Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-05-2008, 07:29   #1
tigger1962

Default Keeping passengers on ice

Lately I've been getting the 06.35 Dundalk to Bray service and one thing has begun to annoy me. A lot of the time the second carriage from the driver is a toilet carriage and the windows are usually open when i get on the carriage, presumably because of the smell from the toilet. This tends to make the carriage cold but usually only to the outside temperature. A number of mornings I noticed that the carriage was much colder than outside, this morning in particular it was particularly cold.. so cold in fact that you could see the vapour in peoples breath even though the outside temperature was 8C (according to my car) and only 3.2C in the carriage ( I have a thermometer on my watch) Now i can only put this down to the airconditioning unit being on and no heat on the train to counter it! All the other carriages that I checked were warmer so its obviously a fault on this carriage! Since I now get this train every day, I've begun to recognise this carriage in particular and its always colder than the rest of the train! Why can't IE fix the carriage!!! or is it just a case of its beyond our budget and sure it only affects a few passengers stupid enough to stay on the carriage!
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2008, 08:31   #2
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
Lately I've been getting the 06.35 Dundalk to Bray service and one thing has begun to annoy me. A lot of the time the second carriage from the driver is a toilet carriage and the windows are usually open when i get on the carriage, presumably because of the smell from the toilet. This tends to make the carriage cold but usually only to the outside temperature. A number of mornings I noticed that the carriage was much colder than outside, this morning in particular it was particularly cold.. so cold in fact that you could see the vapour in peoples breath even though the outside temperature was 8C (according to my car) and only 3.2C in the carriage ( I have a thermometer on my watch) Now i can only put this down to the airconditioning unit being on and no heat on the train to counter it! All the other carriages that I checked were warmer so its obviously a fault on this carriage! Since I now get this train every day, I've begun to recognise this carriage in particular and its always colder than the rest of the train! Why can't IE fix the carriage!!! or is it just a case of its beyond our budget and sure it only affects a few passengers stupid enough to stay on the carriage!

Ha ha ha. Usually at this time of year people write to complain about the carriages being too warm.

Bring a jumper along!
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2008, 22:27   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

If there are temperature problems on a train tell the driver. 90% of the time he can fix it by turning the heating/aircon off and back on.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2008, 12:27   #4
chipper
Regular Poster

The 06:46 from Drogheda has implemented a very cunning system of zonal heating that could keep even the Three Bears happy! Some carriages are freezing, some are somewhere between freezing and luke warm and some are just perfect so depending upon your point of view you can usually get something to suit. Of course it changes every day so today carriage 3 might be just nice but tomorrow you can see your breath on it. I like my morning train smokin hot so I tend to get on at the front and walk the length of the train until I get something with heat. If it was intentional it would be worthy of praise but this is Irish Rail we are talking about so it can only be attributed to incompetence in something so simple as heating a carriage.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote