Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-03-2010, 23:50   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Meet the Managers, Heuston Station, Dublin - 30 March 2010

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=564
Quote:
General News

Meet the Managers, Heuston Station, Dublin - 30th March 2010 by Corporate Communications

Meet the Managers, Heuston Station, Dublin

Tuesday 30th March, 16.00hrs to 18.00hrs

Ciaran Masterson, Regional Manager, along with his management team will be available on the Heuston Station concourse on the above date, to meet with you, our customers and to discuss issues of concern and interest to you.
http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=682
Quote:
Meet the Managers at Connolly Station and Heuston Station, Tue 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm to by Corporate Communications

Meet the Managers at Connolly Station and Heuston Station, Tuesday 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm to 6.00pm

Over the coming months the Iarnród Éireann management team will be continuing its programme of face to face meetings with customers.

The next of these meetings will take place at Connolly Station and Heuston Station on Tuesday 30th March 2010.

Members of the management team will be available to meet customers on the afternoon of Tuesday 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm and 6.00pm at Connolly Station and Heuston Station Concourses.

Customers are invited to come along and discuss issues of interest or concern to them.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 26-03-2010 at 00:24.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2010, 12:58   #2
finnyus

Question

Does anyone know if there is something similar happening @ Cork Kent Station today ? I half-heard something on the local radio station on the 11am news this morning about a public discussion with IE @ Kent station about bus/rail integration for the Cork area and the future of IE in Cork.

If anyone knows details, can they post them pls?

Thanks
F.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2010, 13:09   #3
finnyus

Exclamation Meet the Manager's session today @ Kent Station Cork

Just heard it now on 96FM's lunchtime news.

There is a Meet the Manager's session today (24.03.2010) @ Kent Station Cork between 4pm - 6pm. Was there any notice of this on irishrail.ie?

Finbarr.
Unread 24-03-2010, 13:12   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Of course its not on the website.

God forbid that passengers have notice of a chance to discuss. Of course no mention yet of the Cobh/Midelton shutdown over Easter either.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2010, 14:02   #5
finnyus

Has anyone gone to one of these sessions? Any details would be great.

Big questions: Is it worth going? or is it just a PR exercise and any issues raised will be just ignored?

My three points are:
  • Sunday morning Midleton timetable:
    • 08:45 Midleton - Cork & 10:45 Midleton - Cork requires ~1.25 hrs wait to catch the next Dublin/Tralee train. I only realised this a few weeks ago when I had to wait at Kent Station for the 10:30 to Dublin, off the 08:45 Midleton - Cork. Are there any plans to align the early Sunday morning trains from Midleton to connect with the early Sunday morning Dublin-bound trains?
  • Lack of timetables at East Cork stations (outside of Midleton & Carrigtwohill):
    • I recently ventured to Fota Wildlife Park by train. Unfortunately the East Cork timetable that I keep in my wallet was misplaced. There is no timetable @ Fota station which meant we did not know what time the next train back to Cork was.
  • Car park charges:
    • I know its now across most Irish Rail stations, but an inspection of car parks at East Cork stations, especially at Midleton and Carrigtwohill must show that the charges are deterring car customers onto the trains? A good lot of cars, park outside the stations grounds. Carrigtwohill has a maximum of about 5-10 cars parked there during the day.

F.
Unread 24-03-2010, 14:11   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

TVM's on the Cobh line
Lack of information at stations as per article 9(5) of EC 1371/2007
No notice of the shutdown over Easter
Get the destinations right on the front of the trains

I've reports that the car park at Glounthane and Little Island emptied the day the charges appeared.

To be fair the passenger numbers in Midleton are good, and walking distance to the town centre may reduce the park and ride
Unread 24-03-2010, 14:16   #7
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
TVM's on the Cobh line
Lack of information at stations as per article 9(5) of EC 1371/2007
No notice of the shutdown over Easter
Get the destinations right on the front of the trains

I've reports that the car park at Glounthane and Little Island emptied the day the charges appeared.

To be fair the passenger numbers in Midleton are good, and walking distance to the town centre may reduce the park and ride
Glounthaune emptied onto the roads outside the station. I don't know about Little Island.
Unread 24-03-2010, 14:19   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I think there is a council car park next door where everyone has moved to.
Unread 24-03-2010, 14:24   #9
finnyus

If I can I will get over to see what is happening there. I have this vision of these people dressed in suits, flanked by bodyguards.
Unread 24-03-2010, 15:43   #10
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
I know its now across most Irish Rail stations, but an inspection of car parks at East Cork stations, especially at Midleton and Carrigtwohill must show that the charges are deterring car customers onto the trains? A good lot of cars, park outside the stations grounds. Carrigtwohill has a maximum of about 5-10 cars parked there during the day.
I've only used the Midleton service on a Saturday so far, but one of my first reactions was that it could only be a matter of time before local residents were up in arms about the parking situation.

I hate to think what it looks like on a weekday.

A paid car park surrounded by free on street car-parking. It was pretty obvious what would happen.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2010, 18:44   #11
Oisin88

Does anyone know if these "meet the manager" sessions are something that they have to do for the customer charter/ public subvention, or a genuine attempt to consult with the public? Do they listen to people or just chant platitudes?
Unread 24-03-2010, 19:32   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its a UK originating thing that came from the era of UK manager who has now returned to the UK.

On a well run railway it has a place, but when the flaws are so obvious why waste the time on standing around why not actually work on solving the problems.
Unread 25-03-2010, 15:39   #13
finnyus

Default Why did I bother?

I turned up yesterday at Cork, spoke to a very nice IE woman. Said what I had to say, but all I got was, "We are aware of that." The had some lovely colour brochures about IE & Transport 21 and all the timetables laid out on the table.

Didn't really get much information, except for the closure of the "Cobh road" to "electrify all the signals" and remodel Cobh Junction at the start of April, which they will give notice of soon enough... not good enough like.

The lack of timetables @ stations on the Cork/Cobh line is an issue that IE are trying to resolve...something to do with the wrong type of weather-proof places to display the timetables at the stations (on going saga - Carrigtwohill & Midleton have poster timetables now, yet soaked from the rain, but still readable).

Had laugh at this one: When I asked about the Sunday timetable that the first 2 trains do not meet the 08:30 & 10:30 Cork - Dublin trains I got the biggest bull$hit answer I ever heard. Apparently, when the Midleton/Cobh timetable was devised, it catered only for carrying passengers from Dublin - Cork trains, so you cannot have it going both ways for those trains, i.e. catering the Cork - Dublin trains on a Sunday morning as well. Confused? I am fairly sure I looked like this yesterday...

Well I told her that made no sense, and what was the patronage like on the Sunday morning services, to which I got the impression she didn't know. The fact is, there is a long wait, whether you are arriving from Dublin or going to Dublin on a Sunday morning at Cork (and you want to use an East Cork service).

F.
Unread 25-03-2010, 16:02   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its classic Irish Rail, I got the same treatment once.

Where is the bike rack..... It doesn't have one... Yet of course it did http://www.railusers.ie/news/news.ph...2008&no=5.html

There is a very simple solution to the wet posters, you laminate them first and then place them inside the poster display, not perfect but means they will last a lot longer.

The Sunday morning story is bull, as the first train from Dublin doesn't get in for hours
Unread 26-03-2010, 00:24   #15
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Additional notice. Also at Connolly.

Quote:
Meet the Managers at Connolly Station and Heuston Station, Tue 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm to by Corporate Communications

Meet the Managers at Connolly Station and Heuston Station, Tuesday 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm to 6.00pm

Over the coming months the Iarnród Éireann management team will be continuing its programme of face to face meetings with customers.

The next of these meetings will take place at Connolly Station and Heuston Station on Tuesday 30th March 2010.

Members of the management team will be available to meet customers on the afternoon of Tuesday 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm and 6.00pm at Connolly Station and Heuston Station Concourses.

Customers are invited to come along and discuss issues of interest or concern to them.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 26-03-2010 at 00:35.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 07:44   #16
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The Sunday morning story is bull, as the first train from Dublin doesn't get in for hours
...yep, that's what I said, and I added that it was not a Dublin - Cork train either, it was a connection from Mallow at around 11:30 into Cork.

Honestly felt that it was a waste of time.
Unread 30-03-2010, 03:39   #17
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Connolly rescheduled

Quote:
Update: 29th Mar: Meet the Managers at Heuston Station on Tuesday 30th March 2010 and at Connolly S by Corporate Communications

The next of these meetings will take place at Heuston Station on Tuesday 30th March 2010 followed by a meeting at Connolly Station on Thursday 15th April 2010.

Members of the management team will be available to meet customers on the afternoon of Tuesday 30th March 2010 between 4.00pm and 6.00pm at Heuston Station Concourse and on Thursday 15th April 2010 between 4.00pm and 6.00pm at Connolly Station Concourses.