Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-08-2014, 21:14   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Thurles and Templemore will be the worst hit by these strikes. In both towns Iarnród Éireann has a monopoly there are no alternatives/competition. NTA have done nothing about this and actually the cause of this.

When all the competition stopped serving the town the day saver fares were quietly phased out. When route 71 was withdrawn back in 2010 IÉ very quickly increased the price Thurles-Cork by 30% in 2011.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2014, 13:43   #2
Traincustomer

Hopefully some form of resolution will be reached though that looks highly unlikely at present.

History has a habit of repeating itself; this dispute should not be a key contributor to ultimate end products of another Kingscourt or three.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2014, 16:04   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

They have set up a surveymonkey form for Taxsaver refunds but will only accept applications after the 26th. Info is available here.

Personally, I will cancel travel plans on the Monday so will apply for a refund for that day. I was also planning on taking the train on Sunday as I am hiking the Royal Canal in sections but it might be taking the Mickey a bit to apply for a refund that day.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2014, 16:17   #4
Jamie2k9

Quote:
One of the reasons Irish Rail is in such as mess is the fact there is no such thing as redundancy in Irish Rail, its a nice big cheque, where anywhere else for a company which is basically a matter of days from insolvency statutory would be generous... Basically it costs too much to get rid of people.
Don't want to post to much detail but literally a 2 minute job if not less cost the company thousands in staffing costs for over a year very recently.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2014, 17:49   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Email went out to all taxsaver administrators this evening re refunds

It looks like they are going ahead with it, interesting to see how the revenue view this
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2014, 19:09   #6
James Howard

I don't understand how, aside from the scale, this is any different from the way in which Irish Rail have been refunding TaxSaver ticket holders in vouchers for delays.

Or will the strike refunds come as cash? That would be a departure from the norm.
Unread 19-08-2014, 22:51   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Sadly no cash, but a voucher which the booking office will pay cash for, so cash if you are willing to wait for a human to pay up

Revenue wise, if you are delayed then you get compensation which is different from a refund, unless this drags on the amounts involved as tiny so not worth chasing we hope
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-08-2014, 06:43   #8
James Howard

I'm so glad I never decided to become a lawyer - refund / compensation. Isn't it all money back because the service paid for wasn't provided?

Anyway, another option that would simplify matters would be to have an arrangement to donate the refund to charity. I do believe in extracting the money from Irish Rail as they aren't providing the service I paid for but at the same time I won't end being out of pocket as I can work from home once or twice a week and my employer understands that there is little point in having me turn up at the office after having spent three hours battling traffic to get into work.