Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-05-2016, 13:53   #1
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Default Bikes on Trains

I recently booked a day return ticket from Dublin to Westport and reserved my bicycle space, so I could do the Greenway Westport to Achill run.

All went fine, but bicycle rack was in a different carriage to the reserved seat on outward journey and at the other end of the right carriage on the return!

Great facility though.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2016, 14:52   #2
laoisfan
Regular Poster

WOW!!!
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2016, 16:02   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Having trains pointing the right way is not one of Irish Rail's strong points. Not a big problem for most people, but a bit of a pain for cyclists and wheelchair users.

You should try the Mullingar / Athlone link next time. You could easily enough do a one-way to Athlone and get back to Dublin the same day by bike. If you get bored, there's also the option of giving up at Mullingar, or any of the other stations between there and Dublin.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2016, 17:31   #4
Jamie2k9

Coaches were probably numbers A-D in the 4 coach unit while IE have finally done something that I have posted here and capped most online bookings to 3 coaches A-C and add further online capacity as needed.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-05-2016, 23:55   #5
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
You should try the Mullingar / Athlone link next time.
Thanks James - looks like there is indeed some "Greenway" between the 2 stations that was opened quite recently.
Unread 01-06-2016, 09:00   #6
James Howard

I walked most of it a couple of months ago. There is a short cycle between Athlone station and the start of the greenway and then it's plain sailing off-road to Mullingar. The Royal Canal path then goes parallel to the railway all the way to Dublin.

Irish Rail should really be making a bit more of it from a marketing perspective. A return ticket that works on both lines would be useful to tourists and would drum up a bit of business.

Last edited by James Howard : 01-06-2016 at 09:29.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2021, 13:04   #7
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Great to see a bit more bike capacity coming down the line, though I'm not sure it will be enough.

Two weeks ago I got the train up to Ballina with my bike on the first train of the day (from Dublin), and back from Sligo on the last train of the day, cycling between the two. A very enjoyable coastal route, and at 70km it was doable in a day.

There must have been 6 bikes on both the outward and return trains. (It didn't help that the 7.35am from Heuston doubles up as a Galway and Westport train as far as Athlone.) Guards are not turning people away who don't book their bikes, so they end up between carriages. Tickets don't even show that you have a reserved space.

Personally, I think it's time to substantially increase bike capacity, just like Scotrail are doing. Clearly, if people are bringing their bikes anyway, despite seeing that there is no booked space left for them, I suspect even more would use it if they knew there was a dedicated portion of the train.

https://irishcycle.com/2021/07/29/ir...bicycle-space/

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/bike-ca...ar-at-home?top

Last edited by Eddie : 03-08-2021 at 16:34.
Unread 25-10-2021, 12:58   #8
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Anyone know what size train arrives in Dublin (from Cork) at 21.06 on a Saturday evening? Not sure where I can find this information on the Irish Rail website.

Says it is currently booked out for bikes, but not sure if this is a Mark 4 train with perhaps more available space for bikes than the notional 2 available for booking.

Looking to board at Limerick Junction.