Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-11-2010, 15:44   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default Smoking in train toilets

Once again today, the toilet on the Sligo train randomly decided to start accusing me of smoking, with a recorded announcement advising me that this was illegal and a staff member had been notified (ha!).

This has happened a few times. Is there any actual smoke detector or does it go off at random intervals?

It's quite annoying, as the message is quite loud and repeats a few times, plus it's embarrassing if anyone's waiting outside who then thinks you are actually smoking.

(In fact, if I do end up getting dirty looks from other passengers as a result of being verbally accused of something illegal with no basis, would that constitute slander?)

*Clarification: I've never smoked
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-11-2010, 19:57   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Welcome to the ICR toilet unit, its already been raised with Irish Rail
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-11-2010, 16:31   #3
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Welcome to the ICR toilet unit, its already been raised with Irish Rail
Lol, thanks. Good to know I'm not just randomly emitting nicotine fumes
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2010, 19:34   #4
James Shields

I've had the same thing happen in the toilets on the Enterprise.

I now feel bad for every time I've given people dirty looks when it happened to them.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2010, 20:34   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The enterprise issue is long standing.

In both cases it appears that if you spend a long time in the toilet you are likely to hear the pa.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-11-2010, 08:43   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

You may need to see a doctor if you're setting off the smoke alarm in the toilet. This has happened to me a couple of times.

I am probably going to get myself beaten up over this someday. There is a fairly rough-looking bloke who occasionally takes the 1805 to Longford and brings a couple of tins of strong cider for refreshment. He is not part of the regular front car Mullingar-bound party group. Anyway, this guy always nips into the toilet between Mullingar and Edgeworthsdown for a smoke. On Monday, I was feeling a bit civic minded (must be something to do with current events) so I told the station attendant at Edgeworthstown as I was getting off. While I was doing this, the offender looked out the door and saw me talking to the station attendant who them went off to give the bloke a bollocking.

The problem with this train is that it is driver-only so nobody in their right mind is going to do anything about smoking in the toilet as you have no hope of any backup. On a related note, somebody was arrested off the 0705 Connolly - Sligo last week. I would like to know how that came about as I doubt there is a ticket collector on that train.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote