Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-11-2006, 17:32   #121
Oisin88

I had my second experience of these wonderful machines last night. None out of three machines in Blackrock station would accept my ticket (didn't try the fourth)

Was this because:
1) I bought my ticket from the machine in Tara
2) The ticket was not validated on entry at Tara
3) CIE don't like me?

p.s. noises from Thomas the Tanked Up Engine or something coming out of them.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 14:36   #122
shweeney
Regular Poster

"Exit validation coming soon" signs are up in Connolly.

they also have a stall for people with faulty annual tickets to fill our a form for a replacement.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 14:45   #123
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

There were people fighting with all 4 machines in Blackrock today. Oddly my ticket worked, probably because it wasn't validated in Tara.

I am now 90% certain the machines do not retain used tickets.

The roll out / implementation of them has been a complete mess leaving customers confused.

IE, can you contact me? I have some projects I need managed and I would like to hire the same drunk 4 year old you used for this.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 15:41   #124
zag
Regular Poster

Default Something up yesterday ?

Yesterday morning (1000ish) all the machines at Blackrock & Clontarf Road were out of action. I presumed there was some sort of upgrade going on.

In terms of how to get out when the tickets don't swipe - I *strongly hope* that the barriers can be easily opened when there is a power failure or . . . say . . . fire which has knocked out the electrics. This would be especially usefull in Clontarf Road where they have a habit of blocking the fire exit with the sun-screen - you know the one that looks like a roll-down shutter.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 17:08   #125
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It the event of a power failure or the fire alarm activating the gates will open automatically
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 17:19   #126
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

What happens if you arrive sans ticket after getting on at somewhere like Broomebridge?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 18:21   #127
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mulcahy View Post
There were people fighting with all 4 machines in Blackrock today. Oddly my ticket worked, probably because it wasn't validated in Tara.
Was it machine generated or from the ticket office?
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 18:47   #128
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mulcahy View Post
There were people fighting with all 4 machines in Blackrock today.
Who won?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 18:51   #129
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney View Post
"Exit validation coming soon" signs are up in Connolly.

they also have a stall for people with faulty annual tickets to fill our a form for a replacement.
On the wall outside Connolly in the IFSC there is a pp application for upgrading works to the foyer in Connolly. Cant remember what but something about a mezzanine level above where the seats are and relocating the toilets.

They could relocate those toilets to hell and even that would be an iimprovement!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 19:39   #130
ccos

Quote:
I am now 90% certain the machines do not retain used tickets.
Who cares if they retain tickets or not? It does't affect the quality of the service, I've been on lots of different metro systems some retain tickets some don't, I even used to keep old ticket stubs as souveniers from different cities I'd visted.
I really think its a non issue, there certainly is more immediate problems that IE need to be made address, then the collection of old tickets.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 19:45   #131
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Exactly who cares once it opens the door to let you out

I posted more or less the same thing a while back http://forum.platform11.org/showpost...5&postcount=89

It has no impact on the performance or efficiency of the system, the ticket won't work again anyway

Tara Street isn't finished yet but the northbound side is ace its as good a implementation as you will find for exit validation
Unread 03-12-2006, 01:25   #132
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Who cares if they retain tickets or not? It does't affect the quality of the service, I've been on lots of different metro systems some retain tickets some don't, I even used to keep old ticket stubs as souveniers from different cities I'd visted.
I really think its a non issue, there certainly is more immediate problems that IE need to be made address, then the collection of old tickets.
Having to take your ticket slows you down, it is an inconvinience. IE do have bigger problems, this was remarkabley simple, just to make it easier for people but no, not in IE land. As was pointed out above, it will keep the stations cleaner too.

As for "The system works" have you ignored the posts about people not being able to get out through the machines? They don't even work well.

It was a machine bought ticket that I used that let me out.

I think the machines won the fight, people couldn't get out.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-12-2006, 01:24   #133
luasifer
Regular Poster

there is quite an amount of these barriers set up in Connolly now. last time I saw they were not in operation. It looks to be set up well. my only worry would be that there will be congestion as people will tend not to go over to the barriers at the toilet side as they are further away.

Perhaps a setup of 4 in, 4 out, 4 in, 4 out across the row of 16 barriers would work well
luasifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-12-2006, 01:33   #134
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Who cares if they retain tickets or not?
People who need them for expenses claims.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-12-2006, 23:39   #135
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by luasifer View Post
Perhaps a setup of 4 in, 4 out, 4 in, 4 out across the row of 16 barriers would work well
Generally speaking you need more "out" than "in" because people going "in" arrive in dribs and drabs, while people going "out" will arrive a trainload at a time.

In the morning rush, there would probably only be a need for about 2 "in" barriers, while lots of "out" barriers are a must.

In the evenings there should probably be more "in" barriers, but it probably still doesn't need to be as much as 50%.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-12-2006, 16:14   #136
Rushed2nowhere
New to the board

Passed through Connolly yesterday.Where do people waiting for a train sit down if there train isn't in the station yet?
Rushed2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 15:48   #137
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushed2nowhere View Post
Passed through Connolly yesterday.Where do people waiting for a train sit down if there train isn't in the station yet?
there's still some seats around the edge of the concourse - not many though.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 16:59   #138
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is now a separate area for Enterprise passengers on your right as you walk across the concourse
Unread 03-01-2007, 17:23   #139
MOH
Really Regular Poster

My new annual ticket (suckered for another year) is sporadically working. It worked OK on the bus home New Year's Eve (I think), failed to work in the old turnstiles in Killester on Tues morning, kept saying wrong way up although I tried every way.
Worked fine in the new machines in Blackrock Tuesday evening.

Arrived in Blackrock this afternoon, there was another guy repeatedly trying his ticket in different turnstiles, no joy. Mine didn't work either. We were both there trying to get the tickets to work for a couple of minutes while the guy in the ticket booth was standing staring into space. Presumably communicating with the mother ship. Eventually I shouted at him, and he pushed a button to let us out.

Not sure what kind of ticket the other guy had, but is there a problem with some combination of new/old turnstiles accepting new/old tickets?
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 19:56   #140
MrX
Really Regular Poster

For those who need to submit DART tickets as expense claims:
The ticket vending machines should be able to offer a printed receipt (on a ticket) (same as a carpark machine does)

Likewise, the ticket desks could easily issue a receipt
They have cash registers?

The machines absolutely should retain used tickets.

The volume of used DART single/return tickets around where we live is absolutely disgraceful. People just deposit them in front gardens, on the pavement, in drains etc..

IE do provide bins, but sadly some people are just incapable of using them.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote