Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-05-2016, 17:41   #1
ThomasJ

Default Shane Ross new minister for transport tourism sport

Just been announced.

Interesting times ahead
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 22:04   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

SIPTU and Jack will be delighted, wonder will we see calls for DOT to intervene with Luas dispute now....

As he is Dublin based prehaps it may help but impotently no minister that lives in Tipp or between Limerick and Donegal was selected. Ross also hasn't had much nice things to say about CIE over the years.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 06-05-2016 at 22:07.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 22:42   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its going to get painful for CIE management no question.

CIE is a bit like the HSE, money keeps getting thrown at it but it never seems to get better.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 23:03   #4
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Its going to get painful for CIE management no question.

CIE is a bit like the HSE, money keeps getting thrown at it but it never seems to get better.
I think CIE needs to go, no questions, the money spend on boards and management is a small fortune. I'm sure the 3 operators could trim the top as well. Got to be a more effective financing model available.

To be fair I think IE have been quiet good over the last few years but I'm sure always room to improve.

Don't get me started on the HSE, the funding per GDP for the return is astounding, full of needless management.

Then again always the chance of an election any time, if they manage until 2018 they will be doing very well, personally I can only see next budget been passed as there is bound to be a major scandal bubbling under the surface or if water charges come back next year!
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:13   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

The chapter in "wasters" on CIE is very interesting reading, those of us here long enough remember all that (and there was a lot more which was never published)

Will he be a case of poacher becomes gamekeeper, though?
Unread 10-05-2016, 18:41   #6
Jamie2k9

Angry

http://connachttribune.ie/economic-r...aremorris-022/
Unread 11-05-2016, 09:36   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

if it is a proper economic review then it'll never happen.

From a passenger point of view Ross could be good as he will try and get rid of waste and outdated practices within the network - however that could be a double edged sword as we could end up back with a leo varadkar philosophy of cutting the subvention as well. I heard enough of one of the independent lads saying luas drivers (and anyone else) had to "live in the real world" on Saturday view. Coming form a TD this is kinda hard to stomach.
Unread 14-05-2016, 16:31   #8
Jamie2k9

Shane Ross's Sunday paper article might be one to watch tomorrow, he was on RTE earlier and said the the following about Jack!

Quote:
Mr Ross also said he will "throw out an olive branch" to SIPTU leader Jack O'Connor

He said he did not take back anything he has said in the past but that as minster he would have to talk to people constructively.

He admitted he had been critical of trade union leaders and referred to Mr O'Connor and others as "the bearded ones" in articles in the past, but he said both men were going to have to put the past behind them.

However, speaking on RTE's Saturday with Claire Byrne, Mr O'Connor said it is wrong for the Minister for Transport to say that the Luas dispute is not something a minister can get involved in.

He said an intervention is possible by the Government, but it is its decision not to do so.

Mr O'Connor said the row over pay at Luas needs third party intervention and it is now time for an outside group, who is respected from all sides, to try and bring these parties out of deadlock and hammer out an agreement.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0514/788408-luas-dispute/