Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-03-2009, 00:08   #1
brianw82
New to the board

Default Tickets to Drogheda

Hi there,

I decided to get a day return from Clontarf Rd to Drogheda a few weeks ago, but was told that I could only get a 5-day return ticket for 22 euro. I got a day return ticket to Drogheda from Castleknock last year for around 14 euro, but didn't have time to argue with the guy.

Can anyone tell me if I should have been able to get a (cheaper) day return ticket? 22 euro for such a short distance seems really expensive. I can't really believe that this type of ticket wasn't available.
brianw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-03-2009, 08:53   #2
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

info in there for 2008 might help give a rough idea

http://www.railusers.ie/reports/2008/ie_fare_calc.pdf
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-03-2009, 09:24   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Dublin Drogheda there are no discounted day return fares, but there are in the Drogheda Dublin direction, fares look about right for that to explain the
situation

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...ation_to=DGHDA

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...ation_to=CNLLY
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-03-2009, 11:16   #4
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

And the staff ticket machine will allow the discounted day return to be issued in the "wrong" direction; staff just aren't meant to give them out. That's probably what happened at Castleknock.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 14:20   #5
Coolmine99
New to the board

Location: In the disputed area of Castleknock / Carpenterstown
Default Drogheda

Hi all, old member. After being made redundant in April, I managed to get another job, and moved to the "dark side" - cycling to work. So I make up my own timetable now!

Anyway, new job is only a 6 month contract - Going for a job interview in Drogheda for a permanent position and wondering what the cost of a monthly ticket is? Saw a weekly return above is €22, so should I budget that? Or is anyone availing of a tax saver that they can let me know what I should be budgeting for? Thanks

Coolmine99
Coolmine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 14:30   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Dublin to Drogheda is €1930 / €193. If starting from Coolmine it could be €2210 / €221 due the extra distance

Point to point tickets are available between any two stations, just ask for a quote. The crew in the taxsaver office are a lot better than the normal face of Irish Rail

If you want to get to Drogheda cheap in December, buy a day return to Newry at Connolly, currently €10. Its legal to break your journey at Drogheda as its an intercity ticket
Unread 08-12-2009, 14:33   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

A 5-day return is a ticket valid for one journey out on the day of purchase and one journey back within five days, not unlimited journeys for five days.

A weekly season ticket (allowing unlimited journeys from Sunday to the following Saturday) from Connolly to Drogheda is approximately €52. For a calendar month, it's €193. I'm not sure if starting from Coolmine will push you into the next fare bracket (which is €67/€244), but if it does you'll be better off getting a short hop ticket and a Balbriggan-Drogheda season ticket.

Annual tickets cost ten times the price of one-month tickets.

Last edited by Thomas Ralph : 08-12-2009 at 14:35. Reason: year
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 14:51   #8
Coolmine99
New to the board

Location: In the disputed area of Castleknock / Carpenterstown

Guys, efficient as ever. Thanks a million for the quick replies. I lost the will to live on the IR website!
Coolmine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 15:07   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

www.taxsaver.ie should be able to explain all. I spotted several typos and omissions and they did get fixed promptly

They don't list Coolmine but will be able to quote and issue that ticket if required

Just remember the tax saving.