Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-01-2014, 15:08   #1
AD11
New to the board

Default Smoking on train!

I hadnt seen this in a long time but there was one, possibly even two people standing between 2 carriages smoking on the 18.05 from Connolly to Longford yesterday evening.

As if it wasnt uncomfortable enough the stench of smoke was disgusting. Added to that the unfortunate fact that there was a distinct smell of urine coming in too made it for one of the worst trips ever.

The only consolation was that I did have a seat for a change. I've had to make arrangements at work to slip away 5 minutes before time just to have a chance of a seat. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Getting back to the smoking, there were 2 Gardai at Mullingar but I dont know if that was only a coincidence.

Where are the Irish Rail staff when something really unpleasant not to mention illegal like that is going on?
Unread 28-01-2014, 15:30   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Toilets are all fitted with smoke alarms.

The coaches are stuff full of emergency handles, passenger driver communication alarms and so on.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 15:38   #3
AD11
New to the board

They werent in the toilets. They were between carriages.
Unread 28-01-2014, 16:24   #4
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

There was somebody smoking on the 1905 to Sligo last night as well. There aren't smoke alarms in all trains or they don't work. Just before Christmas I was beside the able-bodied toilet on a 29K and there was an couple who nipped in every 5 minutes to take a quick puff on a joint.

You daren't do anything about it - particularly if you are trying to get a bit of work done because at the very least you are likely to get your laptop smashed. It is not up to the customer to do anything about this - they need a staff member in the passenger area of the train. I haven't seen an Irish Rail staff member on the 1805 to Longford for at least 5 years.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 17:02   #5
AD11
New to the board

I agree James, any one challenging scumbags on the train is more likely to end up in hospital or worse. Sad times we live in.
Unread 28-01-2014, 17:52   #6
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Mark

Do the alarms on the 22's actually alert the driver, they get set off with a little wind and I don't believe for one minute staff are informed as they say as they never do anything so its pointless.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote