Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information > Concerts and Sport Specials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-08-2013, 15:07   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [11-25/08/2013] All-Ireland Semi Finals

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4767
Quote:
Support Your County In Their Quest For All-Ireland Glory

We are coming to the business end of the Football and Hurling All-Ireland Championships with some mouth watering ties to be contested over the next few weekends, don't miss a moment of the action and Book Above Now to secure your seat!

All-Ireland Hurling Semi Finals
All-Ireland Football Semi Final
Additional Services

Sunday 11th August - Hurling Semi Final

Cork Vs Dublin, Throw-In 15:30hrs

Additional Services

07:10hrs Tralee - Dublin - Heuston
08:00hrs Cork - Dublin - Heuston
08:40hrs Cork - Dublin - Heuston
19:20hrs Dublin Heuston - Cork
Book above through the journey planner

Sunday 18th August - Hurling Semi Final

Clare Vs Limerick. Throw-In 15:30hrs

Additional Services

Ennis Depart 09:00: Returning 20:00
Limerick Depart 09:15: Returning 19:45
Charleville & Limerick Junction Depart 08:40: Returning 19:20
Trains go onsale asap

Sunday 25th August - Football Semi Finals

Mayo Vs Tyrone, Throw-In TBC

Sunday 1t September - Football Semi Finals

Dublin Vs Kerry, Throw-In TBC

Supporters in Dublin travelling to the games can avail of our 1 day family rail ticket for just €15! A family of 1 or 2 adults and up to 4 children can get unlimited travel by DART or Suburban rail for a day.

If you are staying overnight why not book a hotel with IrishRailBreaks with room rates that start from as little as €39 per night per person sharing.

If you are a GAA fan then Croke Park is definitely the place to be over the next few weekends!
Unread 07-08-2013, 16:24   #2
haddockman
Regular Poster

So no specials via the PPT.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 23:51   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

they should send Ennis special via Athenry to give the rare sight of a crowded service
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 15:00   #4
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

I agree with 'dowlingm' except travelling via Athenry might result in they being late for the kick off
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 15:07   #5
Jamie2k9

Quote:
they should send Ennis special via Athenry to give the rare sight of a crowded service
These services are run for commercial reasons only and not to satisfy people in the West. IE are getting 50 euro per passenger by going via Cork line and there is not a hope people would pay this to travel on the WRC to give people a show of a busy service.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:21   #6
dowlingm

taking life a little seriously there Jamie - 'twas said in jest.

That said the Galway line is 100mph in spots now so I'm not sure the timing issue would be quite so acute as it might have been previously. If I was looking to take the michael altogether I would have suggested a lawnmower down the Moate line to facilitate the Claremen going through the "back door" - arf arf
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:19   #7
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Actually lads Ennis to Dublin via Athenry is shorter and potentially faster than Ennis to Dublin (via Limerick).

The speed Limit between Ennis and Athenry is 80 mph, Ennis to Limerick is 50 mph, Limerick/ Limerick Junction is 70 mph. Main advantage of running via Limeick is the additional 65 miles approx of double track between Portarlington and Limerick Junction and the somewhat greater proportion of90/100 mph track between Limerick Junction and Portarlington compared to Athenry/Portarlington.

Instead of a 0900 from Ennis (via Limerick) due Heuston 1145 as currently scheduled, this train could instead operate ss follows

0915 from Ennis, Gort 0938, Athenry 1003, Athlone 1035, Heuston 1150.

Running via Athenry would involve re-timing the 0830 from Galway to 0850 - a better option than cancelling the 0900 Limerick to Galway between Limerick and Ennis as is planned for August 18th.

Still Irish Rail and the knowledgeable posters above know better !

Last edited by Inniskeen : 09-08-2013 at 07:24.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:05   #8
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I suspect the best route is down to paasenger convenience rather than speed.

Plenty of Clare fans will pick up the train in Limerick and while Sixmilebridge isn't exactly a metropolis, it will also serve Shannon town and Newmarket-on-Fergus.

On the other hand, if you go the other way, Gort is only convenient to some comparatively sparsely populated areas of North Clare.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 13:40   #9
dowlingm

Inniskeen - I never noticed the Ennis-Athenry line speed upgrade in the 2014 Network Statement. I guess the magic pencils have made an appearance here too

Comcor - if the train started from Limerick (possible/likely) then first stop Sixmilebridge would be possible continuing around through Ennis. I understand some 22Ks do a circle path anticlockwise at present (Dublin-Galway-Limerick-Dublin)
Unread 09-08-2013, 15:20   #10
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Actually lads Ennis to Dublin via Athenry is shorter and potentially faster than Ennis to Dublin (via Limerick).

The speed Limit between Ennis and Athenry is 80 mph, Ennis to Limerick is 50 mph, Limerick/ Limerick Junction is 70 mph. Main advantage of running via Limeick is the additional 65 miles approx of double track between Portarlington and Limerick Junction and the somewhat greater proportion of90/100 mph track between Limerick Junction and Portarlington compared to Athenry/Portarlington.

Instead of a 0900 from Ennis (via Limerick) due Heuston 1145 as currently scheduled, this train could instead operate ss follows

0915 from Ennis, Gort 0938, Athenry 1003, Athlone 1035, Heuston 1150.

Running via Athenry would involve re-timing the 0830 from Galway to 0850 - a better option than cancelling the 0900 Limerick to Galway between Limerick and Ennis as is planned for August 18th.

Still Irish Rail and the knowledgeable posters above know better !
The WRC limit is 65 or 70 at the highest, mostly goes at 45-50mph and if it had a limit of 80mph then nobody would be complaining how slow it is. Not one part has speed of 80mph.

A little surprised at 70 on Limerick to the Junction would of expected 80mph.
Unread 09-08-2013, 15:55   #11
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I suspect the best route is down to paasenger convenience rather than speed.

Plenty of Clare fans will pick up the train in Limerick and while Sixmilebridge isn't exactly a metropolis, it will also serve Shannon town and Newmarket-on-Fergus.

On the other hand, if you go the other way, Gort is only convenient to some comparatively sparsely populated areas of North Clare.
There is a separate Limerick special, also the Emmis special is not scheuled to stop at Sixmilebridge.

Jamie, as for the maximum speed limit between Ennis and Athenry it is definitely 80 mph.

Last edited by Inniskeen : 09-08-2013 at 16:34.
Unread 09-08-2013, 16:49   #12
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Jamie, as for the maximum speed limit between Ennis and Athenry it is definitely 80 mph.
Not according to IE network statement for next year and if it is 80 I expect very few sections have 80moph running. When I was on the route I never reached 80mph.
Unread 09-08-2013, 17:00   #13
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Jamie, I have often travelled on the Cork line and barely hit 90 mph, but the speed limit is 100 mph. I wouldn't get overly excited about the IR network statement nor would I rely on it as the definitive source of information.

If you don't believe me go for a trip from Athenry to Ennis, sit on the left hand side and observe the speed boards. A significant portion of the libe is placarded for 80 mph.
Unread 09-08-2013, 17:13   #14
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Jamie, I have often travelled on the Cork line and barely hit 90 mph, but the speed limit is 100 mph. I wouldn't get overly excited about the IR network statement nor would I rely on it as the definitive source of information.

If you don't believe me go for a trip from Athenry to Ennis, sit on the left hand side and observe the speed boards. A significant portion of the libe is placarded for 80 mph.
A lot of the Cork route is largely 90 not 100, Limerick J-Thurles and Charville and the Quad track near Dublin are Dublin side of Portlaoise. Everywhere else is more less 90 and not the 100 that many people believe.

One odd bit of speed signage on the route is once the Cork trains for Dublin leave Limerick J there is 100mph sign but when the direct Limerick track meets the line it 90. With signs are meters apart. So its either Cork can go 100 but ICR's from Limerick can't or someone forgot to take one of the signs down.

If the WRC is 80 then are these speeds being achieved as if they are then why is it taking so long?

Oh and BTW I think I will pass on traveling along the route again, twice was enough.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 09-08-2013 at 17:25.
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:29   #15
dowlingm

Well for one thing it's probably timetabled for a 2800 plus it's a single track line so waits for clear track more common. 2800s can't do more than 70 or 75 I think?