Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 20-07-2006, 10:07   #1
James Shields

Default Enterprise Independant Monitoring Results

I spotted a poster yesterday, showing stats from independant monitoring of the Enterprise service (I'm not sure who the independant monitors were).

Down the left were customer satisfaction stats, which I presume they gathered by asking people, covering things like clenliness, availability and selection of food, frequency, convenience of timetable, price, parking at stations, that sort of thing.

Down the right were observed stats, including reliability (100%), punctuality of departure (around 85%), punctuality of arrival within 10 mins (70%).

Now this figure of 100% for reliability really gets me. I would define reliability as getting me there on time without breaking down. If I have to be at my destination in time for a meeting, I need to know I can rely on the service to get me there in time, but their own statistics say that there's only a 70% chance of that happening, so how does that constitute 100% reliability?

Perhaps someone can explain how IE and NIRailways define it.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2006, 10:14   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I saw the same poster up in Belfast recently its clearly faked to suit PR needs

Enterprise failures are running at an all time high from what I can see. Thankfully IE has a train on standby in Dublin Sunday evening to Friday afternoon and NIR can deploy a C3K which can beat the enterprise timings so a failure no longer leads to chaos and to be honest the C3K rides better than an enterprise and the old MK2d coaches are not that bad provided its not a hot day

The stat you want % of services operated by an enterprise set were operated by a subsitute

70% at destination within 10 is 20% below the normal 90% target but IE don't publish the enterprise stats

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 20-07-2006 at 14:15.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote