Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-09-2013, 14:22   #1
Mayo Traveller
New to the board

Default Liverpool to Claremorris

Hi everyone,
In October I will. E travelling from Liverpool to Claremorris in Co Mayo.

I am going to be with my 3 grand children.

I have heard that the sail/rail option is a good and cheap way to get from the up to Ireland.

I have looked and. I cannot make any sense of the time tables lol my fault I know.

Do I have a choice of ferry, Irish or Senna?

Do the children need passports?

I don't drive , I can get a bus to Liverpool Lime Street and I can be picked up at claremorris .

Can someone help me make a bit of sense of the sail/rail timetable please

Many thanks 👍👍👍🍀🍀🍀
Mayo Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 18:03   #2
Traincustomer

It's possible to travel either with Irish Ferries or Stena Line from Holyhead to Dublin.

In case it's of help it's possible for the sailrail ticket to commence from any local station too eg Aigburth/Kirkdale/Crosby/Hunts Cross.

Normal route would be a Merseyrail train to Chester and catch a Holyhead train there.

Birth cert should be fine as id, a family member travelled with me at short notice just over a year ago and hadn't passport up to date. Birth cert was accepted without any problem at the check at Holyhead.

Perhaps the 13.50 hrs Stena Line ferry from Holyhead arriving Dublin 1705. A bus will bring you from the ferry terminal door to Heuston Station in good time for the 18.15 train. Arrive in Claremorris at 20.39.

Www.nationalrail.co.uk will show train times from Lime Street/Local station to Holyhead. Will try and post suggested times later. Hope this info is of some help. Plenty on the ship to keep the kids amused. Train journey along the coast from Chester to Holyhead is scenic, Conwy Castle, Puffin Island, Menai straits
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 19:23   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Does OP need a letter to travel with the grandkids? Maybe it's taken a bit more seriously on this side of the pond.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:11   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Is such a trip a bit adruous, depending on the ages of the children?
Unread 02-09-2013, 16:35   #5
Traincustomer

In my view the following are the best outward options (these times are for during the week):

(1) Depart Lime Street (Lower Level) at 10.13 (Merseyrail to Chester and change there onto Holyhead train)
13.50 Stena Line ferry from Holyhead to Dublin arr. 1705.
A bus will bring you from the ferry terminal door to Heuston Station.
18.15 Westport train departs Heuston. Arrive in Claremorris at 20.39.

(2) Depart Lime Street (Lower Level) at 07.55 (Merseyrail to Chester and change there onto Holyhead train)
11.50 Irish Ferries fast ferry from Holyhead arrive Dublin 13.39
Bus to Heuston.
14.45 train from Heuston to Claremorris. Arrive 17.14.

Best return options:
(1) Dep Claremorris 10.20, arriving Heuston 13.05

14.30 Irish Ferries fast ferry, arriving Holyhead 16.30.
(unfortunately the connecting bus departs Heuston at 13.00 and a taxi costs about €15. Might be possible to make the bus if the train arrives in a few minutes early. Sit in front carriage if possible to be nearest the exit at Heuston)

Trains depart Holyhead at 16.50 and 17.30.
Change at Chester.
Arrive in Lime Street at 19.43 or 20.13.

(2) Dep Claremorris 10.20, arriving Heuston 13.05
Taxi to port.
15.10 Stena Line ferry from Dublin, arriving Holyhead 18.40
Train departs Holyhead 19.21. Change at Chester and arrive Lime Street 22.13

Booking the ticket:
Online at Arriva Trains Wales. Has a section with lots of useful information too.

In person at staffed railway stations e.g. travel centre at Lime Street (the one in the main station) and local Merseyrail stations.

Children under 5 go free. 5-15 inclusive are charged half the adult fare. Return fare double the single fare.

No obligation to travel both ways with the same ferry operator. If wishing to travel out and back with different ferry operators just buy a Liverpool to Claremorris single over there and buy a single here for the return journey. Claremorris station sells the tickets.
Buy a few days ahead.

Other information:
The bus fare from Dublin Port to Heuston station is not included in the SailRail ticket. Fare payable to driver.

Rail station and ferry terminal are side by side at Holyhead. There's toilets and a combined WH Smith-café too.

All the information may seem a bit daunting but it's straighforward enough and there'll be staff around at the various stations/ at terminal/ onboard ship to answer any questions about the journey.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 02-09-2013 at 17:12. Reason: clarity of a point
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 19:32   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It is not a journey for the faint hearted

Would advise avoiding the fast ferry is possible as it is pretty ugly on board, and even in reasonable conditions shakes quite badly, and the fast ferry will be cancelled the second the weather turns any way poor.

The 'slow' ships will travel in just about any weather and offer a better standard of comfort

If possible book the entire trip in one go from the UK, simpler, less trouble and also due to the way UK rail system works with Irish Ferries and Stena line the ticket ensures a space on the ship
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 19:33   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Does OP need a letter to travel with the grandkids? Maybe it's taken a bit more seriously on this side of the pond.
It would be required if travelling to the UK from outside the Common Travel Area, but there is no passport control going from
Ireland to Wales and the gardaí won't care on the way over.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 19:37   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is some fairly random security checks on the Welsh side for departing passengers so be ready with some paperwork at least. Once you have something there is rarely a problem

I have seen police refuse boarding to people in Fishguard at 2am due out of date ID
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 20:52   #9
Mayo Traveller
New to the board

Default Thank You

Hi everyone,
Thank you all so much for all the great information and advise.

I was totally clueless before I found this place.

Two of my grandchildren have passports so I will have them with me, the little fella doesn't have a passport so I will have his birth certificate with me.

I thought about getting the fast ferry but after reading some of the comments have decided on the slower one, I remember the fast ferry being cancelled in September once because of high winds and we are travelling in October.

Hopefully it will all go like clockwork........... Ok I jest hahaha

Thanks again xxx
Mayo Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2013, 07:34   #10
yanchaochu
New to the board

Normal route would be a Merseyrail train to Chester and catch a Holyhead train there.