Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-08-2006, 17:15   #1
constellation
Regular Poster

Default Information on on-platform displays.

I noticed that Mark Gleeson has a sticky thread in another forum regarding Broken Lifts / Accessibility.

http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=1111

Seeing it reminded me of a nit pick that I have regarding the on platform displays (y'know, the bright red LED thingies - I'm sure there is a correct technical name, forgive my ignorance).

Before I begin the nitpick, I wish to state that I absolutely agree that accessibility issues are very important and they should be made clear. As an aside, I don't see any issue of accessibility issues on IE site - under General News section might be a good place for them to put it.

However, I am of the opinion that IE are mixing up long-term information (broken lifts) with short-term information (when is the next train) by displaying both on the on-platform LED displays. Ideally, long term notices such as accessibility should be on posters around the location so that they cannot be missed by those that need it whereas the LED displays could be missed by those in a hurry or distracted.

A related gripe, if you ever pass through Connolly from platforms 6/7 to the main station you may have noticed people milling around the top of the stairs on platform 5. Nice to have the displays (do you remember the auld days waiting for the signal to go amber?) but positioning of and information on them needs to be reconsidered.
constellation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2006, 09:22   #2
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I think the thing with the lifts is that they may be out of order for only a short time like the rest of the day until otis come to press the go button again or something like that. I've wondered about this but you rarely see the same lift out of action for two or more days at a time, which would lead me to this conclusion. maybe others know for sure.

On the other hand, there has been a notice about donabate station not having wheelchair access until further notice. which it didn't really have anyway, you would have had to go out of the carpark, across the road bridge and into the other carpark. I can't see how that would be blocked unless the road bridge was closed.

I think the connolly displays are in the wrong place alright, or maybe there's not enough of them. a display on P4 would be an idea too, for transfers from Dart.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2006, 15:45   #3
constellation
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd
I think the connolly displays are in the wrong place alright, or maybe there's not enough of them. a display on P4 would be an idea too, for transfers from Dart.
That reminds me. The view of the displays are obstructed on P6&7 of Connolly station by the Exit signs.

Anyway, no matter. Bigger battles to be fought.
constellation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2006, 16:07   #4
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation
That reminds me. The view of the displays are obstructed on P6&7 of Connolly station by the Exit signs.

Anyway, no matter. Bigger battles to be fought.
Well not really. It's a simple thing to fix, and shouldn't have been done in the 1st place.

There's a similar thing going on in Seapoint, I know Marko has pics up somewhere. You used to be able to see the Northbound info display from the top of the stairs that lead down to the platform, now there's a big exit sign in the way. And as well as that you have to be within about 20 metres of the display to actually see what's on it !! I'll dig up those pics because they tell the story better than I could!!

EDIT - Here ya go

Last edited by bigjim : 15-08-2006 at 16:09.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2006, 18:46   #5
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Yeah, there seems little difference in the disabled access for Donabate than was there previously. I would hate to think the disabled people who had used the station effectively would be put off by the signs.

And on the topic of Donabate, the electronic displays are fairly useless. They are visible from about 15% of the platform. Once you go beyond the pedestrian bridge, it obscures the view of the display. They should be beyond the bridge and they'd then be visible to everyone.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-08-2006, 14:35   #6
MV_001
New to the board

At Glenageary Platform 1 (Northbound...), IE put up ridiculously oversized exit signs which block out the Platform Information display unless you stand within a few yards of it...

Muppets.
MV_001 is offline   Reply With Quote