Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-10-2007, 08:42   #1
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Default 07:18 Drogheda to Bray

Newer carriages today - ( a welcome change from the sets of 2 x 2 couch and burn-your- legs-off under seat heating - sorry Im not up to speed on the models numbers yet)and an automated announcement of all stops and destination on the train before it left the station.

However, didn't get into Pearse until 08:37 - 17 mins late and no explanation to why.
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 15:37   #2
ThomasJ

Yeah but it is currently on the maynooth line heading inbound and should reach connolly by around quarter to five. Some other peak hour service possibly will suffer for a change. Although i personally dont mind them
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 16:30   #3
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggachuggachoochoo View Post
Newer carriages today - ( a welcome change from the sets of 2 x 2 couch and burn-your- legs-off under seat heating - sorry Im not up to speed on the models numbers yet)and an automated announcement of all stops and destination on the train before it left the station.

However, didn't get into Pearse until 08:37 - 17 mins late and no explanation to why.
I was on it aswell, i didnt gt how it was late, the rate of travel didnt seem slower or anything, i guess it was just one of those days.
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:12   #4
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

It's back to the desperate old train today. Thought I would collapse in the heat, woke up to find my open window closed by some crazy fool It seemed really packed to the gills this morning.

No, it never feels like a slower journey when it's late. Of course that could be the lack of oxygen going to my brain...
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:24   #5
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Did you notice was it a shorter train than normal?
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:34   #6
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

That would explain the crowding. Well there was no announcements about it at Drogheda, as per usual.

I didn't think to count the carriages this morning, it was still so dark when i was boarding
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:38   #7
ThomasJ

that train formed the 16:04 maynooth-connolly yesterday and it was eight carriages long. don't know what train it ran last night but there didn't seem to be any noticable problems
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:17   #8
Unshelved
New to the board

It was about 12 minutes late yesterday and today. No explanations or apologies - perhaps it's due to extra people getting on at each station and the time that takes. Still, it's a pain though.

And as for
Quote:
burn-your- legs-off under seat heating
- be grateful that you have a seat and have a bit of sympathy for us "daily standers" !

Because of overcrowding, it's really a struggle to board for those who get on in Donabate - I don't envy them. It must be a health and safety issue at this stage.

Also, can't they do something about exiting Pearse Street station - it's taking longer every day. I understand that tickets have to be checked, but it's a bit of an insult when they insist on it on days when the train is late and you're in a hurry. In addition, they really need to widen the doors into/out of the station - if there was an emergency and had to exit in a hurry we'd really be in trouble.
Unshelved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:36   #9
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Hi Unshelved, nice to see someone else from the same route

I got the 06:58 train instead today, to avoid being in a hurry to get to work. And I think I'll have to continue this if the situation doesn't improve.

The train situation in the morning is desperate. They need to add more carriages, more trains or something to improve matters. I wish they had the double decker trains like in France.

I'm an evening stander until balbriggan on the way back. I know how awful it can be to stand and not even be able to drink a bit of water cos you've no room to lift your arm.

I agree with you on the ticket checking taking too long at Pearse, it's a daily pain, but what can we do, get off at another station and have longer walks in the morning?

Last edited by chuggachuggachoochoo : 03-10-2007 at 11:39.
Unread 03-10-2007, 13:51   #10
Terrontress
Regular Poster

I take that train in the morning and while it is awful, I definitely prefer the older trains as there is more room for standing than in the 29000s.

Getting on at Donabate isn't much fun although we don't have much choice as there is no bus service into the city.

I think that if we could stop people sitting on the floor, stop the kids messing, have a easier way into the station on Monday morning and put up signs asking people to refrain from breaking wind that the journey would be alot better.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 14:29   #11
Unshelved
New to the board

Quote:
The train situation in the morning is desperate. They need to add more carriages, more trains or something to improve matters. I wish they had the double decker trains like in France.
To be fair, I don't think it's any worse this year than it has been at this time over the last few years. It's always really crowded in October once the colleges get back in action. It'll calm down a bit as the students get a bit lazier about getting into early lectures.

As for improving matters, I feel kind of sorry for IR in some ways - it's not their fault that the County Council agreed to indiscriminate development along the corridor between Dublin and Dundalk. All developers should have been made contribute to a central fund to pay for extra schools, roads, transport like buses and trains and other infrastructural facilities.

But I suppose that that kind of thing only happens in civilised countries
Unshelved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 18:04   #12
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

As far as i could tell it was on time this morning, i was in college earlier than i have been most days. Also i allways sit at one of those heater seats and it doesnt burn me, hell it was so cold when i got on i had my hood up to help me fall asleep.

Not the same as last week though when i woke up to the person next to me spewing all over the floor. Poor man, he really was sick, my moms theory was that he was going through Chemo or something.