Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-08-2009, 15:48   #1
ThomasJ

Default [29-8-2009] 17:53 maynooth rosslare reduced capacity

As per the title the 17:53 maynooth rosslare will be reduced capacity (4 coach 2800)

Train has just left on the 16:41 connolly maynooth
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-08-2009, 17:40   #2
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Why?

I had the dubious pleasure of travelling on the delayed (no apology) 07.40 ex.Rosslare yesterday - €22.50 as against €10.00 by Bus Eireann. Incidentally, I didn't know about the cheap bus fare until I picked up a BE leaflet in my local Euro shop; when was the last time your saw an IE leaflet - anywhere outside of your local station? The Gourmet Rail employee had obviously been watching the HSE Swine Flu Ad. as he repeatedly sneezed into his elbow (shirt) mmmmmm!!!!

I returned on a four-piece 29000 class set (13.05 ex.Connolly) which had people standing from Connolly - what a fxxxxxing shambles - inter-city my b.....xxxxxxx!!!! It's the last time I will using the train until the 22000s arrive.
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-08-2009, 10:57   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I have stopped using the train for about 2months now, I use the comfortable Wexford bus service from Gorey to the City or to the Airport.

The fare from Gorey to City Center is 18euro, its only 1euro20cent dearer but you get into the City 1hr35mins later. Comfort and relaiablty verses Iarnrod Eireanns current railcars the 2800 set.

Bus Eireann from Gorey to Dublin is 18euro also takes 2hours to City.

The train can win with its fares and time if IE introduce a faster service.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-08-2009, 11:13   #4
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
I have stopped using the train for about 2months now, I use the comfortable Wexford bus service from Gorey to the City or to the Airport.

The fare from Gorey to City Center is 18euro, its only 1euro20cent dearer but you get into the City 1hr35mins later. Comfort and relaiablty verses Iarnrod Eireanns current railcars the 2800 set.

Bus Eireann from Gorey to Dublin is 18euro also takes 2hours to City.

The train can win with its fares and time if IE introduce a faster service.
Suprised to hear that it is cheaper to travel from Enniscorthy to Dublin than Gorey to Dublin - but obviously a marketing decision. IE have no plans to speed up services on the Rosslare line and I very much doubt that fares will be slashed. I fear that the 22000s, while being more comfortable, will be 3-piece sets and unable to cater for the numbers.
Unread 30-08-2009, 12:02   #5
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO View Post
I fear that the 22000s, while being more comfortable, will be 3-piece sets and unable to cater for the numbers.
Which is why we need them to start with 6 coach sets on some services from the outset. F**k the platform length issue, its only one or two stations on the line. announcements can be made in advance by driver and staff at station.

WE NEED 6 COACH SETS ON THE ROSSLARE LINE FOR THE NEW TIMETABLE. SIMPLE AS
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-08-2009, 15:21   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
F**k the platform length issue
This isn't a thing IÉ can dismiss out of hand; they would be committing an offence and liable to fines for running trains that extend off the platform.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-08-2009, 21:01   #7
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

I was just browsing through a box of old photos this evening and came across a pic of a typical Rosslare train about 1982 (6 bogies plus a pair of 121 locos) - 3 Cravens (192 seats, with large tables for every 4 seats), a side-corridor brake standard (50 seats) and a buffet car (40 or so seats - can't remember) and a generator van which also carried parcels, mail, bicycles and luggage. Total seating capacity almost 300 and this was the smallest train running to Rosslare. Despite the archaic carriage design, steam heating etc I can assure those of you not old enough to remember that it was a damn sight more pleasant experience than anything since the withdrawal of the MkIIs on the Rosslare line!

I should still think that the platform lengths thing is a load of crap that suits CIE/IE. What about the most dangerous platforms in the country - Cork and Connolly #5? Health & Safety appear to have no issues with these simply because there is no alternative to using them!!!
Unread 31-08-2009, 08:33   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

There's a world of a difference between a gap between the train and the platform and a person stepping off the carriage with no platform to land on.

Folks, can we please accept that a train which is longer than any platform on the line cannot run on the line unless there's a way of preventing people stepping off the train where there's no platform? This isn't something that can be fudged, it's not an "all right on the night", and the old announcements of "please move forward if you are in the last carriage" are no longer allowed. I don't want to have to lock the thread, but we're p***ing into the wind with this one.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote