Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-11-2009, 22:58   #1
Julian989
New to the board

Default Withdrawal of direct Limerick - Dublin trains

Am I being a little blind but nobody seems to have mentioned that Limerick's direct trains to Dublin have been axed from 29th November - back to the old days of just two directs trains (remember those via Ballybrophy?) Or is the timetable just wrong? Or am I missing something?

(http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey...erick%2010.pdf) As far as I can see the number of through trains between Dublin and Limerick will be reduced to just two in each direction.
Julian989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 23:32   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its 3 trains

From Dublin
15:25
16:25
17:25

From Limerick
5:35
6:55
7:35

Sunday which is the busiest day of the week has 6 trains direct each way. The direct trains are up to 20 minutes slower than the change at Limerick Junction.

We are concerned, however we know passenger numbers on some of the withdrawn trains were woeful, so a balance is required as empty trains mean higher fares long term. Cork passengers are the real losers as those trains have to make numerous extra stops. I doubt a case can be made for the 9:25 or 11:25 but the removal of the 13:25 from Dublin is causing some concern as it was full on a Friday.

If there is a specific train you think should not have been withdrawn and can testify to it having a significant number of passengers let us know.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 10-11-2009 at 23:45.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-11-2009, 18:42   #3
neoncircles

Its a shame to see some of the direct services being removed, however,

A lunchtime service to Limerick, (1325) and evening service back to Dublin (1735) were useful services,

Also, given the 1705 "express" to Limerick has been moved to 1625, and looks as if its going to be operated by 6x 22000 with first class, is the 1725 still going to be allocated 2x3 sets? The 1705 was always full any time I got it, and seeing as the 1725 calls at many more places, will it be operated by a high capacity 6 set or first set?
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote