Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-09-2016, 09:14   #1
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Sick Passenger Protocol

So another morning of the entire system grinding to a halt due to a single sick passenger. The last time I was on the tube in London, I noticed a sign asking people to get off at the next station if they felt unwell. Is staffing too inconsistent in Dublin to allow this protocol to work or are you reasonably sure to find a staff-member at rush hour?
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2016, 09:07   #2
James Howard

This morning we had a medical attention stoppage at GCD causing 30 minutes delay. Then a second one at Sandymount - could the overcrowding from the first delay be contributory towards the second incident?

I presume this is the reasoning behind the notices on the Tube in London - if crowds build up due to a stoppage, people start dropping like flies - especially as the winter comes on, trains get stuffy and people are sicker in general.
Unread 03-10-2016, 17:36   #3
Jamie2k9

It's a tricky one to deal with.

What is DART capacity like this days and if there was more 8 coach units out would it help the situation given numbers are back up, i'm sure capacity isn't.

GCD had to be stopped as it was a platform incident.

Then there is the time it take for Ambulances to arrive, out of IE's control.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2016, 18:37   #4
Dublin13
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
This morning we had a medical attention stoppage at GCD causing 30 minutes delay. Then a second one at Sandymount - could the overcrowding from the first delay be contributory towards the second incident?

I presume this is the reasoning behind the notices on the Tube in London - if crowds build up due to a stoppage, people start dropping like flies - especially as the winter comes on, trains get stuffy and people are sicker in general.
Difference between the Tube and the DART is that the Tube is far less well ventilated since it is underground, The Bakerloo and especially the Central line are horrible places to be at peak times.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2016, 20:36   #5
ThomasJ

This happened on the maynooth line on Saturday with little time before the dublin match. Emergency services had to be called for a passenger. There had already been a mechanical fault on a train earlier in the day.

The end result was a maynooth bound train terminating in Clonsilla , that train then running inbound from Clonsilla and the maynooth train running nonstop after leixlip convey to drumcondra.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2016, 06:39   #6
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Wow, pity ordinary commuters don't get the same treatment but getting to the GAA on time is more important than getting to work on time, Angela please note !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2016, 06:47   #7
James Howard

One suspects there is a degree of legal arse-covering going on with Irish Rail which unfortunately unavoidable in this country. But it's hard to see why both directions had to be stopped in GCD yesterday morning.

My understanding is that the situation yesterday was a bit unusual in that somebody put their leg down the gap between a train door and platform. So depending on how well stuck they were a reasonable delay for one direction wasn't really avoidable.
Unread 04-10-2016, 13:14   #8
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Wow, pity ordinary commuters don't get the same treatment but getting to the GAA on time is more important than getting to work on time, Angela please note !
If it was another team it wouldn't of happened, Dublin is a special case, I'm been serious.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote