Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-03-2009, 15:46   #1
Rwinters
New to the board

Default 8am Gorey to Dublin

Is it true that an 8am train from Gorey to Dublin may be introduced. If yes what time will this arrive in Pearse station at and when is it likely to start?
Rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 16:01   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a whole new timetable for the Rosslare line due this Summer, so anything is possible

Its 1 hour 50 minutes Gorey Dublin so if a train was to leave at 8am it would reach Pearse sometime around 9:50am

Don't move house, take a job, buy annual ticket which depends on such a train until the train actually begins to run. And if it exists, just because it exists printed on paper doesn't mean the train will actually run, ask anyone in Cork

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-03-2009 at 17:58.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 19:19   #3
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Realistically, 2 morning services to dublin and 2 evening services to gorey should be sufficient.

However, when the new intercity trains free up the commuter trains currently being used to/from rosslare, i suppose an extra 8am commuter service Gorey to Dublin is quite possible.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 20:04   #4
KSW
Really Regular Poster

What is needed is 2 morning one late morning, 2/3 afternoon and one service in the evening-> I've seen how quite the line is at night..
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 20:52   #5
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
What is needed is 2 morning one late morning, 2/3 afternoon and one service in the evening-> I've seen how quite the line is at night..
Why 2/3 afternoon? Intercity service Dublin-Rosslare will take care of that.

Morning and evening peak services to/from Gorey is all that's required for Commuter services assuming that there will be 3 Intercity services (or possibly 4) daily,Rosslare to Dublin.
Unread 04-03-2009, 21:48   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Why 2/3 afternoon? Intercity service Dublin-Rosslare will take care of that.

Morning and evening peak services to/from Gorey is all that's required for Commuter services assuming that there will be 3 Intercity services (or possibly 4) daily,Rosslare to Dublin.
Just my thoughts - 13.30 & 16.30, I think just to space the 14.00's out in time not 14.10 & 40mins later for the other 14.50
Unread 04-03-2009, 22:36   #7
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

I'm just speculating but the current 11:35 commuter service to Gorey may be converted to InterCity if there are to be 4 direct services Dublin-Rosslare for the new timetable.

Of course there is a good chance there will probably be only 3 services given the times we are living in at the moment.
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:19   #8
DangerM
Regular Poster

I think what's needed is a later train from Dublin after the 18:39 one, it's really restrictive if you need to stay in work late or you want to go out for a few after work.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:22   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail refuse to base staff in Arklow or Gorey making a late evening train a no go. It would be cheaper by thats not the way Irish Rail think

Current rumors suggest the last train will be sometime after 7pm, possibly 7:15pm
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 14:15   #10
Rwinters
New to the board

A later morning train, i.e. 8am would be helpful for parents who have to drop kids off to creches etc or for people who can work flexi hours. The 3 choices in the afternoon/evening are ok but the morning times are not very practical for working parents!! I think Irish Rail should try focus more on the needs of the commuters. Nearly 60% of Gorey's population have to commute to Dublin so if there was a proper rail service more people would use the train as opposed to driving.
Unread 05-03-2009, 16:40   #11
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwinters View Post
A later morning train, i.e. 8am would be helpful for parents who have to drop kids off to creches etc - Nearly 60% of Gorey's population have to commute to Dublin so if there was a proper rail service more people would use the train as opposed to driving.
No disrespect but I wouldnt call 8am a late morning service. Your thoughts & views are your own.

I think IE should really do a daily survey on the line for one week only, getting each passenger's thoughts & views on the line and giving their option on IE's services & trains.
Unread 05-03-2009, 16:43   #12
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

In fairness, he said "later", not "late".
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 20:27   #13
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwinters View Post
A later morning train, i.e. 8am would be helpful for parents who have to drop kids off to creches etc or for people who can work flexi hours. The 3 choices in the afternoon/evening are ok but the morning times are not very practical for working parents!! I think Irish Rail should try focus more on the needs of the commuters. Nearly 60% of Gorey's population have to commute to Dublin so if there was a proper rail service more people would use the train as opposed to driving.
The problem is that anything at 8am or later won't get into Dublin for the typical 9am start, although admittedly people in retail or on flexi-time can start at 10am.
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:40   #14
Rwinters
New to the board

Why I suggested an 8am train is because not everyone works a typical 9am to 5.30pm today. Many employers now allow people to work flexi hours, job share etc. If a survey was to be done it should not just be limited to those who currently use the groey train. It needs somehow to be circulated to the wider Gorey community. Alot of people who use to travel on the train have now started to use the Bus as they offer more services and the early morning bus gets to Dublin quicker than the train. Irish Rail should really try to improve this service as many more people will be commuting to Dublin due to the loss of jobs in Wexford. Also if college fees are to be introduced students may travel up and down as oppossed to paying high rents in Dublin.
Unread 06-03-2009, 13:53   #15
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Current rumors suggest the last train will be sometime after 7pm, possibly 7:15pm
That'd be something I suppose, here's hoping! In relation to the other comments I have a straight 9 to 5 job with no option of flexi hours. I am waiting for the day that I miss the one train which will get me in on time!!
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 14:38   #16
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerM View Post
I am waiting for the day that I miss the one train which will get me in on time
Thats probably the best way of putting a phrase in Irish Rail terms.