Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Mayo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-07-2007, 13:10   #1
markpb

Default Power socket?

Can anyone tell me what seats (if any) are near a power socket so I can use my laptop on the train to Ballina tomorrow morning?

I know someone asked before but I've searched high and low and can't find the post.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-07-2007, 13:28   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is easy enough

1. If there is a first class coach, sit in it under the table you will find a socket. There are no timetabled services with first on the Mayo line thus its not a first class coach its no class at all

2. Failing that bring an extension lead and sit near the luggage rack, socket to be found there

3. On the Manualla Ballina bit the railcar should have a socket next to the cab door

4. Though not on Saturday on the Fridays only to Ballina the old Mk2d's have a strange looking socket info from the field indicates its good juice if you have a modern enough power supply its AC alright but voltage no one knows though it should be 230V

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-07-2007 at 13:30.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-07-2007, 13:32   #3
markpb

Ah... oh well.

Maybe I'll go with the extension cable idea. I might wander over and and ask the folks in the Level Crossing Removal thread for some ideas

Cheers anyway.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-07-2007, 13:36   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Nah you want the MIT resonant wireless power transfer thingy

Or get a second battery

Biggest hint is to kill the backlight on the screen totally by turning the brightness to zero, still usable saves a heap on the batteries
Unread 14-07-2007, 00:45   #5
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

well, don't rely on those steorn boyo's.....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2007, 11:49   #6
ccos

Hamster, treadmill, dynamo......................
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2007, 14:11   #7
MrX
Really Regular Poster

That strange looking socket's just an old-style British round pin 5amp socket. Just be careful as it's not necessarily 'smooth' juice. It's coming from a generator that could be pretty ancient, so I would advice if you do use it, make sure that you have a surge protector connected in-line.

You can buy those plugs in most hardware shops as they're still used for special lighting circuits i.e. where you've a light switch controlling lamps in a room. They're wired pretty much the same way as a modern Irish/UK plug, but do not contain a fuse. You could simply swap the modern plug on your extension lead for one of those and use a power strip with surge protection.

You could get 220V, you could get some other voltage too. Although, 220V seems quite likely. If you're prepared to take that chance, fair enough hehe. Just don't try holding IE, or anyone else responsible if your laptop charger gets fried.

Irish rail might not be too happy with you using it though as it's not necessarily protected by an RCD (to prevent electric shocks). These are provided on the modern trains and have been required on all sockets (in homes, offices etc) since the early 1980s.

I would trust the power on the new trains trains to be smooth and safe as it's coming from one of a pair of brand new, modern generators that are designed for the job and built during an era when people do connect sensitive electronic equipment to sockets. The older gear only had to power lighting, heating and ventilation so it could be pretty 'rough and ready'. I wouldn't be very comfortable connecting sensitive equipment directly to it!

You can get a power strip with a built-in surge protector, or you can even get in-line versions that plug into your laptop power adaptor.

The other (safer) option (pricy as it might be) is to buy a second laptop battery. Just charge both before you go and keep it in your bag.

It's certainly less bulky than carrying around a big load of extension leads and 1950s-style plugs!

Last edited by MrX : 17-07-2007 at 14:20.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2007, 14:45   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Most laptop supplies will work over a wide spread of power sources most are quite tolerant of the voltage and frequency. The principle issue on train is the frequency which is not a issue to a power supply unless it drops seriously, the coach lights would go nuts if that happened

The Mk2d is for the more adventurous in search of some juice

That said the worst source of juice is the refubished DART coaches, the secondary power system on them has always been weak