Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-10-2010, 08:08   #1
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

Default [11/10/2010] Delays on Maynooth line

Seems like delays all morning on the Maynooth line.

7.15 from Maynooth to Connolly pulled into Maynooth after 7.20.

In station they said something along the lines of a problem with the longford train which I can't understand how longford side can effect a train from dublin to maynooth

Last edited by Trampas : 11-10-2010 at 09:55.
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:11   #2
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Based on the fact that the 0545 from Sligo was 25 minutes late getting to Connolly, I would have expected the 0545 frm Longford to have been 10 or 15 minutes late at Maynooth.

So the 0715 from Maynooth would have ended up late because it had to let the Longford train through first.

I guess we are in for a week or two of chaos due to the extremely shocking and surprising event of all the leaves suddenly dropping of the trees. This is surely an unprecedented environemental catastophe that couldn't have been predicted or avoided.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:24   #3
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

James the 7.15 arrives at 6.50ish and stops on the otherside to the 5.45 longford train.
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:52   #4
ThomasJ

This is a wheelslip (autumn leaves) problem. Every single year it repeats itself without fail! last friday I got off the 23:10 in ashtown and the usual symptoms of the revving of the engine and the length of time to depart the station!

Here's the thread from last year!
http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showth...ight=Wheelslip

Last edited by ThomasJ : 11-10-2010 at 09:56. Reason: fix link
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:37   #5
europhile
New to the board

Ashtown. 12.06 arrived at 12.22. No announcement. I phoned Irish Rail at 12.12 and they told me the next train was at 12.50. The scheduled time. She then phoned Control at my insistence who told her that there'd be a train at 12.19. I am livid.

Why no information?

Is there a direct number that can be phoned for train information rather than sitting through endless Options?

Last edited by europhile : 11-10-2010 at 11:40.
europhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:53   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

On the Maynooth line, there is no live data source so unless you call the signalman in Maynooth you ain't going to get a straight answer. It will be at least 3 years before that is resolved.

Elsewhere you can get live info online, at the platform, or on the screen in the booking office
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:24   #7
europhile
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
On the Maynooth line, there is no live data source so unless you call the signalman in Maynooth you ain't going to get a straight answer. It will be at least 3 years before that is resolved.

Elsewhere you can get live info online, at the platform, or on the screen in the booking office
The Next Train function on the Irish Rail website was also saying 12.50 (or 12.51).

The platform Information buzzer thing was not working - or else nobody was answering it.

The booking office is on the other platform and is generally not manned.

Useless.
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:34   #8
ThomasJ

100% agreement!

It goes to showhow backwards this shower are, when they can provide realtime functionality for places served by trains running every 15 minutes and have stations mostly open and cant do that for those that aren't

I have memories of standing at castleknock on a cold wet Saturday night, trains were cancelled. No announcement at station, no alert on website! Sums it all up!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:52   #9
europhile
New to the board

The 12.51 to Pearse would have enabled me to get to Leeson Street by 1.30 but I didn't trust Irish Rail. Had I gone for it and had it been late, I would have had to get a taxi at a cost of about EU20. This is after I've forked out for an annual pass.

Does Irish Rail actually realise the many ways in which it inconveniences its customers?
Unread 11-10-2010, 13:57   #10
Ballymore
Regular Poster

I was in early today - accidentally of course - arrived Mullingar 7.15 or so for my normal 7.26 departure only to see the earlier 'Pearse Station' train just arriving.

Lots of puzzled faces around, some got on, some didnt. I did as I assumed there would be a knock on effect to the trains behind it. It was like a ghost train until Maynooth and we passed empty platforms in places. However after that it was standing all the way for lots.

Lots of grumbles when a belated apology arrived (just as we got to Connolly) and also announced the train not going to Pearse after all but was now being terminated in Connolly.
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:10   #11
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by europhile View Post
The 12.51 to Pearse would have enabled me to get to Leeson Street by 1.30 but I didn't trust Irish Rail. Had I gone for it and had it been late, I would have had to get a taxi at a cost of about EU20. This is after I've forked out for an annual pass.

Does Irish Rail actually realise the many ways in which it inconveniences its customers?
Almost certainly.

Do they care?

Almost certainly not.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 14:30   #12
James Howard

The frustrating thing is that a lot of these are tiny issues that cost you minutes every day yet would cost little or nothing.

For example, at Edgeworthstown station, there is only one exit and it is at one end of the train. So quite often, as the train has sailed half-way to Longford (which is another issue - why can't trains stop consistently?. In Tokyo, they can stop trains within about a 2 inch margin of error.), you get out and are standing right beside your car. But you have to walk the length of six railcars to the exit and the back down again. If this happens on a Friday, you end up stuck behind the Mammies double-parked at the exit picking up their kids from college and it can take you 20 minutes to get out of the station.

There is no security issue as the main exit is rarely locked at night as the station is usually unmanned for the last train. There are no tag-off issues at this stage. It is just simple stupid laziness of thought.
Unread 12-10-2010, 16:08   #13
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The standard policy as far as I am aware is that trains should stop with the front of the train level with the front of the platform.

Needless to say this doesn't always happen.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2010, 11:59   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

James, long ago in Malahide (before the gate on the northbound platform was made public), many of the regulars had copped that the trick is to move to the part of the train where it is most likely to stop at the bottom of the stairs.

Generally, platform end exits are better as there is a trickle of people leaving. Putting the gate in the middle means people are approaching from both directions.
Unread 13-10-2010, 13:49   #15
James Howard

I agree that selecting the appropriate car is the easiest solution, and the Mammies problem is largely resolved by sitting in the last car of the train. However, this does present some difficulties.

As I use a laptop on the train, I have a fairly specific seat requirement on a 29k. Basically, I need a left hand side (less screen glare), forward-facing seat with a proper table. I normally take the 1805 which is a 22k so if I want a suitable seat in the last car I would need to turn up half an hour early which I am not prepared to do. This seat normally remains available in the front car up until about 1745.

So normally, I just move back down the train between Mullingar and Edgeworthstown. This isn't always possible, especially on autumn Fridays when the aisles are blocked by enormous bags of washing for the aforementioned Mammies.

So, although my seating requirements are a bit strange, it wouldn't kill Irish Rail to cut a hole in the fence to let people out into the car park with a bit less trudging.