Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Parnell Square Metro Stop
Yes 26 92.86%
No 2 7.14%
No opinion 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:50   #1
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default RPA ads for metro north station at Parnell square

The RPa have ads in about a station at parnell square in the free dublin daily papers.
will serve rotunda, gate theatre and nearby apartments and will add one minute to journey time.
Unread 03-11-2006, 11:52   #2
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Is it necessary? One minute is ok and it is best to get the stations in but I am not certain of the merits of it.
Unread 03-11-2006, 12:02   #3
markpb

Several other metro lines around the world pile stations in like there's no tomorrow, sometimes less than a 5 minute walk apart. As long as the trains have suitable acceleration and they don't hang around interminably at the stations like the Dart does, I'd be all for a station there.

If nothing else, it's seen a lot of development work lately, a lot of new apartment blocks and the DCC upgrade plan isn't too far off - it could certainly be a lot busier by the time the metro is built.
Unread 03-11-2006, 14:21   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Several other metro lines around the world pile stations in like there's no tomorrow, sometimes less than a 5 minute walk apart.
True, but to be honest that's a bit of a pain on the Paris Metro if you're heading for more than a few stops.
Unread 03-11-2006, 14:47   #5
Donal Quinn

so do people think that it's a good idea or not?

as one of the major bees in my bonnet is the lack of density in dublin city centre i'm in favour of cramming the city centre. if you are standing on the south-west side of parnell sq its a long way to either o'connell bridge or the mater stop

perhaps the moderator might like to open a poll on this matter
Unread 03-11-2006, 15:22   #6
Mark

I think its a runner. It will add more balance to O'Connell Street. Traffic disruption can be mitigated and it will open up Parnell Street and improve the depilated north end of OC street.

At least with this open and transparent route the RPA are taking itll be the public that decides more or less.
Unread 03-11-2006, 18:22   #7
TomB

Yes please.

Parnell Square offers a good site for a public transport hub (assuming Luas doesn't take all the space up) and that area of town has great potential.

One more for the northside!
Unread 03-11-2006, 18:32   #8
Oisin88

I think it is a great idea. Alot of buses finish up at Parnell square.

Funny though, it is the opposite to what Dublin Bus are doing. I think southbound the 7 stops at the Gresham (upper O'C st) and then not again until the bottom of Grafton St. Not very useful if you want to get the luas and then a 7.
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:42   #9
James Shields

I think it makes a lot of sense. Without it, there are a couple of closely spaced stations, then a fairly big gap, then a few more fairly closely spaced stations. Without Parnell Square there's a good chance trains will start to catch up on each other and have to slow down or stop anyway, so you might as well put in a station.

Best practice is to space the stations as evenly as possible along the line.
Unread 04-11-2006, 10:47   #10
alek smart

O88,I think you`ll find the 7`s have a stop outside the Ulster Bank just before O C Bridge also.
This means it stops at each end of O C St.
Unread 04-11-2006, 16:24   #11
luasifer
Regular Poster

I definitely think this station is sensible. It's useful to have a number of city centre stops. It would also promote more patronage in the city centre
Unread 04-11-2006, 16:52   #12
sean

reasonably sure it should be done but it depends.

If its a simple case of the station adding cost to the final project, then I'd say go for it. I think it makes sense to have lots of high quality stations in the city centre which is where most of the activity is going to be.

But if building the station meant that the RPA needed to cheap it out somewhere else, like Drumcondra or something, that wouldn't be such a good thing.
Unread 04-11-2006, 17:15   #13
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
reasonably sure it should be done but it depends.

If its a simple case of the station adding cost to the final project, then I'd say go for it. I think it makes sense to have lots of high quality stations in the city centre which is where most of the activity is going to be.

But if building the station meant that the RPA needed to cheap it out somewhere else, like Drumcondra or something, that wouldn't be such a good thing.
Pretty much my sentiments exacty. I'd like to see this part of the city served and not neglected (as has been the case for about 150 years!)
Unread 05-11-2006, 14:04   #14
Urban_Form
New to the board

I think if the Parnell Sq station was not built the users of the Metro would pay for it subsequently with excessive congestion at the O'Connell Bridge station.
Unread 05-11-2006, 17:18   #15
sean

you're probably right.
Unread 05-11-2006, 19:29   #16
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek smart View Post
O88,I think you`ll find the 7`s have a stop outside the Ulster Bank just before O C Bridge also.
This means it stops at each end of O C St.
It must be very well camouflaged!
Is there a 10 stop anywhere near luas?
Closed Thread