There is a new livery planned once the overhaul is complete. A mk3 coach was painted in Inchicore with the new livery as a test. Solid green colour with white doors. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/atta...6&d=1392212411
Not a fan of the colour green used to dark.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 08:58   #4
AD11
New to the board

I would much prefer them to spend the money on extra carriages and more spacious or comfortable seating. They could be pink with yellow and green spots on them for all I care about the colour.
Unread 26-02-2014, 10:29   #5
joey
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3parkway View Post
Let's turn more people away from rail travel...
Brutal looking.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 13:38   #6
James Howard

It looks hideous but I suppose it goes with the equally hideous new logo. Fiddling while Rome burns. Bus Eireann have had the same branding from the start and they changed the livery once very shortly after they were set up.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 15:41   #7
AD11
New to the board

It'll match the hideous new levels of service we are experiencing.
Unread 26-02-2014, 17:42   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

The new colour livery is horrid, if this colour will be introduced I can't imagine this at all. The interior of the seating is blue with bright white everywhere and the exterior will be Green/White doors it will look terrible. The old Iarnrod Eireann arrow sign was better. I was joking with a friend today about this colour livery, it wouldn't surprise me if they did go ahead with the green an white doors and probably an orange border along the windows that will give it the Irish flag/Irish rails new Logo Green White and Orange
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 18:11   #9
m3parkway
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
The new colour livery is horrid, if this colour will be introduced I can't imagine this at all. The interior of the seating is blue with bright white everywhere and the exterior will be Green/White doors it will look terrible.
The seats have already been changed to a more green colour to match.

m3parkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 22:32   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

From a purely technical point of view that livery would not be allowed in public service on an electrified route, that said none of IE's current liveries bar the ICR comply

There is a EU legal requirement for the doors to be a different colour to the rest of the carriage so that explains the doors

The 29k fleet is 10 years in service and due a paint, if that was the case they would be trying this out on a stored 2700 unit

They tried out some strange liveries on the MK3 intl coach too

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 26-02-2014 at 22:35.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2014, 23:35   #11
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
From a purely technical point of view that livery would not be allowed in public service on an electrified route, that said none of IE's current liveries bar the ICR comply

There is a EU legal requirement for the doors to be a different colour to the rest of the carriage so that explains the doors

The 29k fleet is 10 years in service and due a paint, if that was the case they would be trying this out on a stored 2700 unit

They tried out some strange liveries on the MK3 intl coach too
Rather than just posting half-statements like this, it would help the rest of us understand if you would explain why?

Why is it and no other livery compliant?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 00:21   #12
Traincustomer

Just a thought... how many jobs, even temporary year-long contracts could be created with the hundreds of thousands of euro that livery changes cost? Could these jobs yield more in the way of bettering the customer experience and bringing in money than a livery? More than likely yes if focusing on the right things. And how many millions has the state imparted with over the years for various rebrandings that at the end of the day matter little to everyday customers/clients if there is insufficient change for the better in the organisations.

Not singling IÉ out here or wishing to detract from the foregoing informed debate about liveries but just making a general observation and putting perspective on its relative unimportance given the much more serious issues of our times.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 27-02-2014 at 00:25.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 00:26   #13
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3parkway View Post
The seats have already been changed to a more green colour to match.

Thank you I've seen these seats when the train was passing a station I was curious. They are better design should be on all 22k
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 00:29   #14
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
Just a thought... how many jobs, even temporary year-long contracts could be created with the hundreds of thousands of euro that livery changes cost? Could these jobs yield more in the way of bettering the customer experience and bringing in money than a livery? More than likely yes if focusing on the right things. And how many millions has the state imparted with over the years for various rebrandings that at the end of the day matter little to everyday customers/clients if there is insufficient change for the better in the organisations.

Not singling IÉ out here or wishing to detract from the foregoing informed debate about liveries but just making a general observation and putting perspective on its relative unimportance given the much more serious issues of our times.
Presumably the trains will only be reliveried when they come up for repainting in the normal course.

There is a normal cycle involved in which trains/buses are repainted, so it is hardly true to say that a new livery being applied necessarily costs hundreds of thousands of EURO.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 16:32   #15
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Anyone else think the commuter livery should change?
I don't see a particular problem.

Once technical requirements are taken care of (doors in contrasting colour, finish is readily cleanable, trains ends are readily visible in poor conditions) and it doesn't offend sensibilities (Arriva Trains Wales have an interior anti-graffiti pattern on some trains that looks untidy), I'm not sure that many people care what colour a train is.

The suggested green looks perhaps too dark. Having the doors white would probably show up the most dirt in the locations where it is most noticed.
Unread 27-02-2014, 19:22   #16
Jamie2k9

I take it the rules from EU on colures are the reaons why IE changed the doors on the 22's from the gray to green?
Unread 27-02-2014, 20:23   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Yup, plus the colour of the door buttons

We had an interesting chat with Irish Rail about the door colour when the first unit appeared in Waterford on display
Unread 02-03-2014, 00:51   #18
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Y plus the colour of the door buttons

We had an interesting chat with Irish Rail about the door colour when the first unit appeared in Waterford on display
What was the problem with the buttons, would of expected Green and Red to be standard around the world?

Just on the new livery, surly IE will just follow the 22s, 2600 and 2800 and have the same applied to the 2900's and have the whole fleet silver and green doors with yellow ends. Would be very surprised if IE go for a completely different livery for the 2900's.
Unread 02-03-2014, 18:52   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Here you go before and after
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 18.51.55.PNG
Views:	1934
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1579
Green button didn't open the door..

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 18.52.25.PNG
Views:	1922
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	1578

Inside

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 18.55.18.PNG
Views:	1835
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1581
Which button does what?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 18.56.49.PNG
Views:	1827
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1580

Quite a difference

Incidentally the Mk3 coach has had a number of different trial liveries applied

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 02-03-2014 at 18:56.
Unread 04-03-2014, 23:25   #20
ocian
New to the board

Quote:
Incidentally the Mk3 coach has had a number of different trial liveries applied
I don't suppose you managed to get any pictures Mark? Just out of curiosity
ocian is offline   Reply With Quote