Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-10-2007, 08:38   #1
Unshelved
New to the board

Default 7.18 Drogheda to Bray - late again

This train has been 10-15 minutes late every day for the last two weeks. No explainations from IR Staff but it's really starting to annoy me.

Anyone know what's going on?
Unshelved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2007, 08:44   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It was a little over 10 minutes late this morning

Question is where does it lose time, at which point does it go from being ontime to being late? If we knew that it would be easier figure it out
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2007, 19:24   #3
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Yeh, I was delayed by this service again this morning. It arrived into Skerries 5-10 mins late, and of course having missed it's slot between Howth Junction + Connolly crawled along. By the time it left Connolly, the following 08.28 arrival from Dundalk was arriving in. Total delay = 13-14 mins.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 08:11   #4
Unshelved
New to the board

Twelve minutes late getting into Pearse again today. It was on time from Skerries and there didn't seem to be any major delays with people boarding at other stations - I don't know what's causing it.

Needless to say there were no announcements/explainations from IR either.

Incidentally the 18.15 from Pearse to Drogheda was a short train again yesterday. An announcement and an apology were made but no explaination was offered.
Unread 17-10-2007, 08:22   #5
ThomasJ

Default [16-10-2007] 18:15 pearse drogheda

Was it? I heard that announcement as well but the inbound train was eight carriages long and i thought not sure that the 18.15 was eight carriages long. Might be wrong but it looked like it was
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 08:29   #6
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Was it? I heard that announcement as well but the inbound train was eight carriages long and i thought not sure that the 18.15 was eight carriages long. Might be wrong but it looked like it was
It was short, I was waiting for my train and the front of the Drog train was not full but the last two carriages were jammed as it went by.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 08:55   #7
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
It was short, I was waiting for my train and the front of the Drog train was not full but the last two carriages were jammed as it went by.
I think i might need my eyes tested again!!

The reason why i thought that was because I was standing on platform 1 at tara street. Just as the announcement was made the 2600 set arrived from drogheda (this was at around 18.15). When i heard the announcement i looked across and it was definately an eight car it took up the whole platform.

They must have been decoupled at Pearse.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 09:28   #8
Terrontress
Regular Poster

The 7.16 ex Dundalk was delayed by a similar amount of time this morning.

There was no announcement aboard untill we got to Pearse when they said that the train will terminate at Dun Laoghaire instead of Bray due to the delay.

It was maybe 5 minutes late leaving Donabate. I am not sure where it picked up the additional ten minutes, other than crawling into Connolly, but do they not timetable it to allow it to pick up speed?

On top of this, the train was crowded to the brim.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 12:09   #9
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Default 7:18 Drogheda - Bray

Perhaps the train is getting stuck behind DARTS on the way to connolly?
Train was really packed. Did anyone hear announcements for stations along the way? All I heard was announcement for skerries, and then the usual 'stand clear of doors' and then connolly, tara and pearse announcements.
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 12:17   #10
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggachuggachoochoo View Post
Perhaps the train is getting stuck behind DARTS on the way to connolly?
Train was really packed. Did anyone hear announcements for stations along the way? All I heard was announcement for skerries, and then the usual 'stand clear of doors' and then connolly, tara and pearse announcements.
You would think they would timetable it so that the DART from Malahide leaves immediately after the Commuter train goes through the station. Also, have a Howth DART waiting at Howth Junction to join the line after the Commuter goes through.

I would have thought it is a lot simpler to run a punctual railway than one with so many variables like there are at present!
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2007, 18:24   #11
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrontress View Post
You would think they would timetable it so that the DART from Malahide leaves immediately after the Commuter train goes through the station. Also, have a Howth DART waiting at Howth Junction to join the line after the Commuter goes through.

I would have thought it is a lot simpler to run a punctual railway than one with so many variables like there are at present!
A DART is waiting on the northbound platform @ Malahide each morning. But because the suburban train is running late, everyone tries cramming onto it.
And by the time it reaches Howth Junction, there is also a southbound DART (8 carriage) waiting there.
That Malahide DART will be stuck behind the Drogheda and Howth service, hence why they try to get on it.
A lot of the delay occurs waiting for a platform at Connolly. I assume earlier DARTs are running late.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2007, 09:05   #12
Unshelved
New to the board

Hurray, it was on time today! Well 5 minutes late - which is almost as good.

However, thanks to the idiot getting stuck under the bridge at Grand Canal Dock, it looked like it was going to be stuck in Pearse for quite some time.

Sometimes a commuter's life is not a happy one.
Unread 18-10-2007, 12:49   #13
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Did you notice the last two carriages were different than the others and had more modern seating today?

Yep not so late today, if only it could be this reliable more often!
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote