Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-08-2009, 18:56   #101
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Update

Update: http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showth...8919#post48919
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:42   #102
roamling

Thumbs down 33 bus disruptions and M1

normal 33 Bus service was affected in Lusk yesterday and today in the morning. today a Dublin Bus Conductor as well as local politicians were present at the bus stop taking notes.

the issue was that the extra 33X buses showed up, but the "normal" 33 bus (for example for people going to swords) was irregular. this is not acceptable that the normal bus users face disruptions because of the IE disruption.

furthermore traffic on the M1 into town is quiet heavy compared to last week. commuters using the car and the end of the school holiday definitely have a negative effect on travel times
roamling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 09:42   #103
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffit View Post
The Connolly to Drogheda bus drivers are total pr**ks. They are refusing to stop en-route to Drogheda.
I guess this is as a result of a DB case with the LRC a few years ago. The DB union (and they were backed by the LRC) claimed that if a driver let passengers off at an un-designated bus stop and the passenger injured themselves, the driver himself and not the company could be sued for damages. Put in those shoes, I wouldn't let people off between stops either.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 19:44   #104
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Exclamation Posting in the correct place

There are three threads related to the Malahide Viaduct

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=10257 for latest travel details

General discussion of the viaduct collapse in this thread please http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=10256

Passenger experiences and travel advice here http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=10264

Posts will be moved by the moderators to the most appropriate forum!
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:29   #105
Neutraliser
New to the board

Angry Annoyed Laytown commuter

I am an annual ticket holder normally travelling from Laytown. Since the collapse I have travelled on the buses provided at Drogheda and Connolly.
This has been my experience to date.

4 of the buses had wasps (I assume they had not purchased valid tickets!).
3 of the buses had dirty or poorly functioning seatbelts.
1 of the buses had a suspension system which was malfunctioning in that the bus bounced vertically several times each time it came to a stop.

All of these items are safety issues - ask anyone allergic to wasp stings. One hopes none of the drivers suffer from that. Anaphylaptic shock can be fatal.

Other issues
5 of the buses had poorly functioning air conditioning (too cold).
None of the buses had adequate cabin stowage for a mid sized daily commuter type knapsack.
Average commute time Drogheda to Connolly has been 50 minutes (departing approx. 7.00 AM). I measured it.
On contacting the lo-call number on Friday 28th August, I was on the line for 20 minutes before I got to talk to someone who could actually be even mildly assistive.
The timetabling of the evening trains from Drogheda to Laytown last week was abysmal (at a frequency of 2 hours).
This week the first train from Laytown Northbound is 07.30. Thats not good enough.
There seems to be lots of jobs for men (very few women), with clipboards at the stations. One questions the extent of their value add.

Am I alone in my views?
Neutraliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:02   #106
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
But its no longer in Inchicore its in Heuston, highly unlikely to be honest, when there are 3 usable sets elsewhere
It is now back in Inchicore.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:14   #107
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
It is now back in Inchicore.
The game to hide it continues
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:29   #108
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Welcome to the board, Neutraliser.

My immediate suggestion is that in the case of wasps, malfunctioning seatbelts, malfunctioning suspension, and air conditioning issues, you inform the bus driver immediately of the problem. Chances are he won't have noticed, and only if someone brings it to his attention is there any chance of anything getting fixed.

I don't think IÉ or the bus companies can do anything about Dublin traffic or congestion on the phone lines with so many people ringing in.

The first northbound train from Laytown was at 0752 before the collapse, so 0729 seems to me to be an improvement. If you're looking to get into the city centre early, get a southbound train at 0612 0636 0707 or 0748, change at Balbriggan onto a direct bus service at 0630 0700 0730 and 0800 respectively, or at Skerries onto the 33X, or at Donabate onto a direct bus service to Tara Street, or at Donabate onto a bus to Malahide for the DART.

Drogheda-Laytown is now gone hourly or more frequent.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 14:23   #109
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutraliser View Post
1 of the buses had a suspension system which was malfunctioning in that the bus bounced vertically several times each time it came to a stop.
I've been on that twice!!! Its like "pimp my ride"!!!!!!
irishsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:21   #110
Des Gargan
New to the board

Talking Working late

You think you have issues, try working late in Dublin and getting back to the in between stations on the northern line after 9.00 at night. It cant be done.
Des Gargan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:00   #111
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Gargan View Post
You think you have issues, try working late in Dublin and getting back to the in between stations on the northern line after 9.00 at night. It cant be done.
Have you tried taking the 33 bus?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:16   #112
chipper
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutraliser View Post
Average commute time Drogheda to Connolly has been 50 minutes (departing approx. 7.00 AM). I measured it.
This is at least 15 minutes faster than the train. I know three people who commute from Drogheda and all agree that the viaduct collapse has been a very good thing. I do appreciate though that if you use the other stations it is a different experience.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:28   #113
citizens7
New to the board

Default New Enterprise Timetable

The New Enterprise timetable (6th Sept onwards) states that the 08:00 from Belfast stops in Dundalk at 09:10. I understand from talking to staff in Dundalk that this is not the case and the timetable is wrong.
citizens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 19:23   #114
James Shields

I'm not very happy with the off peak bus timetable. In particular, if I go out after work, I used to have at least one train per hour. I now have a bus at 21:00, (which is a bit early, as many of the people I'd meet after work would tend to go home first and wouldn't get back till about 8pm), or waiting for the 23:20, meaning I don't get home till after midnight, (which may be enjoyable socially, but not condusive to a productive next day at work).

From tomorrow there's a new bus timetable that drops several services.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2009, 16:18   #115
roamling

Default 33 from town did not stop on Swords Main Street

today about 30 to 40 people were left standing in Swords as the bus heading towards Ballbrigan was full to capacity. This was around 3.30pm. The bus did not even stop at the bus stop. It stoped at a red light and left 1 person off whereas all the others stayed on board. People waiting at the bus stop were running towards the bus at the red light to get on but the bus was full and went on. The next bus was due in 1h.

Usually lots of people get of in Swords and travellers from Swords towards Lusk, Rush and so one can get on. In this case we can assume that lots of people who would have usually taken the train were on that bus (and not to mention all the school children which are adding extra capaity.)

So here we have the classical scenario were normal 33 bus travellers (who don't have the option to use the extra buses set up by IE because these dont go through Swords) are severly affected by the the train disruptions.

This is not acceptable. I rang IE and complained about the issue today. They need to provide the capacity for the train customers AND the regular bus customers. Dublin Bus is not to blame for what happened today.
Unread 21-09-2009, 18:34   #116
roamling

Default Clontarf to Lusk

I used the 33X for some days now, here my impressions and comparison with the train:

1. Train (from East Point Buisness Park to Lusk leaving at 4.30pm):

- going to Clontarf Dart station > take Dart to Howth Junction > take Communter to Lusk > walk from train station in Lusk to Lusk Village > 75 min

2. 33X (from East Point Buisness Park to Lusk leaving at 4.30pm)

- going to 130 Bus stop on the Howth Road > take 130 bus to city centre > take 33X from Custom House Quay to Lusk Village (trough port tunnel) > 60 min

(fare with travel 90 ticket € 1,80 one way)

that is taking into account all normal heavy traffic on the Quay's and road works on the motorway
Unread 22-09-2009, 08:55   #117
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Looks like some folks hurt in different 33X crashes this morning

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0922/rush.html

Quote:
Eight people have been hospitalised following two separate crashes in Rush, Co Dublin, involving two Dublin Bus vehicles.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-09-2009, 12:37   #118
roamling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Looks like some folks hurt in different 33X crashes this morning

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0922/rush.html
I was on the way into town in a 33X that left Rush before the incidents happened, there were at least two fire brigades going towards Rush at that time and then another one later for the second incident. It is really tragic that all these events in the last weeks are affecting this part of the network.